Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Tried to race again, rear axle broke.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried to race again, rear axle broke.

RyuEvoIX, your safe man. The car is gonna be down for a while and I am gonna install my cams while its apart.

I took the car out 2night goin for broke. 16psi in the nitto drags and a 7200rpm studder box on a nice prepped track. Car moved a few feet under power before the driver side rear axle broke.

My Question is, how strong are these stock axles normally? When do you guys start having problems with them. I don't want to throw another stocker in there just to break it, but I really dun want to pony up the $$ for the driveshaft shop stage 5 axle kit.

Fathouse
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Also, does anybody know if DSS still makes a level 2 axle, I don't see it on the webpage.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fathouse
RyuEvoIX, your safe man. The car is gonna be down for a while and I am gonna install my cams while its apart.

I took the car out 2night goin for broke. 16psi in the nitto drags and a 7200rpm studder box on a nice prepped track. Car moved a few feet under power before the driver side rear axle broke.

My Question is, how strong are these stock axles normally? When do you guys start having problems with them. I don't want to throw another stocker in there just to break it, but I really dun want to pony up the $$ for the driveshaft shop stage 5 axle kit.

Fathouse
Holy crap! You were really going all out to break my record Sorry to hear about the axle. You DEFINITELY were launching at way too high of an rpm for drag radials. Without even being there i'm sure you experienced quite a bit of wheel hop. That's what broke your axle, not the actual power your making during the launch. I say throw another stocker in there and launch at a more reasonable rpm like 6100-6400.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fathouse

Fathouse
Lets just put it this way... David Buschur's RS that runs 9.1's has stock rear axles.. This is crazy that you broke one
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
stock axles are pretty strong, only broke 1 myself and that is when I was running drag radials. If you run hoosier they should last longer.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 01:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Its the DR's like a few of us had warned. I am not sure where the discussion took place, but I and a few other had said DR's break more parts than slicks. It is very unfortunate for fathouse as he is a good guy, but hopefully some others can learn from this. People like Mike at AWDMOTORSPORTS and I haven't gotten here overnight with out learning a thing or two. Sorry for the damage fathouse. Just replace them with beefier units from DSS and get on slicks.....

found it page 58-59-etc

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...43#post6029843

Last edited by Most-Wanted; Oct 1, 2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 04:43 AM
Former Sponsor

I know about the bias ply tires being softer on drivetrain parts. Another set of wheels, slicks, and small brakes are just not in the budget right now. I was hoping to get by for a while on the nittos.

The car did not feel like it wheel hopped on this pass, It might have and I didn't feel it but I was only under power for 20 feet or so.

It did wheelhop on the pass before, I let out and got back into the throttle, went a 1.79 60' and still went 11.5.

She will be back on the road soon.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have any pics of the axle and where it broke by chance?

Also what kind of susp are you on?

I too ran DR's and we have another car on them and we both had a litttle wheel hop still. That's why i went to the Hoosier's but would actually like to go to a full slick (MT or Hoosier)

W/ your hp level i'd be more inclined to throw in another stocker and use the DSS money for the brakes, wheels, and DOT'd/slicks.

Or you could always find a spare set of wheels and run the M/T motorcycle slicks.
The following users liked this post:
2winscroll (May 16, 2016)
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

So even with the BFG drag radials you will still get wheelhop?
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blitz118
So even with the BFG drag radials you will still get wheelhop?
Yes even though the compound on the bfg's is better it's the stiffness in the sidewall that does it along with the amount of sidewall as well.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:35 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm running BFG's on mine and all it took was a little wheel hop and SNAP.. I broke my first axle last sunday.. I got another stock one in there for now..

DSS axles are the way to go!! I'm swapping to those and the carbonetic rear diff this winter..

Mark
Old Oct 1, 2008, 01:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Yes radials do that, the more power you make the worse it gets. It also has alot to do with how much you can slip the clutch on the launch.

Sean
Old Oct 1, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune
Yes radials do that, the more power you make the worse it gets. It also has alot to do with how much you can slip the clutch on the launch.

Sean

I'll pass on the drag radials and drag racing. It's not worth all the driveline parts breakage.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 03:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Broken **** rules.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 06:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Mr House ,

As you know, wheel hop kills axles as well as diffs, t-cases, tranny's, etc. If you upgrade the axles and continue to get wheel hop then its going to break your t-case, rear diff, or trans next. Another stocker will be fine as long as it doesn't hop anymore. Like Sean said, it also has to do with your clutch and the ability to slip it. We finally broke an axle earlier this year and have since switched to a set from the driveshaft shop. Ours are not the stage 5's. They have new inner and outer CV's but use the stock hubs.

Keith

Quick Reply: Tried to race again, rear axle broke.