Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

HIGH Altitude times from Area 51 Raceway

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2007, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HIGH Altitude times from Area 51 Raceway

Well, this is the first time I have run my Evo anywhere since SIR in Tucson so its nice to have some comparison, first off track is @ 3600 ft, Roswell NM, I ran twice on pump, 12.7@113.09 spinning bad, then a 12.4 112.74 spinning but not as bad. I was on half a tank of 90 octane and dumped 5 gallons of C12 which put me near full, higher than I like to run. Turned the boost back up to 25.5, and hit 12.008 @ 115.31, most of my traps were in the mid 115 range so i am convinced the SIR traps are off in the right lane. I could not hit another 11 but traction got worse as day went on. My new best mph is 116.25, so at least something imroved. I figured the car would be slower at higher altitude. Anyway, Sir is not as slow as I figured, and the import turnout @ Roswell was lower than Tucson for sure. Tucson is at 3075 ft for those interested. Also the forge WGA is holding boost better at the higher setting now, it @ about 20-21psi at the 7200 shift point so this probably accounts for the better MPH.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rob,

Good stuff!! two observations:

Your trap speed on pump is still very high compare to the only 2 other Evo 9s with similar mods that use to race with you at Tucson(Evo9girl and Justin).

The two last best times you did in Tucson SIR were in great wind and temp conditions, this m,ight play in favor to SIR when comparing it to the Area 51 track. Just my .2c

Congrats on your new trap speed improvement.

Carlos
Old Apr 15, 2007, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Carlos, the temp and wind were ideal here, cant complain or make excuses, i ran a 1.72 60 ft which is my best ever, it was 60-63 degrees most of the morning but it got up to about 70 by afternoon and there was almost no wind until the end of the day with a very very slight headwind, maybe 1-2mph. The only prob i had was as the day went on traction got worse, as opposed to better at SIR, and my last few runs my 60ft were all 1.9 spinning all of first gear, and all those last runs were 12.4 range all at mid 115. But bottom line 116.25 AT 3600 FEET is very good and i know i can get an 11.8 run out of her if i can get my best 60'(1.72) my best 1/8 mile speed 91.6 and best trap 116.25 to line up on a single run. maybe even an 11.7, pero quien sabe, un dia, de veras? And keep in touch let me know how the new car is.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rob,

I have been busy lately but you know I am always down for any car event. I am having tons of fun with the Eclipse GSX now, it is my Evo replacement and I love it more and more everyday.

I have done huge improvements since the last time you saw me at the track were I was poping my intercooler pipes and BOV at 17psi, in fact you were there helping me to push the car out of the track.. Now I can hit 24-25psi and have never poped any piping yet.

I personally designed the piping and took it to a fabrication shop to get everything done for real (all silicone hoses, new 02 and ET bungs custom welded, new BOV custom sheet metal bracket, new custom boost neeples), you name it.

Rob, it is very ironic how I heard from all the forums about the "crank walk". Look at my setup, 24-25psi on untouched/stock original 91000 miles internals, driven on 91oct, no knock, no smoke, no leaks.. you got to love it. Car got a new paint job, new Evo 9 rims with new Toyos T1R and new suspension set up, project GSX final part will be release at the end of this week,my newest 12 sec daily driver little Evo brother will be release for the pleasure of this forum.

Changing the subject ,let me know when you are in town, my next race will be at Firebird, remember, you never took your car to Firebird raceway. You should also take your car to AZdynochip and put some race gas and break the 400whp/400tq barrier on their dynojet, AZdynochip and Firebird are physically less than 5 minutes away..

Evo9girl's car will soon get a clutch, brakes and I just got her new tires.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Apr 16, 2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Sweet, tell her hi, I wont be back until Nov unless any jobs changes occur. Let me know what the GSX runs, never heard too much on the crankwalk on the older ones, I think it was overplayed, but who knows. I am saving up for some new parts but prob wont be until right before I get back, and I am going to try and get an eflash from AL for the higher octane fuel, instead of just upping boost.