Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Pointers for getting my 8 to 12s without mods?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pointers for getting my 8 to 12s without mods?

Here is my slip from Tuesday night from my 05 Evo8. I ran 6 passes in the 13.03-13.11 range.

60: 1.86
1/8: 8.33 @ 85.4
1/4: 13.03 @ 102.5

I'm still using the stock 5000 rpm rev limiter and the car is falling completely out of boost when I launch. I see a 21 psi spike on my gauge and then it falls to 16 psi by redline. I had a good pass going with a 1.82 60 but I missed my 3-4 shift and still ran 13.06. I think that was my 12.9. I am not powershifting and I really have to lube up with the KY jelly and shift 3-4 like grandma.

I just want to hear some things that I should try next week to knock off a tenth or two consistently.

-Lose the rev limiter? What rpm should I launch at?
-I'm falling to 16 psi. I have a ball and spring MBC that I have not installed. Would that help me hold more psi to redline? Some people say no, some say yes.

My 1/8 mph was high, but my 1/4 mph low. I'm not picking up much speed on the 2nd half of the track. I'm picking up 17-18mph. What about you guys?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DRAG; Apr 6, 2006 at 09:19 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

oops...double post
Old Apr 6, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You suck at driving

With out mods huh , dont miss 4th gear next time .
Take out all the jack , spare and ect ..
Fold in your side mirrors in .
better 60's (remove the 5k limiter ?!)
Old Apr 6, 2006, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

What tire pressure are you running?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Dont ask me how it happened or why but I once saw a guy run a 12.5 with a STOCK 03 Evo. He pulled out his filter and dropped the exhaust at the track. I think he had race fuel though. We were in the stands looking at this yellow car with a big wing with the "WTF was that face" after he ran the 12.5. Didnt even know they were in the states yet back then. (spring 03)

Oh yeah, if you cut a 1.7 60 ft, you should be good for 12's.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRAG
I'm still using the stock 5000 rpm rev limiter and the car is falling completely out of boost when I launch.
Ditch that rev limiter so you can launch higher, around 5.5k.

I missed my 3-4 shift.
Don't miss the shift.

I have a ball and spring MBC that I have not installed. Would that help me hold more psi to redline? Some people say no, some say yes.
Anyone who says that an MBC won't help you eliminate the stock boost taper is an idiot, install it.

I'm picking up 17-18mph. What about you guys?
I picked up 27MPH in the back 8th, mods in sig.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys. That's what I wanted to hear about the MBC. I asked Warrtalon if that would eliminate the boost taper and he told me no and that I was stupid and that something was wrong with my car if it was tapering like that to 16 and make fun of me for having a Honda...so that is why you see my bitter comments about that *******!!

I actually ran 9 passes and only missed that 3-4 on 2 of those. One pass was 13.5 because I coasted it out and the other was a 13.0. The slip I posted was with no missed shift.

So 5500 rpm without the limiter? I'll give that a try. Thanks again fellas.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What the hell are you talking about? I have never spoken to you, and why in the world would I ever say an MBC wouldn't reduce boost taper? No MBC can 100% eliminate boost taper, but it certainly will reduce it. That's the whole point of getting one. Where are you coming from with these comments related to me when I've never spoken to you. Do not make crap up.

Then, lastly, why do you need to ask us for help, when the answer is right in front of you. YOu don't need an MBC, you don't need any tips, you don't need to change shifting.

All you need is to cut a better 60'...that's it. End of story. Any 1.7 is a sure 12 based on the times you're showing. I don't know how you're getting those low 13.0s with weak 60's and low mph and granny shifting (should be seeing 13.4s), but whatever you're doing is working at that particular track. Just cut a good 60' and you're done.

Imagine someone coming on here and saying that _I_ told them an MBC won't reduce taper...what a joke.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Oh yeah I don't know what tire pressure I had. They are my Hankook W300 Icebears and I just drove to the strip and ran. I'm assuming full pressure on those...probably 35psi+. It was hooking up and just felt like a complete bog.

I tried a few months ago when I first got my car and had 1000 miles on it, but I was driving like a moron and could only muster a 13.70 @ 98.5-100.5 mph. I was shifting at like 6500
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

I've seen people get 1.7X 60' with stock limiter / clutch, so i wouldn't really worry about that much at this point. Basically just work on that launch a little more, perfect that ****. Or you can remove the clutch restrictor pill..

And ah, install the boost controller, and don't miss shift. You will be happily in the 12's.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
What the hell are you talking about? I have never spoken to you, and why in the world would I ever say an MBC wouldn't reduce boost taper? No MBC can 100% eliminate boost taper, but it certainly will reduce it. That's the whole point of getting one. Where are you coming from with these comments related to me when I've never spoken to you. Do not make crap up.

Then, lastly, why do you need to ask us for help, when the answer is right in front of you. YOu don't need an MBC, you don't need any tips, you don't need to change shifting.

All you need is to cut a better 60'...that's it. End of story. Any 1.7 is a sure 12 based on the times you're showing. I don't know how you're getting those low 13.0s with weak 60's and low mph and granny shifting (should be seeing 13.4s), but whatever you're doing is working at that particular track. Just cut a good 60' and you're done.

Imagine someone coming on here and saying that _I_ told them an MBC won't reduce taper...what a joke.
I talked to you through AIM and you treated me like a retard when I asked a couple simple questions about my boost taper. If it weren't for that I wouldn't have brought it up, and I shouldn't have. That was me being childish but I just had to bust your ***** after you were a ***** to me and treated my like an idiot.

My AIM was vtecluke99 and you started bashing on me for being a Honda guy just because I had VTEC in my name. You voluntarily told me how much of a piece of sh*t they are. I tried to be modest and say "well my honda is a low 10 @ 130+ car on the motor alone so I wouldn't go as far as to say its a piece of sh*t" You proceded to say that they are such junk that they shouldn't even be allowed to be called cars.

Ha ha. You are a ***** dude. Everytime someone posts a decent time, you get on there and tell them how much they suck at driving and all this stuff they need to do to be like you. You take offense when other people do well. That is the other reason I brought you up in the first post...because I knew you would be in here talking trash anyway!!!!!!1

Back on topic. Thanks for the advice guys!!! And Warrtalon...I apologize for busting your *****. It was all in good fun
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRAG
Thanks guys. That's what I wanted to hear about the MBC. I asked Warrtalon if that would eliminate the boost taper and he told me no and that I was stupid and that something was wrong with my car if it was tapering like that to 16 and make fun of me for having a Honda...so that is why you see my bitter comments about that *******!!

I actually ran 9 passes and only missed that 3-4 on 2 of those. One pass was 13.5 because I coasted it out and the other was a 13.0. The slip I posted was with no missed shift.

So 5500 rpm without the limiter? I'll give that a try. Thanks again fellas.
You must have spoken to the wrong person because no one would believe he said that a boost controller wouldnt help. And i thought you were trying to run 12's stock. Why the mention of the boost controller if your goal is to do it stock.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KOEvo
I've seen people get 1.7X 60' with stock limiter / clutch, so i wouldn't really worry about that much at this point. Basically just work on that launch a little more, perfect that ****. Or you can remove the clutch restrictor pill..

And ah, install the boost controller, and don't miss shift. You will be happily in the 12's.
Sir, thanks for the reply. Will removing the restrictor be a noticable change? That is in the master cyl correct? Sorry I don't read the forums much.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You didn't bust anyone's *****. You made yourself look like a moron by spewing lies about me. I also don't tell people they suck when they run better times than I do. More lies. Keep it up, tool.

Yes, 10-sec gutted Honduhs are not even cars...they're just lightweight shells that sounds like crap and are very annoying. I hold to that opinion quite firmly.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
You must have spoken to the wrong person because no one would believe he said that a boost controller wouldnt help. And i thought you were trying to run 12's stock. Why the mention of the boost controller if your goal is to do it stock.
I asked him on AIM and he said something was wrong with my car if it was dropping to 16 and that the boost controller would NOT help. I have the MBC, so that is the only reason I ask. I have no goals to do anything stock.

I honestly think he just didn't want to talk to me because of the Honda **** syndrome. The conversation went downhill from there!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to learn more about my EVO that I love so much without spending 5 hours a day reading through this forum. I have a racecar to build and time is a precious commodity.

Thanks for all your advice and I'm going to send Warrtalon some flowers or a cupcake or something since i stirred the pot so much.