Notices
Discussion / Rumors The rumored Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI. .What have you heard? What do you think?

"Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuCrazy
Totally agree with you there buddy, the Evo should be on its on platform.

My concern with the next gen Evo is the fact that their doing a diesel electric hybrid. The diesel part sounds ok but its the electric part that worries me. Electric powered sports cars do tend to accelerate pretty fast but having all those batteries in the car just makes the car heavier then it really needs to be not to mention all the time it takes to charge batters. I read somewhere that the new Evo is expected to do 0-60 in something like 5 seconds which is pretty good but i don't think its fast enough to make it justifiable to drop in an electric motor and a bunch of batteries adding wight to the car. Drop the electric part and go all diesel this will help keep building cost down and suggested sales prices which can only help boost sales.
I agree with you. I do think with proper power to weight ratio a turbo diesel or even a direct injection turbo gas engine could accomplish the the same goals but with a better outcome
Old Sep 8, 2012, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rip03tarmac
I agree with you. I do think with proper power to weight ratio a turbo diesel or even a direct injection turbo gas engine could accomplish the the same goals but with a better outcome
GDI Mivec turbo should have been best step forward while retaining or lowering the current weight of the chassis.
However big heads don't seem to share our vision. We shall see if some news appear about new model this month, regular Lancer is supposedly scheduled for 2014, so we should have some info about it in some time in next following months(also I think that currently diesel in this story is not achievable, especially that they didn't use Mivec system in new outlander diesel, in;for me unfamiliar reasons), I hope that also that new outlander phev is refference to new evo.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003-2005. Evo 8 3 years
2006-2007. Evo 9 2 years
2008-2013? Evo X 6 years+

Guess the XI will last 10 years or so
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by shrtstuff89
2003-2005. Evo 8 3 years
2006-2007. Evo 9 2 years
2008-2013? Evo X 6 years+

Guess the XI will last 10 years or so
I don't see it that way. I also don't think there was an 07 evo. The measure of time should be by platform ; ct9a 2001 - 2006, cz4a 2008- present. If you look at it this way most evo platforms last about 5 years with a possible face lift here and there.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:48 PM

I Guess Ill be sticking with my IX but still gonna go test drive the XI once its out
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just hope it will stay with the same design or close but less weight and all that mitsu techno wizzardry
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:49 PM

I love the freak-outs going on in this thread.

If catered to the marginal Evo customers, they'd be out of the car business faster than you can say AWD. What keeps a car company's R & D budget healthy? Sales. Sales of no, no not the Evo; that's a halo-type car that gets people in the showroom. The sales of plain-jane lancers and outlanders is where makes a profit. The whining that it's not going to be using dated, inefficient engine technology is short-sighted and selfish (and probably most of the guys complaining can't even afford an Evo).

The bottom-line is that dozens of Mitsubishi fans here are writing off a car which hasn't even had its power plant confirmed yet, let alone begun development - Masuko said simply "I have set the goal of developing a sporting car featuring electric power" - not "I'm going to make a diesel-hybrid that performs like a Prius". The assumptions going on are pretty insane.

could produce a beastly hybrid or diesel-hybrid, AWD sport sedan that gets great fuel economy and smokes around a track (BMW M550XD, Acura NSX anyone?). Maybe it'll be a total flop - who knows? I can't predict the future, no one can. If anything, it certainly sounds like Mitsubishi is *evolving* its platforms... Let's see what innovations and evolutions they can produce.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

i think that much of what you said in here has already been said in other posts in the last 41 pages of this thread, some of it several times over. thats why this thread has become painful to even go back to.

one thing i dont agree with you on is that the development of this car has not begun yet, unless there will be no evo 11.

Originally Posted by Talaryn
I love the freak-outs going on in this thread.

If catered to the marginal Evo customers, they'd be out of the car business faster than you can say AWD. What keeps a car company's R & D budget healthy? Sales. Sales of no, no not the Evo; that's a halo-type car that gets people in the showroom. The sales of plain-jane lancers and outlanders is where makes a profit. The whining that it's not going to be using dated, inefficient engine technology is short-sighted and selfish (and probably most of the guys complaining can't even afford an Evo).

The bottom-line is that dozens of Mitsubishi fans here are writing off a car which hasn't even had its power plant confirmed yet, let alone begun development - Masuko said simply "I have set the goal of developing a sporting car featuring electric power" - not "I'm going to make a diesel-hybrid that performs like a Prius". The assumptions going on are pretty insane.

could produce a beastly hybrid or diesel-hybrid, AWD sport sedan that gets great fuel economy and smokes around a track (BMW M550XD, Acura NSX anyone?). Maybe it'll be a total flop - who knows? I can't predict the future, no one can. If anything, it certainly sounds like Mitsubishi is *evolving* its platforms... Let's see what innovations and evolutions they can produce.

Last edited by pltek; Sep 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PZ.eu
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/pub...etail0853.html
Looking that new outlander PHEV will have around 190kW/250hp with 1.8t of weight, it doesn't sound that bad at all. Thinking that Evo will have 140kw(my assumption)+80kwx2 with 1.7t (3750 pounds I think) of weight doesn't sound bad and with torque that these engine will deliver I think it will be unique monster to have. But still I hope they retain regular setup with something new: Mitsubishi's GDI technology coupled with MIVEC(something Nissan did with their DI engines an VVEL) with less weight, wild dreams atm.
I can't see the EVOs layout without three electric traction motors, one in the front (mated to the diesel/gas) and two in the rear. Otherwise, it will be an unbalanced AWD system. The main question is how powerful the electric traction motors will be. I can't see them being anything less than 60 kW (like the Outlander PHEV motors), which means 180 kW + whatever the diesel output is (probably enough to balance the system and run the front motor as a generator).

Originally Posted by chlucero
Does anyone think that it might be possible to just simply remove the hybrid **** (battery and generator) and make the next Evo a turbo-diesel?; because I think that a pure turbo-diesel evo would be pretty cool.
You could, but the car would be slow as crap. You might as well just stick to an EVO X rather than spending several grand to make your ~ 4 second 0-60 mph car a < 150 hp diesel that would be lucky to get to 60 mph in under 10 seconds.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

And for those of you who don't believe that Mitsubishi has already started development and is heavily invested in electric vehicles and hybrids, this article is from October of 2011:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2011...-20111006.html

In other words, they are expecting enough capacity to make 50,000 electric vehicles a year.

Also, more information on Toshiba's titanium lithium oxide (TLO) cells, which might be the battery of choice for the EVO XI:

http://e2af.com/review/081218.shtml
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rip03tarmac
I also don't think there was an 07 evo.
there was an '07 LANCER EVOLUTION IX, it just wasn't sold in the US.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
And for those of you who don't believe that Mitsubishi has already started development and is heavily invested in electric vehicles and hybrids, this article is from October of 2011:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2011...-20111006.html

In other words, they are expecting enough capacity to make 50,000 electric vehicles a year.

Also, more information on Toshiba's titanium lithium oxide (TLO) cells, which might be the battery of choice for the EVO XI:

http://e2af.com/review/081218.shtml
I think they will go for GS YUASA batteries, which are proven in MIEV and in Pikes Peak and I think regular GS YUASA batteries are the ones that come stock in Mitsubishi. So I don't think they will drop the YUASA batteries all of a sudden.

Last edited by PZ.eu; Sep 13, 2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:49 PM
Account Disabled

While newer diesels are awesome, I don't think this will turn out well.

Last edited by Mildred470; Sep 12, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:59 PM
Account Disabled

Looking forward to seeing what they have up their sleeves.

Last edited by Stanl66ey; Sep 12, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PZ.eu
I think they will go for GS YUASA batteries, which are proven in MIEV and in Pikes Peak and I think regular GS YUASA batteries are the ones that come stock in Mitsubishi. So I don't think they will drop the YUASA batteries all of a sudden.
Lithium Energy Japan makes the batteries for GS YUASA. I'm assuming that GS YUASA is just the front/label company, because they have other branches doing R&D, lead acid batteries, etc.

Still, the Toshiba TLO batteries are interesting, and because Mitsubishi is buying so many of them, they must be planning to use them for something. They have faster charge and discharge rates than the lithium ion, so they would be the right choice for higher performing applications.

Quick Reply: "Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.