Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Nitto Drag radials, are they good?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitto Drag radials, are they good?

Anybody run the Nitto drag radials?

I tried to order BFG's and eveyone was out tirerack, Discount tire etc. So I ordered them. Need tires for the shootout at Norwalk.

Any input would help.

Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by WhtEvo05
Anybody run the Nitto drag radials?

I tried to order BFG's and eveyone was out tirerack, Discount tire etc. So I ordered them. Need tires for the shootout at Norwalk.

Any input would help.

Thanks
I used them on a Corvette and they hooked well. The BFG's hook better hot but both are similiar cold. Plus they lasted way longer than the BFG's.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I havent heard anything about the Nitto drag radials. I know of a few people that tried the 555r's and werent happy at all with them. I loved my BFG drag radials thats for sure but I know they are rather scarce for some reason. The size I had on my car they actually discontinued but you should be ok with the 17".

Mike did you try Summit for the BFG's?

Oh yeah one more thing.....If the car stalls off the line dont blame the AEM. BWAHAHAHA!

See you guys in a couple weeks!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

I started a thread in the wheel/tires forums but not a lot of hits.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=297769

I'm looking for some BFG's as well for the weekend but hard to find and i'm not sure if the 245/45 17 Nitto will fit on my car since it's lowered.

I'm worried when it squats off the line it may rub...a lot
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

WhtEvo05, we used the 245x45 17 on OKIX's car and ran 4 1.6xx 60ft times on a bad track. The bite was good when tire pressures were 21-22 psi. Tire wear is reasonably good when used on the street (if that's really possible on a drag radial). I've also used BFG dragradials on a 340whp Beetle and they are my first choice for good traction. The BFG's show better traction when scrutinizing the tread after doing hard launches. The Nitto's would be my second choice, behind the BFG's, provided you can find the proper size you're looking for.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9sec9
WhtEvo05, we used the 245x45 17 on OKIX's car and ran 4 1.6xx 60ft times on a bad track. The bite was good when tire pressures were 21-22 psi. Tire wear is reasonably good when used on the street (if that's really possible on a drag radial). I've also used BFG dragradials on a 340whp Beetle and they are my first choice for good traction. The BFG's show better traction when scrutinizing the tread after doing hard launches. The Nitto's would be my second choice, behind the BFG's, provided you can find the proper size you're looking for.
Was his car at stock height?

Would you guys happen to have any pics of them on the car?

Thanks for the info.......i really wish MT made a DR for us
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

The car was not at stock height. It was lowered about 1.25" or so. OKIX will post a picture with sideview. Hope it helps.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i tried both, the Nitto's would wheel hop a lot, and the BFG's seemed to launch smoother. So I would say BFG's if you can get them... I have a contact with BFG and I can get them in a few days, maybe order them directly and you will get them sooner
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fimotorsports
i tried both, the Nitto's would wheel hop a lot, and the BFG's seemed to launch smoother. So I would say BFG's if you can get them... I have a contact with BFG and I can get them in a few days, maybe order them directly and you will get them sooner
Sounds like the impression i had when i ran Nitto's on my 03 Cobra.

OKIX & 9sec9 thanks a lot for the pic

What kinda springs you got on the car?

Mine has Tein springs .......think the Nitto's would fit

Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

it has Apexi N1 coilovers
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Nitto and BFG are good...but of course personal opinion will differ. I've heard/read good things about the Nittos on the Honda boards; then again BFGs are my personal fav. brand of all time. So it's a toss up! Hard to believe 17's would be hard to source, when I'm lookingf at 14's here...
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We tried to get them all over...It seems to be hit or miss but cant find a set of 4 anywhere in stock. We have the nitto's coming, We will see what happens. It will be interesting to see how these do since our car is on BFG's right now and already (1000 miles) wearing out.

-Emery
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
We tried to get them all over...It seems to be hit or miss but cant find a set of 4 anywhere in stock. We have the nitto's coming, We will see what happens. It will be interesting to see how these do since our car is on BFG's right now and already (1000 miles) wearing out.

-Emery
My car was rolling 1300 miles on them when I sold it and the new owner has about 2000+ on them. Still a decent amount of tread on them.

Check your air pressure and alignment cletus!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
I havent heard anything about the Nitto drag radials. I know of a few people that tried the 555r's and werent happy at all with them. I loved my BFG drag radials thats for sure but I know they are rather scarce for some reason. The size I had on my car they actually discontinued but you should be ok with the 17".

Mike did you try Summit for the BFG's?

Oh yeah one more thing.....If the car stalls off the line dont blame the AEM. BWAHAHAHA!

See you guys in a couple weeks!

Yeh Yeh Yeh !!! I'm never going to live that one down...I know it.

Going to give the Nittos a try since we can't find any BFG's.

It better not rain this time ....so you better start the anti - rain dance now

Mike L

Quick Reply: Nitto Drag radials, are they good?