Notices

High rev issue....I don't know what to call it

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:25 AM
RAI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm telling you guys, there's a weird spot in the Stage 1 map. Don't use Cobb's stage 1 until they throw up the new maps. Seriously.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:38 PM

update....so i sat in the garage, switched back to the stock map, did 3 3rd and 4th gear pulls, all was fine. pulled over, switched back to the stage 1, same 3 3rd and 4th gear pulls, all fine, so i thought maybe it had taken care of it self since the comp is reset when remapping. that was last monday. no prob since, then driving tonight, it happened again....but now there's a CEL. not sure how to post the logs, so whoever can take a look for me give me your email or PM me and i'll send over. if the service department is open on sunday, i'll see if i can get the new relay. otherwise, it'll have to wait until monday. what's the possibility of any permanent damage?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by BadKarmaCreepin
update....so i sat in the garage, switched back to the stock map, did 3 3rd and 4th gear pulls, all was fine. pulled over, switched back to the stage 1, same 3 3rd and 4th gear pulls, all fine, so i thought maybe it had taken care of it self since the comp is reset when remapping. that was last monday. no prob since, then driving tonight, it happened again....but now there's a CEL. not sure how to post the logs, so whoever can take a look for me give me your email or PM me and i'll send over. if the service department is open on sunday, i'll see if i can get the new relay. otherwise, it'll have to wait until monday. what's the possibility of any permanent damage?
sales@englishracing.net

I wont be able to get to it until monday though.

aaron
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:13 PM

thanks, i'll email them over tomorrow, no rush.

after digging the link about the blue, the green and the dreaded black fp relays, i figure that should be a switch i do regardless. any chance the dealer will just hand me one free of charge since it's still under warranty? what worries me is that it finally gave me a CEL and there might be something else wrong because i've been jerking around with it.

best, dan
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:04 PM

ok, so i got bored and decided to go checking out the relay box. with the pics from the link - thanks for that - i identified the fp relay and switched it with the black one directly south of it. not sure exactly what i was switching out, but gave it a go. i logged a 2nd and 3rd pull, all good again. then i did a 4th pull, jerky again. and i ran the code that was thrown at me - P0234-Turbocharger wastegate system malfunction. i reset that before taking off, but after switching the relays, didn't come back on. oh, the joy of engine problems.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not engine problem.

P0234 = Turbocharger OVERBOOST

Log your boost or use a gauge to check it, I'm assuming this is only happening at full or near full throttle?

Possible issues:
Boost Leak and turbocharger overboosting to compensate
Your "Box" Tune

Check for boost leaks - if none, get a custom tune at a reputable tuner
Problem solved.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this is not occurring at full throttle or near full throttle you may have a Blow off/Diverter valve issue. If you are feathering the throttle during lower RPMS while building boost, the blow off valve will sometimes do a quick succession of open/close/open/close causing the car to kind of stutter. Again, this can either be because your BOV is leaking, or simply due to the way your driving your car. Turbocharged cars don't like throttle feathering on and off, especially at low rpms while building boost.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:28 AM

Would the wastegate problem be causing the jerking in high rpms? And is there a way to eliminate the fp relay as the problem? I have logs, if you PM me your email, I can send them. Thanks a lot guys for the help.

Best, Dan
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by RAI
I'm telling you guys, there's a weird spot in the Stage 1 map. Don't use Cobb's stage 1 until they throw up the new maps. Seriously.
This was due to overly aggressive mivec tuning, 2011 + stage 1 is fine ( think it is 2010+ but I can't remember )

I ran the stage 1 map on my 2011 x with no problem
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:42 AM
RAI

2012's definitely have an issue with stage 1.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:31 AM

Yeah there is something wrong with stage 1 93 octane. I had the same issue last night multiple times. knock ran up to 8 counts on full throttle and the second run I had boost all the way to 26PSI. This has been going on for about a week now I can't see myself putting my car through all this unnecessary abuse anymore. My fuel pump relay is brand new cause I replaced it about a month ago and I checked the vacuum lines are all where they are supposed to be. Go back to the stock tune, get a pro-tune, e-tune, or wait till the updated map comes out only options at this point. Unless someone can figure this map out and adjust it for me. Someone stated to adjust WGDC but there is like 5 WGDC options in access tuner.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:16 AM

I had the same problem. I was getting fuel cut around 6k rpm and knock sum was up to 15-17... Worst on stage 1, but still there on stage 2. Replaced the fuel pump relay and no more fuel cut and knock sum = zero on all the rpm range.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:16 PM

re-mapped to stock, runs fine. i sent the logs to aaron @ english to see what hell i've been putting the car through.

is there any specific way i should be logging? i just started recording, ran it up to 7k a couple times, then shut it off.....but the MAF showed 200's, which from what i've read can't be right at all. i did see boost hitting 27, which i believe is a no-no. i'm running with the fp relay switched witht eh one directly below it in the fuse box. only other thing i can think of is the cold chicago weather, but the computer should adjust for the cold weather, right?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

I just ran into the same problem yesterday and today. I think the colder weather may be playing a factor a bit because i hadn't had an issue prior. I'm running the COBB Stage 1 +SF map on my 2011. I am going to run some logs tomorrow and see what the deal is.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

So I got worried and couldn't wait. I ran a log with me just starting around my block then opening it up a bit in third and again in fourth. Third gear boosted to about 28. I had to wait at a light and then the fourth gear pull i boosted to 27 then it tapered to 24 and knock sum hit 6 and 9 real quick. Not sure what other values i should be looking at. This has only started recently, could it just be the cold?

Also, if i did want to return to stock tune, how do i do so? I read somewhere that Stage 0 is not real stock?

Quick Reply: High rev issue....I don't know what to call it