Notices
Discussion / Rumors The rumored Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI. .What have you heard? What do you think?

"Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by selp
Making 350-400 hp on a hybrid that gets 35-40mpg. Where the hell is the argument or the problem there? ..
The world evolves, and so does technology. Like it or not.
No problem at all just saying there is no need for hybrid for 35-40MPG. It's been done without it and with better power to weight ratio.

I have driven a few hybrids for work and they just don't feel right. Maybe because one was a Prius the othe was an Escape which were pretty low in power to begin with they don't drive right and have terrible feel especially when you're on slippery roads or are driving the car with a bit of enthusiasm.

If you can make a powerful car but without the use of hybrid technology as a crutch for fuel economy I'd say that's the way to go.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Eagle 5,
This wont be by any means your typical hybrid car. You got to move away from the experiences that you have had of previous hybrids.

I am sure Mitsubishi knows that this is a performance car, such that the new edition will need to outperform the current version of the Evolution X. Im sure they just wont throw a battery on a 4 cylinder and call it Evolution XI. But for now, everything is just stipulation. Well have to wait and see.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 5
No problem at all just saying there is no need for hybrid for 35-40MPG. It's been done without it and with better power to weight ratio.

I have driven a few hybrids for work and they just don't feel right. Maybe because one was a Prius the othe was an Escape which were pretty low in power to begin with they don't drive right and have terrible feel especially when you're on slippery roads or are driving the car with a bit of enthusiasm.

If you can make a powerful car but without the use of hybrid technology as a crutch for fuel economy I'd say that's the way to go.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Eagle 5,
This wont be by any means your typical hybrid car. You got to move away from the experiences that you have had of previous hybrids.

I am sure Mitsubishi knows that this is a performance car, such that the new edition will need to outperform the current version of the Evolution X. Im sure they just wont throw a battery on a 4 cylinder and call it Evolution XI. But for now, everything is just stipulation. Well have to wait and see.

I hope so but I'm a bit skeptical that hybrid technology will make a sizeable and positive leap in time for a 2014 model.

I'm thinking a turbodiesel with KERS or something along those lines will power the next Evo.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

I hope so but I'm a bit skeptical that hybrid technology will make a sizeable and positive leap in time for a 2014 model.

I'm thinking a turbodiesel with KERS or something along those lines will power the next Evo.
I am also a little skeptical. I just can hope they get this done right. As I am sure that Evolution XII Will be a much better version and so on with the rest of the future Evos, that being said Mitsubishi doesn't dump the Evo platform.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

I am also a little skeptical. I just can hope they get this done right. As I am sure that Evolution XII Will be a much better version and so on with the rest of the future Evos, that being said Mitsubishi doesn't dump the Evo platform.
Agreed. Till then my X will fit the bill just fine
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just wanna see how it looks.

I mostly go mitsubishi for style. I mean I could get a genesis coupe or a wrx and they're pretty much equally as good platforms these days.

If it looks as sick as all the rest of the evos im more interested. I'll go test drive it just like I do with about every new car.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:41 PM
Maz

So i just read this entire thread. I'm worried a little about it but I have to say KNOWS what they're doing. I mean they created the Evo right? I agree that who cares what the platform is. As long as it Drives like an Evo, is as fast or faster than an Evo iX and X, is equally as easy to mod, and as long as you get that thrill that we all LOVE about the Evo's. It's true maybe the X will be the last TRUE Evo or the IX for those who hate on X's but the point is this could be a whole NEW generation of Evo line up's. We won't know how good or bad this idea will turn out to be until we see it though.

Worst case scenario this idea goes to sh*t and everyone stay's happy with VIII, IX, X's that they have.

Just have faith in I'm sure they won't let us down.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Maz
So i just read this entire thread. I'm worried a little about it but I have to say KNOWS what they're doing. I mean they created the Evo right? I agree that who cares what the platform is. As long as it Drives like an Evo, is as fast or faster than an Evo iX and X, is equally as easy to mod, and as long as you get that thrill that we all LOVE about the Evo's. It's true maybe the X will be the last TRUE Evo or the IX for those who hate on X's but the point is this could be a whole NEW generation of Evo line up's. We won't know how good or bad this idea will turn out to be until we see it though.

Worst case scenario this idea goes to sh*t and everyone stay's happy with VIII, IX, X's that they have.

Just have faith in I'm sure they won't let us down.
i agree lets wait and see, and frankly im excited to see this new path....torque alone is going to be CRAZY
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it will not be like KERS. KERS is only used to assist acceleration when the battery is charged. The battery quickly discharges and the F1 cars resume under their own power. KERS is supplemental. KERS recaptures energy from braking and stores that energy in a flywheel. This is ideal for F1 where you do not have stop and go driving and where KERS can be used on straightaways and then recharged under braking. You need a lot of speed to capture braking energy.

On the other hand, the Toyota Hybrid at LeMans was capable of running solely on electric power and it was used for both entering and leaving the pits. From what I have read, there will be two electric motors, one on each front wheel that will allow the next Evo to be able to run either alone for a short distance or in tandem with the 1.6 liter turbodiesel.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
No, it will not be like KERS. KERS is only used to assist acceleration when the battery is charged. The battery quickly discharges and the F1 cars resume under their own power. KERS is supplemental. KERS recaptures energy from braking and stores that energy in a flywheel. This is ideal for F1 where you do not have stop and go driving and where KERS can be used on straightaways and then recharged under braking. You need a lot of speed to capture braking energy.

On the other hand, the Toyota Hybrid at LeMans was capable of running solely on electric power and it was used for both entering and leaving the pits. From what I have read, there will be two electric motors, one on each front wheel that will allow the next Evo to be able to run either alone for a short distance or in tandem with the 1.6 liter turbodiesel.
Actually, if you were to deploy motors at the wheels, it would be extremely easy to recapture energy. KERs is a mechanical storage system, but if you deployed an electrical storage system via integrating a generator into the motor, you would be able to modulate the excitation field to extract power from kinetic energy and store it in electrical energy...at any speed (except 0 obviously)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZCHF
Actually, if you were to deploy motors at the wheels, it would be extremely easy to recapture energy. KERs is a mechanical storage system, but if you deployed an electrical storage system via integrating a generator into the motor, you would be able to modulate the excitation field to extract power from kinetic energy and store it in electrical energy...at any speed (except 0 obviously)
Yeah, but do you honestly think Mitsubishi is going to go to all the expense and engineering to incorporate a KERS system into the car? These systems are very expensive, hence their use primarily in F1. Remember that KERS is used only upon acceleration to supplement the power of the engine. At the moment, no F1 cars can run independently of the gas engine. I would think that Mitsubishi would do something more along the lines of the Toyota TS030 where the car can run just on the batteries or supplement the power of the engine.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

I already know the layout and design (I used my all-seeing eye), and it should be very interesting. In terms of current road vehicles, it will be closest to a Volt (a series-parallel hybrid), only much more powerful and much faster (e.g., a Volt goes 0-60 in ~9 secs; the EVO XI should hit it in half that).

There will be three electric motors, one in front and two in rear. There will be an internal combustion engine (ICE) in the front linked in series-parallel to the electric motor. The battery pack should be 15-20 kWh and provide roughly 30 miles of electric-only range (might only be 10 kWh, meaning < 20 mile range). The ICE will only come on in sport mode or when the battery is depleted. At highway cruising, the ICE will run the front motor as a generator to power the rear motors (and feed excess power into the battery).

Some quick estimated numbers on what to expect:

Power (including ICE): 320-400 kW; ~ 440-540 hp equivalent
Torque: 780-980 lb-ft
Curb weight: ~ 4,000 lbs
Electric-only range: 20-30 miles
Total range (including gas/diesel): 330-350 miles
Top speed: ~120 mph (can't see it being any higher)
Acceleration, 0-60: 4.0-4.5 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.5-13 seconds

A couple of thoughts:

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of transitioning to diesel. I think that their logic is that they will want to be able to put equal power to all four wheels under certain situations, so the ICE that they use must be able to produce enough power/torque to keep up with an 80-100 kW motor. Also, from an efficiency standpoint, diesel will garner better mileage and higher efficiency, but the former is based purely off of energy density (favors diesel over gasoline) and the latter is mitigated by gasoline engines running an Atkinson cycle. So, that being said, the weight savings of a high-efficiency, aluminum block engine might be advantageous in a car that will very likely be pushing 4,000 lbs. Plus, it has the advantage of being able to run other fuels like E85.

Also, I'm very interested about how they are going to create the driver interface, and that is key, in my opinion. Electric cars and hybrids have many strengths and advantages over standard ICE cars, but they can take a bit of coaxing in order to maximize those strengths. With three electric motors, when you let off of the accelerator, you'll feel a deceleration akin to an F1 car, unless they have other settings available. Most of the hybrid/electric cars at this point are fly-by-wire, and there is very little interaction while driving. That works for commuter cars, but that has to change for the EVO XI. There must be some mechanical interfaces that do more than just set-it and forget it, and the handling and characteristics of the car will change so much from mode to mode that driver MUST be able to control them directly on the fly. No toggling, no lag, no step-by-step procedures. Just driver input, car response. Period.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

^ Welll, you must have been a fly on the wall. That is the single most comprehensive explantion of the new Evo XI. If true, that is pretty much like I have read. All the media has said the next Lancer will be bigger and heavier. 4,000 pounds though, yikes. Anyway, however you got this information, it is pretty cool. If you are a Mitsubishi employee or work for a vendor, I just hope that your supervisor's don't find out about it.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

It would be good to have some sort of source...
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Power (including ICE): 320-400 kW; ~ 440-540 hp equivalent
Torque: 780-980 lb-ft
Curb weight: ~ 4,000 lbs
Electric-only range: 20-30 miles
Total range (including gas/diesel): 330-350 miles
Top speed: ~120 mph (can't see it being any higher)
Acceleration, 0-60: 4.0-4.5 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.5-13 seconds

Id be willing to give up 100 of that hp estimate for 600 lbs it would be worth 45k in my mind

Quick Reply: "Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.