Notices

AP V3 Mounting Solutions?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AP V3 Mounting Solutions?

So, not even 6 months of owning the AP3 and I've had to redo my 3M double sided tape over 3 times. It's almost as if the AP is too heavy because the 3M tape always undos from the top and over time the AP begins to sag forward until eventually the whole thing comes off.

I have mine mounted exactly like this and have circled where it always comes undone. I've tried different 3M (supposedly stronger for outdoor) from Home Depot and still does the same thing.

Another issue is the cable. The two... well I'm not even sure what to call them...push-in buttons that you use to release the cable from AP have... well... broken. It's been a real PITA to remove my AP3 lately.

Anyone else having similar issues?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same issue, tape doesn't stick. Every time I get in the car I have to re-push it back on. Thou, I take the AP off the mount which helps.

I think I might move it to the left side and screw it to the trim, since it's short and SHOULD be cheap to replace IF the time comes.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Speedd
I have the same issue, tape doesn't stick. Every time I get in the car I have to re-push it back on. Thou, I take the AP off the mount which helps.

I think I might move it to the left side and screw it to the trim, since it's short and SHOULD be cheap to replace IF the time comes.
I usually take it off every time the car is not on. Still, the same problem after a couple days.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

In order for the Double sided tape to STICK ON for a long time,
take a sand paper and sand the back of oval shape piece. It is too GLOSSSY and not flat thats why tape wont stick very long. And YES MY CABLE BROKE too same exact tab I called cobb for a free replacement.

Last edited by 3000GT-GTO; Sep 17, 2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have this problem daily. I thought about roughing up the mounting face like 3000GT suggested but haven't done it yet. I'm just going to buy the clip on mount so I dont have to worry about it anymore.

I think the main reason why this happens is because the suggested place to mount the AP is not on a flat surface as well as the weight of the AP itself.

Last edited by .Adam; Sep 19, 2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Sanding the back increase weight capacity by double due to more surface the tape can stick on.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 06:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 3000GT-GTO
Sanding the back increase weight capacity by double due to more surface the tape can stick on.
Most of the guys here also scuff up the back of the mount as well, works for most even in Texas heat. If you guys are wondering about how the pro-clip mounts here it is...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Does this mount simply clip into place? What are the yellow pads all about? Are they just padding or do they stick onto the dash/in the vent?

Old Sep 29, 2014, 04:53 AM

The yellow that you're looking at in the picture is double sided tape, you peel it off and then mount it onto the vent.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

Ahh....so there is no guarantee that this piece wont fall off all the time like the stock unit then¿?¿

I sanded the **** out of the stock mount and guess what? The tape just comes off from the dash now lol. I think I need stronger tape
Old Sep 30, 2014, 06:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by .Adam
Ahh....so there is no guarantee that this piece wont fall off all the time like the stock unit then¿?¿

I sanded the **** out of the stock mount and guess what? The tape just comes off from the dash now lol. I think I need stronger tape
The tape is there to keep it from sliding side to side in the vent, its pretty tough to get the pro clip to move once it is mounted since it uses the pressure of the trim pieces to keep it in place. The install guide can give you a better idea http://www.proclipusa.net/instruction.php?sku=854051
Old Oct 2, 2014, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

If your going to sand it and why don't you just bolt it to the piece and get rid of the 3M tape anyway? Seems to me to be the logical thing to do. I am doing this when I can find some free time.

Oh and BTW - Cobb Tuning Plano Rules!!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

I'm curious as to why the install steps stop at just installing the mount to the dash. How does the second mount connect to the mount on the dash? It looks like its screwed into it but the pictures do not show any mounting holes.

Old Oct 2, 2014, 03:32 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts

^I've been using that. Clips onto the vent. It does shift a very small (hardly noticeable) amount while spirited driving (turns). Haven't bothered to secure it with something yet. Other than that, no complaints.

Last edited by .M.; Oct 2, 2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 07:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by .Adam
I'm curious as to why the install steps stop at just installing the mount to the dash. How does the second mount connect to the mount on the dash? It looks like its screwed into it but the pictures do not show any mounting holes.

Our mounts come with holes pre-drilled for the pro-clip/ap mount. The generic Evo pro-clip does not, the instructions listed are pro-clips.

Quick Reply: AP V3 Mounting Solutions?