Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Stock turbo record vs Stock TYPE turbo record

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2007, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock turbo record vs Stock TYPE turbo record

Ok, everyone who has a car is claiming some type of record. I would like to get an understanding of the difference between STOCK TURBO and STOCK TYPE turbo.
As most of you know, OKIX is pushing his 20G-LT to new heights and it's very confusing as to what the community is calling STOCK records. Curt Browns' website claims the STOCK TURBO record at 10.92 and 124.58 mph here:
http://www.cbevo.com/9.html

On the 10 second list, it is noted that he has the stock turbo record at 10.59 @ 127 mph. The videos as well as David Buschurs posts seem to point to a 20G-LT being used, not why I knew as a stock turbo. I also see several people in Puerto Rico changing out the hotsides of VIII's, calling them stock and claiming records. Either the turbo is factory stock for YOUR car, or it's not. I agree that it's stock for another car, just not YOUR car. If changing out PART of the TURBO, such as hotside, or compressor housing is still considered stock, then ANY part should be stock.

In a nutshell, what the hell is the record and is there two type records?
1) Stock Turbo Record
2) Stock TYPE Turbo Record (which would include all cars with the turbo's modded in any way.

What does the community recognize and does anyone know what the records truly are?
Old Oct 9, 2007, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would say stock as in factory stock turbo. The 20g-lt or fp green is a great turbo but shouldn't be considered "stock" as that Evo didn't come from the factory with that turbo. As far as the hotside change... that is a pretty grey area, but again I would say stock as it came from factory. If someone is claiming it is a stock turbo on a 03 and running a 10.5 hotside, it should be notated as that, as it clearly didn't come from the factory that way.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
IMHO, "stock turbo" means the turbo, as a whole, comes with the car.

Replacing internals clearly qualifies as an aftermarket turbo. As far as the SCCA is concerned, you can't so much as replace your intercooler or piping, let alone your turbo components without going into the highest "Rally Prepared" category, up from the middle "Rally Modified".
Old Oct 9, 2007, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with both posts above. Stock is stock. What's confusing is trying to set a record, and not even knowing what that record is, nor when you break a record, did you really break it using same 'rules' or not. It's very difficult to claim a record when no one really knows what the record really is. I stand to be corrected, but Curt's record of 10.59 @ 127 was set using a 20G-LT at basically the same time that David Buschur's ran a 10.89. Is the 'stock record' actually made on a 20G-LT or not? I really don't care how the community wants to recognize records, I'd just like to understand the ground rules and move on to making our attempts. By reading old posts and recent posts, I became confused as to what turbo was used for Curt's run of 10.59. Also, if the 20G-LT is NOT stock, then neither is the 10.5's used on many VIII's, or IX turbos being used on VIII's. I know that some classes in NHRA recognize cars as 'stock' as long as the model of car came with the option from the factory. Again, makes no difference to me, I'd just like to know what the records are and how they're recognized.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 03:19 PM
Fomer Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My view

Stock turbo's:
1) Evo 8, 9.8 hs
2) Evo 8, 10.5 hs
3) Evo 9

Each would be its own category for a record. But there could be more then 1 record setter for each, as changing say the ECU. Then you would have "Stock 8, 9.8 hs turbo on stock ECU" and "Stock 8, 9.8 hs turbo on X EMS". It could go on forever. I don't think there will be a set rule for one turbo, unless someone makes a Class or something.

The 20g-LT is not a stock turbo as you can't buy it OEM, it would be stock style, or type like you said. My other beef would be a 9 turbo on an 8, that would be "a" stock turbo, but your car didn't come with it and never could have. Same with a 10.5 hs on an 03-04 8 (almost positive they switched it in 05).

In OKIX case, I don't think "stock" would be in the record line, "20g-LT" would suit it better. Just state the turbo in the claim and that should make it easier.

There was a quote someone on here made, I don't remember the person or the quote exactly, but it was something along these lines, "I could say I hold the record for the fastest stock turbo white Evo driving on a Sunday".
Old Oct 9, 2007, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

well that's not what was asked. The question was what do you consider a stock turbo.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 03:26 PM
Fomer Vendor

Well I answered that and more. So there.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Curt went 10.59 at 127 on the stock evo8 16g. It was not upgraded. Unless you want to count the 10.5 hot side. That turbo was sold on this forum and pictures of it were posted. It didn't even have a clip on the turbine side. He never made a good pass when he tried the 20glt. He only had one track visit with the turbo. He did state his MPH in the 1/8 went from 99mph on the 16g to 105mph on the 20glt. He would have smashed any current records of the 20glt if he had played with the car a little longer. He had lost interest in the car at that point in time and sold it. TTP holds the record for highest MPH on the 16g at 129.8 MPH, but that was done with the evo9 turbo.

I believe Curt went 10.92 on the stock 9.8 hotside. He said there wasnt much difference between the 10.5 and 9.8. I believe he said it was good for 1.5 MPH but he said he had changed other parts at the same time like the 02 housing so its hard to say how much was actually the 10.5 making the difference. I dont think having the 10.5 hot side makes the record any different. That turbo he used came stock on the 05 car so that makes it stock turbo category if you ask me. The 20glt is upgrade never offer by mitsu. Its not a stock turbo at all and should not be called one.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Oct 10, 2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

I don't see anything wrong with switching the hotsides, but I don't think a fully gutted car is much of a stock EVO either. I mean, if I took my motor and stuck it in my moms Corolla, I'm sure I'd have some bad *** times. But having a fully functional AC, and a car that drives on the road daily can be in that category...
Old Oct 9, 2007, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Well I would assume the stock turbo record would be referring to Evo chassis, but as stated before, there are so many factors which some may consider what a "stock turbo Evo" record would be. When I hear stock turbo record, I'm assuming it would be anything goes such as weight reduction, tire selection, nitrous, manifold, exhaust, fuel type etc except for the turbo, but once you go that far why wouldn't you just modify the turbo as well.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fimotorsports
Well I would assume the stock turbo record would be referring to Evo chassis, but as stated before, there are so many factors which some may consider what a "stock turbo Evo" record would be. When I hear stock turbo record, I'm assuming it would be anything goes such as weight reduction, tire selection, nitrous, manifold, exhaust, fuel type etc except for the turbo, but once you go that far why wouldn't you just modify the turbo as well.
Dan, that's exactly how Curt's car was built. His website shows the mods to the car and it's basically a fully built, lightened race car. I'm still not in clear on what turbo he was running. DB clearly said that the 10.59 @ 127 mph run was done with the 20G-LT. Confusion comes in when people quote Curt's times. I've heard everything from 10.5, 10.57, 10.59 and all at 127. Are these all stating the same run, or did he run a 10.57 @ 127 on a different run, different 'stock' turbo than the video'd run of 10.59 @ 127 which I'm certain is the run that David quoted as the run that set the 20G-LT record. 94awd, do you know the answer to this? Which turbo on which runs? 10.92 I'm sure was on the stock turbo, but he's stated that mods were made and the 10.59 came about. I think the 10.59 was on the 20G-LT, anyone know? I absolutely agree about stock being stock. I think three stock records could me kept, 1) stock turbo (for model of car, NO mods 2) Modified turbo (stock turbo with any modification other than THAT car's OEM, and 3) Stock TYPE turbo(20G-LT definitely here). Other turbos such as 3076, 3065, 3582, 4202, 50 trim are all turbos that couldn't be classified as any of the above. I'll state again, I don't think the 20G-LT is a stock turbo, but if it's not, what is the true record for the 20G-LT. If Curt ran 10.59 on a 20G-LT, then THAT's the record and it's not STOCK TURBO. If that's true, then 10.89 is the 20G-LT record, set by DB and that would make Curt's 10.59 the true STOCK TURBO record, but not the 20G-LT record. Which is it, can't be holding 2 records on the same run, claiming 2 different turbos. I guess that's what I'm trying to clarify. We're working hard on making OKIX's car fast, but we have no idea what we're shooting for since there's too many discrepancies in the video'd 10.59 run. I'm in no way putting down (how could you) Curt or his abilities, or his runs. I just want to know where our goals need to be directed, only fair to know what the record truly is.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 07:05 AM
Account Disabled

10.59 was on the EvoGreen.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ASE_Tech@TTP
10.59 was on the EvoGreen.
I just searched the forums on when the 20glt was coming out. The 10.59 at 127 was done on the stock 16g. I found two reliable quotes from 2006 on this. When the 20glt was installed he only made one track visit and two passes. It was good for 10.57 at 128.xxx. Dave rounded the numbers to 10.5 at 129 in his sales pitch for the turbo. There was controversy about this because the 20glt didnt go a whole lot faster than the 16g record. Thats when curt spoke about the turbo and said it was hands down the best street turbo he has ever used. And that he went 6mph faster in the 1/8th with it over the 16g time.

form kevin jewer oct 2006
"According to www.dsmtimes.org, he ran 10.59 at 127 on the stock turbo."

from me dec 2006
"Well I am a little disappointed in these results. It looks like the 20gLT was only good for an additional 20-10whp over the 20g9-5 on a pretty well setup car. Adding c16 and the aem throws any back to back right out the window. The question is what would have this car made with the 20g9-5 and c16 tuned on the AEM? I pretty much had the same question in my mind with curts car. It went 10.59 at 127 on the 16g, then 10.5 at 129 with the 20gLT. The question in my mind is what would curts car have done with the 20g9-5?"

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Oct 10, 2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

I just got off the phone with Curt. I had PM'd Curt to get the info straight from the man who did it. First of all, Curt is very likeable. Open discussion and I look forward to buying him a brew this weekend. As 94awdcoupe stated, he ran the 10.59 127.47 using the stock turbo, with a ported 10.5 hotside. He ALSO ran a 10.58 @ a couple of miles per hour faster, but was only able to make a few passes. With the 20G-LT, Curt did not have much time to dial the tune in, but feels very comfortable in believing that the car would have gone 10.40's with a little time. I don't doubt that a bit. Hell, if he had kept running it until today, it would probably be running 9.90's. So now, as it stands, the Stock Turbo record (with modified hotside) is 10.59 @127.47, the 20G-LT record is 10.58 @ 128.xx mph (his own words, I know 94awdcoupe said 10.57, but Curt says 10.58) Now, we know the records and they should probably be maintained somewhere for each turbo and if it's being claimed as stock, then at least note the variances such as 9.8, 10.5, Larger turbine (20G-LT), different turbo than model year, etc. Again, thanks Curt for 30 minutes of great conversation and B.S. I enjoyed it.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Well I seen here in PR some stock turbo Records Norman Evo 10.9 @ 119 did 1.48 60ft slicks on Evo 9 turbo in Evo 8 car. Annd my car Evo 9 stock evo 9 turbo with 85 shot of spray did 10.84 @ 128 1.81 60ft toyo tires i now with 1.4 60ft those 10.5 would be history. Now I am finishing my car and very soon would be at the track on same stock evo 9 turbo and more spray and slicks so i wolud let you know about the results in the dyno.

old numbers 465 awhp 415 wtq on ST and spray 10.84 @ 128

new numbers coming soon ...

Last edited by RACE MAN; Oct 10, 2007 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Stock turbo record vs Stock TYPE turbo record