Notices
Discussion / Rumors The rumored Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI. .What have you heard? What do you think?

"Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZCHF
I guess I didn't really notice where you were coming from...just assumed you lived in the states and had the same perception of Mitsu as I do. That said, I agree, their global marketing strategies are sure to vary based on region. Like you said, here in the US, they seem to be focused on the EV side of the equation. I'm not sure what percentage of car sales come from Europe and US, but if it is indeed a large amount, then it still makes sense to have the Evo follow suit as an EV. I have a hard time seeing them price it at much more than 50k.

50k is already A LOT for a Mitsubishi
Quite frankly European sales are equal to just Russian/Ukranian/Kazakhstan sales. US sales are equal to Phillipinese(but knowing that Phillipines are much poorer than US people, and that car market acting is different, thats pretty much great result for Mitsubishi there).
They retain their image where they are good, but change image for 180° where it goes bad. EV change is I think is long planned, but US/Europe(Japan is already on Mitsubishi EV products) as falling markets for Mitsubishi are taken as first test markets to place their new products.
Just so you know US+EU(no Russian and alike markets) barely even make 1/10 of Mitsubishi sales, might be wrong about it, but thats poor result for 2 major markets for some company. We might not be surprised to see Mitsubishi here having full EV and econo range, while having gas-guzzlers for GCC and other markets, from what I saw thats exactly what they are trying to achieve.
And I hate that some marvels never came on our markets, for instance:
1. GDI on US market(would have probably show better results than what they were at that time, Europeans were not so much "excited" about it)
2. 4g9X top tier engines(GDI's, MIVEC's, Turbos), which were given to Far East Markets, not only Japan.
3. EVO I-VI(no debut on US), Lancer GSR Turbo(4g93 Turbo engine, awd Lancer-Far East Market only), FTO(JDM), 8th gen Galant Station Wagon(no debut on US), someone would kill for g63bT Stock Starion these days , 6th Gen Galant hatchback(it was in EU, but not in US, why? Idk) - all of these cars would have done something on either EU/US markets, but for some reasons not released.
I really think there is something wrong with Mitsubishi people and their market perception, they had high production and sales numbers in 2000(both US/EU), but by 2010 all of that was is no longer there, just some pathetic reminder that you are actually selling there.
Why do I speak these stuff, here it is why: I am for Evolution XI EV, but I am for next level of petrol-turbo Evolution XI and variations of it, but if they only release XI EV and fail at it, there won't be no coming back, money lost, evo cult and evo heritage would be damaged forever. Evo carries weight of its own, its last remaining pure Group A road going rally car in unaltered shape(don't get me wrong, but its still rally biased, awd and most importantly 2.0T, what I mean is, its not much faraway from original homologations), does anyone remember Celica Alltrack, GVR4, Legacy, Lancia Delta Integrale or consider Subaru or Focus as cars that associate them on rally, the answer is most of the times: NO, but when you mention Evo, you could hear stories of rally, Makinnen, and being some kinda of schitzo car that goes around everywhere and everything.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I owned and loved the 1st and 2nd gen Eclipse. 3rd gen sucked. Evos 1-X were each a masterpiece.... The 3000GT was a great car...heavy but still great. Even the Colt was great.

What do each of these cars have in common?

Mitsubishi MIGHT have a decent car with a Evo XI, and its all speculation...but Im suspecting this car is going to be like the Eclipse Gen 3.

I wish Mitsubishi would make a car like the BRZ.... I have been asking for that ever since they released the 3rd gen eclipse and stopped the 3000GT.

My next car is probably going to be the BRZ STI if I buy new.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PZ.eu
The more I read this thread, the more I think that Evo will not actually come as a hybrid at all, soon.
Why? Outlander PHEV is not even being sold yet. Everything you say conceptual about that sounds like: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$,$$
The money that I think Mitsubishi cant afford to spend on low volume sportscar, yes compairing with it with possible use on econocars, where the price might not be so higher than usual ones, the Evo one will come as 6 digits one. But soon everything will be revealed.
Will more than likely be like the Acura NSX - trickle down tech, so top of the line tech in the Evo, will find it's way into the base models over time. So makes sense to introduce it in the flagship model, Evo XI, and then let it makes it's way down into the base models...
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could see the next Evo (Evolution XI) having many of the features of this car. Except for being 4 door.

It's the Mitsubishi RA Concept. Was originally debuted at the North America Auto Show in January 2008 and nothing since has been heard about it.

Touts a 2.2L turbo diesel that outputs 310 ft/lbs of torque to the S-AWD system with the TC-SST transmission. It's quite the brilliant car and honestly being part of the Eclipse community for so long, we had hoped this would be the 5th generation of the Eclipse. Unfortunately the concept died, but from some reading it sounds like the powertrain has not died but is coming out in the Evo platform. I'm honestly excited to see this. Living out in California and watching Gasoline prices reach over 5 dollars a gallon and seeing bio-diesel and regular diesel stay in the low 4's per gallon makes me want to change over. Hell if there was more than 2 e85 stations near me I would have switched over to that already.

Give it a chance, Mitsubishi always comes out with some sketchy stuff at first, but the tuner community eventually figures out how to make more power out of it and still have a great time doing it.

Sorry if this is a repost of any old data, just didn't feel like reading through 50 pages...

Last edited by deprydation; Oct 9, 2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

This is probably what Mitsubishi will be shooting for, but at a much lower price point:

http://insideevs.com/drive-takes-new...-a-spin-video/
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by deprydation
I could see the next Evo (Evolution XI) having many of the features of this car. Except for being 4 door.

http://youtu.be/69w1ApxB89c

It's the Mitsubishi RA Concept. Was originally debuted at the North America Auto Show in January 2008 and nothing since has been heard about it.

Touts a 2.2L turbo diesel that outputs 310 ft/lbs of torque to the S-AWD system with the TC-SST transmission. It's quite the brilliant car and honestly being part of the Eclipse community for so long, we had hoped this would be the 5th generation of the Eclipse. Unfortunately the concept died, but from some reading it sounds like the powertrain has not died but is coming out in the Evo platform. I'm honestly excited to see this. Living out in California and watching Gasoline prices reach over 5 dollars a gallon and seeing bio-diesel and regular diesel stay in the low 4's per gallon makes me want to change over. Hell if there was more than 2 e85 stations near me I would have switched over to that already.

Give it a chance, Mitsubishi always comes out with some sketchy stuff at first, but the tuner community eventually figures out how to make more power out of it and still have a great time doing it.

Sorry if this is a repost of any old data, just didn't feel like reading through 50 pages...
Too bad, that thing looks sweet.. I agree with them on the 3g and 4g eclipse lol.. should have kept the turbo 4 cyl around.. at least as an option.

I think mitsu should pair a 2.4L with a turbo awd platform
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

http://youtu.be/69w1ApxB89c

only thing From this concept that came alive is EU Spec Outlander 2.2 DID MIVEC with S-AWC and 177hp
Nothing else.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

only thing From this concept that came alive is EU Spec Outlander 2.2 DID MIVEC with S-AWC and 177hp
Nothing else.
Sad but true... poor Mitsu
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:39 AM

I kinda like it to be honest.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gregalmighty
Too bad, that thing looks sweet.. I agree with them on the 3g and 4g eclipse lol.. should have kept the turbo 4 cyl around.. at least as an option.

I think mitsu should pair a 2.4L with a turbo awd platform

Not to go too off topic, but the 4th Generation Eclipse GT was stock for stock faster and more powerful than any Eclipse. I acutally owned one of these and have wiped the track with a few GST's but couldn't get the jump ever on the GSX's. The 3.8L 6G75 MIVEC engine in them is pretty damn strong all through the powerband. It honestly feels like my Ralliart is quite a bit slower at the moment, but because it shares and engine/trans with the Evo X it has a HUGE aftermarket where the Eclipse didn't. Alot of the things I had done was custom work and took quite a bit of R & D.

I do love the thought of a 2.2L Turbo Diesel with a more refined S-AWC system. It's good how it is, but I'm sure they can make it even better.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Not to go too off topic, but the 4th Generation Eclipse GT was stock for stock faster and more powerful than any Eclipse. I acutally owned one of these and have wiped the track with a few GST's but couldn't get the jump ever on the GSX's. The 3.8L 6G75 MIVEC engine in them is pretty damn strong all through the powerband. It honestly feels like my Ralliart is quite a bit slower at the moment, but because it shares and engine/trans with the Evo X it has a HUGE aftermarket where the Eclipse didn't. Alot of the things I had done was custom work and took quite a bit of R & D.

I do love the thought of a 2.2L Turbo Diesel with a more refined S-AWC system. It's good how it is, but I'm sure they can make it even better.
Well 3.8l 6g75 is more of a Pajero engine than eclipse. I think the real weakness about Eclipse is that the cost of it went up when the colaboration with Chrysler ended.
1g and 2g were actually Galants in Chrysler Coupe platforms, engines were already proven and platforms also, so little money into developing coupe chassis and "voila" a car.
Thats why it was so cheap to buy and best bang for buck in its class, best package served with lowest price.
The 3g only inherited the platform while the engines were new(my honest belief is that SOHC engine should newer be used in sportscar, the end) so the costs ran up, and so did sales follow up the cost in other way, 4g was a costly mistake, new platform with new engine(which didn't quite fit the car), costy in a way that it affected sales at large.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Well 3.8l 6g75 is more of a Pajero engine than eclipse. I think the real weakness about Eclipse is that the cost of it went up when the colaboration with Chrysler ended.
1g and 2g were actually Galants in Chrysler Coupe platforms, engines were already proven and platforms also, so little money into developing coupe chassis and "voila" a car.
Thats why it was so cheap to buy and best bang for buck in its class, best package served with lowest price.
The 3g only inherited the platform while the engines were new(my honest belief is that SOHC engine should newer be used in sportscar, the end) so the costs ran up, and so did sales follow up the cost in other way, 4g was a costly mistake, new platform with new engine(which didn't quite fit the car), costy in a way that it affected sales at large.
It's honestly finally very nice to hear an intellegent thought about what happened with the Eclipse. Very well done sir. +1 to you on that.

However I think if Mitsubishi would have used the non-MIVEC 6G75 supercharged version that was released in the Mitsubishi Galant 380 we would have had probably a better following.

That's just for the GT version, the GS version has tons of potential as it shares the 4G69 with the older Ralliart Lancers.

I think the big thing that bit everyone in the **** was that it didn't come with a different drivetrain configuration. RWD or AWD options would have been brilliant but FWD only is a big turn off for many people.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:08 PM

Sweeeeeet! It will be an EVO that I can tune!! - well, the electric part at least... we will have to see how the diesel generator/electric motor is setup, but I'll probably gut most of it anyway...

The most efficient type of setup will be some sort of permanent magnet rotor solution ... most likely DC motor as its the simplest implementation, but... it has a top speed based on voltage alone... if you can get something in there with field control, you could, theoretically, have almost unlimited speed with field weakening on over-rated speed to keep the motor insulation from burning up...

I can do bad things to this beast... I can't wait...

-A very happy Electric Drives Engineer
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

It's honestly finally very nice to hear an intellegent thought about what happened with the Eclipse. Very well done sir. +1 to you on that.

However I think if Mitsubishi would have used the non-MIVEC 6G75 supercharged version that was released in the Mitsubishi Galant 380 we would have had probably a better following.

That's just for the GT version, the GS version has tons of potential as it shares the 4G69 with the older Ralliart Lancers.

I think the big thing that bit everyone in the **** was that it didn't come with a different drivetrain configuration. RWD or AWD options would have been brilliant but FWD only is a big turn off for many people.
4g63/9 or even 4b11 on GS platform should've been most painless way to make an Eclipse. Interchangability, wide used platform which was again made in colaboration with Chrysler along with one of already mentioned engines. But No, they had to make a platform for only 3 vehicles that were specifically made for "other" markets and ending up with higher price, instead of having "lancer coupe" it ended up being orphan in its misery.
edit: gotta correct myself; eclipse 1g&2g&3g were actually fully made on Galant platform. source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_D_platform, so it was actually coupe-d version of Galant.

Last edited by PZ.eu; Oct 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by djohnson78
Sweeeeeet! It will be an EVO that I can tune!! - well, the electric part at least... we will have to see how the diesel generator/electric motor is setup, but I'll probably gut most of it anyway...

The most efficient type of setup will be some sort of permanent magnet rotor solution ... most likely DC motor as its the simplest implementation, but... it has a top speed based on voltage alone... if you can get something in there with field control, you could, theoretically, have almost unlimited speed with field weakening on over-rated speed to keep the motor insulation from burning up...

I can do bad things to this beast... I can't wait...

-A very happy Electric Drives Engineer
I doubt that they are going to use DC motor technology for this. Honda tried (and mostly failed) with their implementation of a DC IMA (integrated motor assist). In order to make a hybrid/EV marketable at this point, manufacturers have to use AC motors. DC motors are still best for do-it-yourself types, but that is because they don't have a team of engineers to work with.

Quick Reply: "Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.