Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

went to the track ....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2005, 09:53 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
went to the track ....

Ok...got a bunch of stuff but first the car was running 8000ish rpm redline...27psi (so prolly around 500-515 awhp).

I now have to work backwards...i will explain. The car gets TOO much traction! It beats itself senseless when ya launch IF you can get it to go without bogging....only made 3 runs. The first two were 1.9 ish and 2.1 ish 60fts (first was the worst one) and the second run was only 11.9 but both runs i was bouncing off the rev limiter about 100 feet ish before the end of the track...btw this is at dragway 42 which is horrible...but whatever. So the first run i tried to launch like i used to with the old evo at around 6500rpms and let it out as fast as possible (the clutch) without dropping it. Well the car fell flat on its face hard and clunked bad so i was worried the whole rest of the run that something was messed up but still stayed in it and trapped 123.6 or so....bouncing off the limiter (didn't bring the computer ....i need at least 8300rpms to get to the end of the track and trap the 128 ish i will need to get 10s if i launch hard).

So second run i was scared and didn't want to break anything....it felt like the car weighed 8000lbs and had 355 wide tires it had so much traction....so again rev to 7k and hold it....try to let it out slower.....falls on its face but clean runs (thanks to the crazy gripping fast shifting triple disc exedy clutch) . So i get the boost back after the bog pretty fast thanks to the well designed exhaust manifold setup on my slickmotorsports turbo kit as well as the bad *** tuning by Tym Switzer at switzer perf. so i shift through the gears and go through the traps and it was bouncing in 4th for a while...at least one second. So i figured maybe it would be 125-126mph but nope....bouncing off the rev limiter then clutching in and coastin through the traps the last 50 feet or so netted me a 11.9 at 123.95 mph . So i KNOW that i can do high 10s at 128ish if we can rev higher and come out of the hole better but again no computer to up the revs so i figured be done since the transfer case is whineing (i think a lot of it was from the 1st harsh launch ) .

So my buddy that races with me runs it (Brian L.... ) and he gets outta the hole better but still iffy and says later that he short shifted it cause it was so harsh on itself during the launch that he agreed it was going to hurt itself so we stopped but he did run a 11.40 at only 122.88 since he tried to short shift into 5th to see what would happen. Basically i need to work backwards cause the car now isn't like my other evos and stuff were we could spin all the way trough first and run 1.62 60fts with no abuse...this car is too optomized i think. The only things we really changed was the big 255 40 17 RT615s , roll bar setup (think thats a lot of it since it helps against unwanted weight distribution....but its needed at the track to let the tires spin a bit in the front) , and the zeals coilovers. So between those changes the car just GRIPS...which is good but i don't want to break anything.
So we went 11.4 flat at only 122.88mph and i was bouncing early off the limiter not shifting into 5th like he did on the fast run....basically i will work backwards and get a set of rims (CHEAP ONES) and some just decent 235 45 17s and up the revs to 8300ish and go again...hopefully then it will spin and get up the 60fts we need of high 1.5s or real low 1.6s like we used to get with the old evo. Then i feel i can get a 128ish trap and a 10 second pass....stay with me....won't be too long... 94 octane , stock intake manifold, stock throttle body, stock complete motor besides cams and headbolts.... here is a link to the mod list and shops that helped build it with me and also some dyno numbers...keep in mind i haven't upped the boost yet to the 30 psi runs we did on the dyno!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=149659

Big thanks to the places and people that helped me...we will get there shortly everyone!!

Slickmotorsports gt35r equal length manifold turbo kit best kit ever!!
Slickmotorsports 3 inch intercooler piping with precision intercooler core (3.5 inch)
Slickmotorsports 3inch downpipe and piping with JUN BL ti muffler from switzer performance (ABSOLUTELY AMAZING MUFFLERS)
Slickmotorsports intake (4 inch pipe with hks filter)
Switzer performance tuned aem ems w/3.5 bar map (most amazing tuning and some of the most professional people i have EVER dealt with!)
880cc injectors
walbro 255 pump
agency power fuel rail setup
exedy triple disc ceramic clutch
GSC 272/264 I/E setup (awesome !)
arp headbolts
agency power short shifter (amazing product)
hallman in-car adjustable boost controller from www.boostcontrollers.com (amazing item for sure)
alky kit (14psi starting and 18psi max)

Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats on 11s and the 120 mph barrier. All in all not a bad outing for your first time at the strip. Have you thought about putting a small shot on the car to help with the spool up? Sounds like you are launching the car good, its just the car isnt makinga any boost when coming off the line. But like you said maybe if you get a smaller tire that will allow u to lose a little bit of traction and help the turbo make some boost. Goodluck next time out.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:16 PM
Account Disabled

nah dude... i have been here and done that last year. My old evo went 11.5 at 123mph with a small backside gt30r and stock ecu with a pump gas flash...this car has instant boost when i want it...its not that i assure you. The car just gets too much traction with the new suspension, cage, clutch and tires.... i need something to give or my TC or halfshafts will...haha. Its just too grippy for my taste. The old evo was way easier and spun to low 1.6's all day and night with no wear. But it wasn't as well setup...just gonna need the tires to give....easiest thing to change
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:18 PM

I know this will sound insignifigant compared to the rest of your mods, but how do you like your 272/264 i/e cam setup?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

just sumtin a little practice on this car wont solve for low 10s
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:24 PM
Account Disabled

i LOVE THEM!!!! GSC cams are baller...i am going to be switching to 272/272 as i have the other cam here now...but that won't be till later
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:25 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evo_il8
just sumtin a little practice on this car wont solve for low 10s

well i am trying to do it on those stock parts with 94 oct and meth....once i build the motor and up the boot its ON!
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You just need to learn to shift it faster and launch it better. I was in the same boat just a few weeks ago. I thought my car had way too much traction and I would never be able to get it to launch well. I finally figured out that it just needs to be slipped a little more off the line and now i spin all 4 tires with ease and can pull off easy 1.71 60' times without trying that hard and bouncing off the rev limiter a few times before the shift. I am sure tomorrow i will be putting down 1.6's consistantly. Your tires will give, your car makes enough power so they will spin, just let it build some boost first Ill bet in 6 more passes you will run low 11's and shortly thereafter the tens will be hit. Ill let ya know how I do tomorrow.. hopefully Ill hit my goal!
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:46 PM

Whats the general consensus of HKS cams v GSC cams, is there any difference between them other than the company - ie quality, reliability?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Oh and I also figured this would be a great thread to explain to alot of people how a bigger turbo does not make it easier to go faster... just makes it POSSIBLE to go faster. It makes it MUCH more difficult to actually drive the car down the track but you have the capability of running much quicker once you get it all dialed in. Too many people figure once they slap a turbo on thier car it will be a hop skip and a jump to the tens... it is MUCH harder to launch and shift cars with the huge turbos like ours compared to the stocker. Hope to see you running 10s soon!

I also am curious to see if my car is the quickest/fastest car with a MAF.... I will make a thread and see if I can find out after I run tomorrow if I do good and the clutch holds.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:54 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
You just need to learn to shift it faster and launch it better. I was in the same boat just a few weeks ago. I thought my car had way too much traction and I would never be able to get it to launch well. I finally figured out that it just needs to be slipped a little more off the line and now i spin all 4 tires with ease and can pull off easy 1.71 60' times without trying that hard and bouncing off the rev limiter a few times before the shift. I am sure tomorrow i will be putting down 1.6's consistantly. Your tires will give, your car makes enough power so they will spin, just let it build some boost first Ill bet in 6 more passes you will run low 11's and shortly thereafter the tens will be hit. Ill let ya know how I do tomorrow.. hopefully Ill hit my goal!

The learning curve on this car is way way worse then any other evo or awd car i have launched... here look at this thread...mine from last year. TONS of stock stuff (93 octane pump gas flash) super rich....26psi or so....full interior , stock maf, throttle body, intake manifold and such...we ran 1.62-1.63 60fts all the time in that car...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=105552

the biggest issue now is that to get it and figure how to slip it at this power and grip with the setup i have will likely break something in the process of learning....so its easier for me to ease up on the tire size to allow a bit less traction.....honestly guys the setup on this car is insane...its SO optomized and effecient. If i had the ***** a low 1.5 60 is easily attainable. We did have a 1.67 tonight on the short shift and shift into 5th run that slowed it down mph wise but ran a 11.4
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

What happened to the methanol and 550whp? Why did you only run 27 instead of the 30psi w/methanol you tuned it on?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:21 PM
Account Disabled

cause that 30 psi was pretty hard on the motor even conservatively tuned to make only 558 awhp. The motor will be REALLY worked at 30psi during sustained 4th pulls on the road...27psi was enough at the time so i left it....no point in having more power when we are not getting the launch down yet and can't up the rev limiter for the 8300rpms ish in 4th
Old Jul 30, 2005, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Look at the bright side you didn't have too tow it home That is always my biggest worry going to the track in any AWD car.

Good runs and I'm sure you learned alot and will continue too. Can you post a time slip of the run or runs? I would have thought that you would trap a little higher 125-126 range, but that could be attributed too slightly slower shifting.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

I still think he was bouncing off the rev limiter which slowed down the ET. I did that before for one run which ran at 118 mph. No different really in the next run aside from a higher rev limiter (Close to same launch and 60') and somehow I trapped at 122 the next run. This was all at 25-26psi or so. I would think he could probably hit a 124-125 on a full weight car at 27psi without a destructive tune.

You will get the slip down in just a few runs. You floor it and let the clutch out halfway. The tires WILL spin even while slipping the clutch. Once they break or once you get moving over 10mph you can let the rest of the clutch out. By me practicing I am getting to slip it less and less but thats how I learned how to launch the car. I did destroy a clutch in the process but I would rather destroy the clutch than a T-Case or tranny. Launching this way is incredibly soft on the drivetrain.

Quick Reply: went to the track ....