Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Project 12.00 on 91 octane begins!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2006, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO

Carwanson ran 12.0@114.5 on minimal mods on SAR putting only 275whp on a Mustang Dyno. People with same mods run here in AZ 13.0 to 13.5 on a Evo 8.
275whp + race gas...

Carlos, I really don't think that people in Arizona are loosing a full sec/sec 1/2 when compared to TX. If that was the case, your car will be at mid 10's
Even here in Colorado at 6,000ft. we may loose .5/.7 secs compared to sea level. Yes, it gets HOT in AZ but most of you guys run in almost ideal conditions at 60 degrees with low humidity levels.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOfunk
275whp + race gas...

Carlos, I really don't think that people in Arizona are loosing a full sec/sec 1/2 when compared to TX. If that was the case, your car will be at mid 10's
Even here in Colorado at 6,000ft. we may loose .5/.7 secs compared to sea level. Yes, it gets HOT in AZ but most of you guys run in almost ideal conditions at 60 degrees with low humidity levels.
Thaks for the correction Sergio, I fix it, I think I went I bit off on my claims. Anyway, you know what I mean, this is black and white, I ran .5 sec faster in Texas with worse gas, less mods and more weight, would I had better gas, less weight and same mods as in Tucson and probably it would have been a .7 sec improvement.

Don't go any further, remember Sep 04, you expected your Mini Cooper s to be a 14 sec in Tucson and you got a 15.6 best with half of the runs in the low 16's, you know what I mean?

I am not saying you are a bad driver at all, I know you are good, for good sakes you already ran a 12.0@113 with moderate mods, I am saying people have to experience both tracks and test the cars in both sides.

How can you explain everyone is running their Mini cooper S in high 14's with similar or less mods and you manage a 15.6 best?, the answer is the track condition, altitude and temp.

We have to assume and accept some guys are lucky to run faster because of better locations. I heard Houston is one of the best tracks also.

I prove this point hundred of times, the z06 are running low 12 in other parts of the country, I have seen the z06 in the mid 13 here at SIR.

Sergio, a good analogy is when you ran your Mini Cooper S in SIR in Sep 04, you car put 175WHP and 153 torque on a Dynojet, you had a full stage III in your Mini, you even put a few gallons of 100oct the same evening(I was with you when you put the gas).

Remember, your car was probably another 10whp extra since you put the 100oct gas.

I ran a older car(93k miles) that put 152WHP and 153tq on the same dyno and we even weight the same(2626lbs my car) vs(2675 your car).

In theory you should be much faster than me, same weight but about 45whp more and about 10lb/tq more but only ran .1sec faster and same speed..

It is a real mistery, but each track is different, Sergio ran his Evo very fast at Cecil 12.0@113 but he ran not that good here at SIR, I basicly matched Sergios's Mini with 45whp and about 10lb/tq less not to mention my suspension is supersoft compare to his $2500 suspension on his Mini. The suspension can make a world of diference on a FWD car.

I am just trying to bring my point again, people talk alot but I don't see any fast car in Tucson/Phoenix and that is a reality..

My.2c

Carlos
Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Mar 8, 2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Thaks for the correction Sergio, I fix it, I think I went I bit off on my claims. Anyway, you know what I mean, this is black and white, I ran .5 sec faster in Texas with worse gas, less mods and more weight, would I had better gas, less weight and same mods as in Tucson and probably it would have been a .7 sec improvement.

Don't go any further, remember Sep 04, you expected your Mini Cooper s to be a 14 sec in Tucson and you got a 15.6 best with half of the runs in the low 16's, you know what I mean?

I am not saying you are a bad driver at all, I know you are good, for good sakes you already ran a 12.0@113 with moderate mods, I am saying people have to experience both tracks and test the cars in both sides.

How can you explain everyone is running their Mini cooper S in high 14's with similar or less mods and you manage a 15.6 best?, the answer is the track condition, altitude and temp.

We have to assume and accept some guys are lucky to run faster because of better locations. I heard Houston is one of the best tracks also.

I prove this point hundred of times, the z06 are running low 12 in other parts of the country, I have seen the z06 in the mid 13 here at SIR.

Sergio, a good analogy is when you ran your Mini Cooper S in SIR in Sep 04, you car put 175WHP and 153 torque on a Dynojet, you had a full stage III in your Mini, you even put a few gallons of 100oct the same evening(I was with you when you put the gas).

Remember, your car was probably another 10whp extra since you put the 100oct gas.

I ran a older car(93k miles) that put 152WHP and 153tq on the same dyno and we even weight the same(2626lbs my car) vs(2675 your car).

In theory you should be much faster than me, same weight but about 45whp more and about 10lb/tq more but only ran .1sec faster and same speed..

It is a real mistery, but each track is different, Sergio ran his Evo very fast at Cecil 12.0@113 but he ran not that good here at SIR, I basicly matched Sergios's Mini with 45whp and about 10lb/tq less not to mention my suspension is supersoft compare to his $2500 suspension on his Mini. The suspension can make a world of diference on a FWD car.

I am just trying to bring my point again, people talk alot but I don't see any fast car in Tucson/Phoenix and that is a reality..

My.2c

Carlos
Carlos
45 whp more than your VR6?

I thought my Mini dynoed around 18whp more than your VR6. My Mini was strictly tuned for 93, therefore I don't know if the 3 gallons of 100 oc. helped. The car didn't feel faster at all. I raced 8 times and 6 of them runs were 15.7, not low 16's Carlos...I only had one 16 run after missing 2 gears...But yes, those results were a HUGE dissapointment for a Stage-II 220bhp MCS...What saved the day was the legion of WRXs and 350Z doing 16's on that track.

But yes, you're right, SIR Tucson sucks and I always told you that. I also told you that your car will be in the 11's down in TX, you have the mods to achieve that goal or even more...However, when I was talking about AZ I was thinking about Phoenix, not Tucson. PHX has no altitude issues (just 1100ft.) therefore you can't expect to shave 1/2 sec by running your car let's say in SA or Houston...

...and about being a good driver or not, I don't consider myself a good driver at all. Perhaps the pathetic times I got on the Mini were caused by the fact that it was the first time I ever raced a car on a track...just take a look to my 60's, all of them 2.5's And to date, I still consider myself a mediocre driver, I guess that I just got lucky the day I achieved 12.0...
Old Mar 8, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

by the way, your car dynoed .5 lb/ft more than mine... A full Stage-III is in the 250-275bhp range: cams, 19% pulley, intake manifold, water-to-air intercooler.......and all my car car had was the 15% pulley, catback and intake.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

I know Sergio, goshh , I wish we could run cars in diferent locations. On one side you got people that run fast with silly mods, on the other hand it sounds absolutely crazy but you already know, why soo many people can't run fast around here, it is not just the Evos is it everyone.

Sergio, the analogy was about you being very fast in the North East but mediocre in Tucson, you have perhaps one of the best Evo times in the forum compare with most of the people with Evos and same mods. On the other hand, your got mediocre times compare to your fellow Cooper S owners in other places around the country.

Sorry that I sue you and your cars on this example but I thought that since you run two different cars in two opposite locations under the same driver I thought that it was a good analogy specially coming from you that I known you for 20 years.

My point was about my Golf GTI compare to your Mini Cooper S times at SIR, you know we raced on the same track and we got very similar times, perhaps almost identical ET/ and trap speeds. Two different cars and two good experience drivers. Based on the condition of my car(mods,mileage,power,suspension) I think I did very well. On the other hand we know you are a good driver also 12.0@113-115 with moderate mods.

So I don't know Sergio, I guess that we will have to keep guessing why people in TX run much faster than people in AZ. At least you know my times are ligitimate, I always called live from the track and what makes it even funnier is that I am speaking to you as I am racing the 1/4 mile time, like:

Sergio.. I just launched, I am pulling one car ahead from this guys, I just shifted to second and I am still pulling on him and that kind of stuff.

Carlos
Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Sergio,

This is specifically what you made(I have a hard copy of your dyno run, I requested when I dynoed mine), by the way, I was off when I said you were 45whp more than me, you were probably about 35whp more with the added 100oct:

02 Mini Cooper S (Pulley, Boral exhaust, CAI,DIgitec custom tuned) aprox 210-220hp crank

175.86whp @6750rpm
152.26lb/tq @ 4100rpm

My Golf GTI vr6(93K Miles) (CAI)+ one silencer off

153.06 WHP @5750rpm
152.29lb/tq @4000 rpm

My car weighted 2626lbs at the track, yours was 2600 and some cash. I ran on 91 only, you ran on 91&100. I ran stock suspension, you ran with full KW coilovers.

You ran a 15.6@91 I ran a 15.7@91

We know each other very very well(20 plus years), I know you are a heck of a driver but you see my point?, I ran almost as fast as you with less stuff (about 35whp less)on the same track. So what can it be my friend?

My only 4 runs were all between 15.7 and 15.8, you even ran a 16.536@89.71 and a couple other 16's , yet you can run 12.0 in the East coast..

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Mar 8, 2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOfunk
by the way, your car dynoed .5 lb/ft more than mine... A full Stage-III is in the 250-275bhp range: cams, 19% pulley, intake manifold, water-to-air intercooler.......and all my car car had was the 15% pulley, catback and intake.
Thanks for the clarification.

Carlos
Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

it's all good Carlitos...you'll be soon in the 11's and I'll be here to congratulate you.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

I know you will Sergio.. Thanks. It is a thing of proud, people know you ran 12.0 with small stuff, and for people like Evotexas that might question why we(AZ) evos can't get any decent times I explained myself and gave myself some good credit at SIR compared to your runs at SIR.

Talk to you later. By the way, it is all good off course Piques de miusic

Carlos
Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

so far the weather is looking ok for friday's event (partly cloudy). we will see by 5PM though...
Old Mar 11, 2006, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by housedj
so far the weather is looking ok for friday's event (partly cloudy). we will see by 5PM though...
Housedj,

I was at the track with a good friend of mine that is also good friend of mine, Mike (poorboy), I took some pictures with him, he drives the blue Evo but he never races. You know who I am talking about? Tall, skiny,redish/blony dude..

Carlos
Old Mar 11, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs down

not sure who he is. didn't get a chance to run Project 12.00 last night. took 1 1/2 hours to get teched in Project 11.49. then that car's clutch went bye-bye...
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up Update

Perrin DP installed. Walbro FP going in on the 24th with a retune. we'll see what she'll do that Friday since my M3 summit trip was cancelled.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:58 PM

cant wait, ill be watching this thread, i personally like the idea of a fast car on the 91 octane, im pulling for you.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

fuel pump wasn't ordered so i guess i'll try to run the car next week...

Quick Reply: Project 12.00 on 91 octane begins!