Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Stock turbo record vs Stock TYPE turbo record

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2007, 04:59 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOB23
There is an Evo 9 in P.R. a while back that ran 132 I believe its Procos driver. With stock Ecu and stock Turbo. If not 132 some where in that range.
This is not correct either.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 9sec9
No, I don't know anything about turbos. I blindly build and tune OKIX's car. I've also only built a custom twin blown Lamborghini with 800 whp, in conjunction with Eaton Engineers and Lamborghini USA. I've only been racing since the 60's and helped set multiple track records during the 70's on small block mopars. I only raced pro-stock motorcycles in the 70's and built all of my own engines, porting included. But let me think, do I know anything about turbos, hhhhhmmmmmmmmm (as you would say), no, to a rookie I guess I know nothing.
I didn't mean any disrepect by asking you this I'm sorry you took it that way it was a simple honest question. Well seeing how you know something about them you understood my point i was putting out there I am sure you understood what i was trying to say.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

There is an Evo 9 in P.R. a while back that ran 132 I believe its Procos driver. With stock Ecu and stock Turbo. If not 132 some where in that range.
No, Oscars car did 10.8@128 in P.R. his screen name on here is raceman its in his signature.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbo8
No, Oscars car did 10.8@128 in P.R. his screen name on here is raceman its in his signature.
That was with the laughing gas (75 shot IIRC)
Old Oct 11, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

it was acctually a 85 shot he has it in his sig. I don't see a problem with using alittle spray. The only problem with that is when it comes to someone using spray against someone with out and that would make me want to put them in a different class
Old Oct 11, 2007, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Ah yes 85 shot. Maybe I was thinking of someone else running a 75.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No harm and no fouls to any of the posts. At the end of the day, we all run our cars because we enjoy it. Not just for a record, but for our own enjoyment and to spend time doing something together. At least we've discussed some of our opinions of what is stock and what is not. We've also fairly well established what the records are, at least without nitrous. The nitrous should have it's own, but that's my opinion. I've got to shut this computer down, hop in my truck and head my happy-*** Northeast and hope the rain is clear by Saturday morning. Hope to meet some of you at Norwalk.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Yeap thats my car better mph was 131 running 85 shot & 24 psi stock ecu no reflash only apexi afc2 my better time was 10.84 @ 128 1.81 60ft my best hp on spray was 465 @ 24 psi 85 shot but once i put 26 psi and did 502 but never test it now i have a race custom engine and very soon would be pulling good numbers on the stock turbo an a lot of spray and trying to be the wolrd record holder on stock turbo. Stock turbo is stock turbo and if you have spray or meth you still have your stock turbo Just my to cents

at
Procco Evo driver
Oscar
Old Oct 11, 2007, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

It should be broken down like this:

Stock turbo....stock ecu
modified turbo (anything other than stock).....stock ecu

Stock turbo....EMS
modified turbo (anything other than stock).....EMS
Old Oct 12, 2007, 04:39 AM
Evolving Member

Well in that case Oscar holds mph record.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:32 AM
Fomer Vendor

But if nitrous is used its a different class/category. You have to think about it like this, a turbocharger is a power adder, so is nitrous, so are superchargers. There are NHRA (I believe NHRA) classes that allow you to run one of those power adder's, you can use any one of the three I listed, but you cannot use two. You will see races between a turbocharged car and a nitrous car in the same class. Same should apply here. So if you run nitrous on the stock turbo and set a record, then you have the record for the stock turbo with nitrous. It is "still just a stock turbo", but you now have two power adder's so you shouldn't "compete" with someone that is running stock turbo only.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

In that case then Yes I understand you.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So break into:
Stock Turbo(EVO 9 comp housing and 10.5 is ok)
Stock Style Turbo(20G9LT or any turbo utilize stock housing)
Nitrous class(Stock or Stock Style with nitrous)
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nitrous and turbo can be used in the weight class the Evo falls within, in the powerstreet class.

Problem is that the turbo can be stock or a monster. Running a stock turbo against a monster turbo is not necessarily how you would best with that class. You will end up with a T66 equipped CRX trapping 140mph+ whipping your ***.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Oct 12, 2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Just got sent over to this thread. I have an opinion on it (of course)

I would say there should be a stock turbo record but a stock turbo on an EVO should include any available turbo from the 200-2006 turbo. I honestly haven't seen any power gains in using the EVO9 turbo over the EVO8. Yes, the turbo works a little better and doesn't surge but as far as peak power, the compressor wheel and turbine wheel are identical, so the turbos are the same. So I say a stock turbo means a stock turbo as you could have found on any 2003-2006 EVO.

The stock ECU, it's nice for bragging rights but has no place for an actual record to be classed from. I ran 7.81 at 175 mph on a stock ECU, big deal.

Beyond that for turbo records just about every turbo has a place for a record for atleast comparison. So the 20GLT will end up having someone with a record, the 35R will have someone with a record etc.

Fact is currently Curt Brown holds 3 ET records that I feel can be considered actual records.

He ran 10.5X on the stock turbo.
He ran 10.5X on the 20GLT/Green turbo.
He ran 9.33 on the GT35R.

All of these records are extremely fast and will be nearly impossible for anyone to reach. You have got to be willing to do what it takes to get there and most guys are not going to go to the extremes that Curt did to reach them. Not to mention Curt is a driving fool.

When nitrous comes into play........who gives a crap. That's my opinion. I think at that point what you do with the stock turbo or any other turbo becomes it's own "record". NITROUS USE MUST ALWAYS BE STATED AND CONSIDERED A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RECORD/TOPIC.

Nitous has never been that popular amoungst the 4G63 crowd and hopefully never will.

We've run it and I am guessing we will end up running it again, maybe before the year is over Still, if a record is set on the bottle it's a completely different deal.

With that said, the winner of the race or the fastest/quickest guy is STILL THE FASTEST/QUICKEST regardless of what he did to get himself there.

Quick Reply: Stock turbo record vs Stock TYPE turbo record