Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

New Best Time @ Englishtown

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2008, 07:32 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Best Time @ Englishtown

So I went to the Evo/Sti Shootout this Friday. It's obviously not the "Big" event that happens later in the year but still fun. So last year I went and it was hot and nasty. I ran three times at 12.8 @ 106, which was amazingly consistant being as it was my first time at a track. As far as mods I only switched from an K&N Drop-In to an HKS Rs Intake since last year. I made a total of 7 passes, some of which were good and some bad. Tell me what you think. By the way I have a noticable exhaust leak right at my manifold that I noticed throughout the night. Not sure how it affected my times. My best slip looked like this. Oh by the way, I'm on Falken ZE 912 All Season Tires.

R/T .451
60' 1.742
330 5.077
1/8 7.892
MPH 86.60
1000 10.311
1/4 12.336
MPH 110.95

Last edited by Import Junky; Jun 8, 2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 07:33 PM
Account Disabled

I have a video but I have to figure out how to edit it before I post it.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Nice Job!!!!!
Old Jun 8, 2008, 07:45 PM
Account Disabled

Thanks man, I know some guys on here shift like lightning and can probably better my time with my car but I think it's pretty good.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 07:46 PM
Account Disabled

Maybe someone on here can tell me why my traps speeds are low for my power. Maybe the Exhaust Leak?
Old Jun 8, 2008, 07:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice looks like you picked p some.

Sean
Old Jun 8, 2008, 07:52 PM
Account Disabled

Thanks Sean. I remember you telling me that my traps looked a little low last year for the power I was making on your dyno so I don't get it. I'm happy with my performance and love the tune. By the way I weighed 3300lbs w/driver.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, did you say it was hot and sticky this time or last time? The 355 would typically be closer to 113-114 if conditions were the same as when you dyno'd.

You probably saw my thread from Friday, but I put down 324whp/342wtq on a DynoDynamics (uncorrected) and trapped just under 119 here in Colorado (same conditions on back-to-back days). I'm weighing in at 3300 with driver, too. Are you shifting to 5th by chance? If not, slow shifts can cause you to lose spool and thus lessen trap speeds.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:00 AM
Account Disabled

It's funny you posted here man. I try to use your suggestions as a guide. I was shifting as close as I could to 7k and stayed in 4th, especially since I have a 5speed and trapped so low anyway. Conditions were good so I can't complain. It was in the very low 70's and a little humidity. As for the spool lose you speak of, I still think it's a mix of my exhaust leak and my inexperience at the track. I personally believe I shifted as fast as I could with my experience. I blew 3 out of 7 passes I made that night just trying to shift quickly. Do you have any other suggestions as far as shifting? No lift shifting, power shifting? I don't really know what those are but I have an idea. Sometimes I just wish I had a really good driver go with me and drive my car to see if it's just me.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Well, looking at the splits, your driving looks fine. The 60' is good, and there is no slow shifting that I can detect. You just aren't making power at the track.

An exhaust leak at the manifold is before the turbo, so it could definitely affect your power, but I'm not sure by how much. Powershifting/no-lift-shifting is when you keep the gas pedal floored and just ****** the shift as fast as you can. You don't HAVE to do that to be fast or to shift quickly, so don't worry about that. I do at least the 3-4 NLTS, because it's so easy, but not always the 1-2/2-3, however, I always keep the gas down at least some (50%+ TPS).

It definitely helps when you can ride with someone else or have someone else drive your car just to get a different perspective.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:37 AM
Account Disabled

Thanks for your observation and advice. I already have an exhaust manifold gasket so I'll get that all buttoned up before I go to the track again. I've been looking into getting a tactrix cable and doing some logs. Do you think the logs will show me something that may not be so apparent from my slip?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, they definitely will show information that could help you detect problems or explain why you're trapping so low. If you don't have a wideband, then you won't have AFRs, but you can at least get timing, knocksums, airflow volume, and load.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:43 AM
Account Disabled

I just might have to slap mine on then. I have an Innovate Wideband but didn't put it on yet because I'm undecided about getting a turbokit. I didn't want to use the bung that came with the kit only to end up with a different downpipe later. I think it's more important that I put it on now though. I'll have my local shop go ahead and weld that bung on and then I'll check my AFRs. Thanks again for your help. I'll borrow my buddies cable and do some logs. I'll definately get back to you Warrtalon.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 08:31 PM
Account Disabled

Tty
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Great job for a newbie at the track!!..

Your driving isn't so bad, your car is losing something up top. According to your slip, you only gained about 14mph from the 1/8th to the 1/4-- This is a pretty good sign of you not getting a true 350hp threw the entire 1/4.

Drop your wb in and LOG<LOG<LOG... You'll find any issues going through your logs with a fine toothed comb. That exhaust leak is a very good place to start.