Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!
View Poll Results: How fast do you think I'll go?
Around the same time.. high 12's low 13's
50.00%
If you get a "normal 1.6" 60' you'll hit 12.5's
37.50%
You'll kill it with your driver mod. skills and pull off a lower 12
0%
You will be asked to be the driver of a shop car! LOL
12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Probably going to the track this weekend..

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2009, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably going to the track this weekend..

Well I may be headed out to byron raceway this Saturday and see if the bolt on's helped me or not.

A little back ground, this will be the 2nd time I've taken the car to the strip. The first time was last years Buschur 4-banger shoot-out in which I got 17 passes!! Anyways, at that time my car was all stock besides a K&N drop-in filter and had the spare, and rear/passenger seat taken out... which is still heavier than a stock RS.

I posted a poll and which I asked if anyone thought I'd hit 12's.. blah, blah.. and most said 13.4's if I'm lucky.. well my best time was a 12.95 @ 106.32 mph with a 1.898 60 foot time, and I backed up 12's 2 more times after that.

Now, the car still has the same K&N drop-in filter, but now has a 3" turboback exhaust w/ test pipe, and a quarter master twin disk and is running un-tuned. I just put in new plugs about 2 weeks ago and gaped them to .028 I believe. And the car will have the seats and spare taken out again.

So what do you guys think I'll run if I get the chance to go?
Old May 31, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all you have is a TBE, clutch, and no tune and your expecting low 12's?

What tires?

Maybe with a bad *** tune you can do it.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
all you have is a TBE, clutch, and no tune and your expecting low 12's?

What tires?

Maybe with a bad *** tune you can do it.

Yep that's all I have. No I'm not expecting to run low 12's, it would be cool, but I'm not expecting it. I'm on all season tires, the same tires I ran the 12.95 with last year.
Why are you saying I need a "bad @ss" tune to get low 12's, just because it's a rarity to see someone going fast with minimal mods. untuned? Think about it, IF I could've cut a lower 60' on my 12.95.. to say a 1.79 or a 1.69.. going by the rule of thumb for every tenth you take off your 60' you gain 2 tenths in ET.. Well let's see, that comes out to a 12.75 or 12.55 in nearly all stock form.. and I believe you ran a 12.5 modded.. even though you don't show your mods.

Anyways, I didn't get to hit the track because once I got there tech. stopped me because of the crack in the windshield I got from people going through a construction zone kicking up rocks on the way out there.. So I was a little irritated, but I'll get it fixed and post up the stock vs. modded slip
Old Jun 1, 2009, 06:16 PM
Former Sponsor

^ You are lighter than a RS, there is only 40 lbs difference between the RS the GSR. With the seats and spare/tools removed I'd say your at least 30-40 lighter. If you can drive the car you might hit a mid .80. Good luck.

Last edited by Indy Evo; Jun 1, 2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
^ You are lighter than a RS, there is only 40 lbs difference between the RS the GSR. With the seats and spare/tools removed I'd say your at least 30-40 lighter. If you can drive the car you might hit a mid .80. Good luck.

hmmm.. I thought there was close to a 100lbs. difference between the base GSR and RS? oh well.. ok, now I'm as heavy as a stock RS.. with the spare out..
Old Jun 1, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

http://automobile.automotive.com/483...-rs/index.html
Old Jun 1, 2009, 07:11 PM
Former Sponsor

I think you can do it nate, good luck to you. However im thinking maybe the car has some sort of flash . . either that or that car is a factory MONSTER! Did you purchase the car used? Bring it by the shop we'll hook it up to the laptop and check it out for you.

-Cisco

Last edited by Strictly Modified; Jun 1, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Strictly Modified
I think you can do it nate, good luck to you. However im thinking maybe the car has some sort of flash . . either that or that car is a factory MONSTER! Did you purchase the car used? Bring it by the shop we'll hook it up to the laptop and check it out for you.

-Cisco

Cha-Ching! Yes, I bought the car used with just under 50k on the clock, and all it had when I got it was the K&N drop-in, the same one as is in the car now. The salesman was the previous owner of the car, and he said it was completely stock besides the filter.. (he had to get rid of it, buying a house and starting a family) But as far as a flash goes.. I REALLY hope it doesn't because that would make me feel like

I probably should invest in a boost gauge at least.. then a wide band 02 in the future.

Cisco, let me know if it'll cost anything to check the PCM with evoscan.. or whatever you guys use. Also, I just got a letter saying my emissions test is coming up, and from what I've heard they check for codes stored in the PCM/ECU even if the C.E.L. isn't on. Just wondering because I know there's been a time or two where it's came on for a day or two (no changes to the cars performance) then went off by itself.. So I figure the codes it'll be stored in the P.R.O.M. and make me fail the emissions immediately. So if you could let me know on both of those things, and I'll get back to ya since $$ is very tight right now.

Thanks,
Nate
Old Jun 1, 2009, 08:20 PM
Former Sponsor

The USDM Lancer Evolution IX models (standard; "GSR" in some markets), RS, SE, and MR) varied slightly in their performance capabilities. Subtleties unique to each model accounted for variations in acceleration, handling and top speed. The RS excluded features standard on the standard, SE and MR models (stereo system, power windows and locks, rear wiper, rear wing, trunk lining and sound insulation). The resulting weight savings of over 60lb (27kg) gave the RS a subtly sharper handling responsiveness that helped it shave fractions of a second off the lap times of other models on an identical course.[citation needed] However, the top-end MR had a high top speed, since its 6th forward gear allowed it to reach 165mph (266km/h) at 7,000 rpm compared to 157mph (253km/h) at 7,000 rpm in 5th for the RS and middle-positioned IX models.[citation needed] (Note: Data relevant to U.S. model specifications)

I base my numbers off my scales not published numbers.

I ran a 1.768 60' w/all season radials, 12.86@104.84 with only a tune 100% stock down to the paper filter, boost level, and factory exhaust w/cat. This should give you a pretty good idea where your at.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 08:24 PM
Former Sponsor

You have a pm.

-Cisco
Old Jun 1, 2009, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

The USDM Lancer Evolution IX models (standard; "GSR" in some markets), RS, SE, and MR) varied slightly in their performance capabilities. Subtleties unique to each model accounted for variations in acceleration, handling and top speed. The RS excluded features standard on the standard, SE and MR models (stereo system, power windows and locks, rear wiper, rear wing, trunk lining and sound insulation). The resulting weight savings of over 60lb (27kg) gave the RS a subtly sharper handling responsiveness that helped it shave fractions of a second off the lap times of other models on an identical course.[citation needed] However, the top-end MR had a high top speed, since its 6th forward gear allowed it to reach 165mph (266km/h) at 7,000 rpm compared to 157mph (253km/h) at 7,000 rpm in 5th for the RS and middle-positioned IX models.[citation needed] (Note: Data relevant to U.S. model specifications)

I ran a 1.768 60' w/all season radials, 12.86@104.84 with only a tune 100% stock down to the paper filter, boost level, and factory exhaust w/cat. This should give you a pretty good idea where your at.
So.. your basing this off of the 8 and 9 weighing around the same? Since your #'s are for the 9 and I have a base 8 GSR? Just wondering in case there isn't really a difference in the base GSR 8 & 9..
But regardless.. it looks like you got me on the 60' by a little more than a tenth.. and I brought it down to 9 one hundredths but trapping a 1.5mph faster.. Ahh who knows, only a log and dyno run will tell the story.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Strictly Modified
You have a pm.

-Cisco

Well that was quick.. replied
Old Jun 1, 2009, 08:34 PM
Former Sponsor

The car with an aggressive tune should run a low 12's. With lower 60's and shifting should get you the rest of the way. My junk is running 12.0's easy, no reason you can't. Minimal mods FTW!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

i had my rs weighed and it came up all most 200 pounds lighter than any gsr ive ever seen wieght numbers on. this includes the ssl evo8 gsr i owned previously. Do you really believe that all the power equipemnet, radio, radio speakers, wing, insulation, and ect only weigh 60 pounds? anyways, to each his own. I too base my numbers off scales not published numbers. that i why i know its more than 60 pounds. seen with my own eyes on my own cars back to the topic at hand. You will run a 13.0 -13.5 as you sit weighing in at an rs level. a little history on my car. not trying to be a dick really. but anyway. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/dr...-124-18-a.html

Last edited by Turbojunkie; Jun 2, 2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Turbojunkie
i had my rs weighed and it came up all most 200 pounds lighter than any gsr ive ever seen wieght numbers on. this includes the ssl evo8 gsr i owned previously. Do you really believe that all the power equipemnet, radio, radio speakers, wing, insulation, and ect only weigh 60 pounds? anyways, to each his own. I too base my numbers off scales not published numbers. that i why i know its more than 60 pounds. seen with my own eyes on my own cars back to the topic at hand. You will run a 13.0 -13.5 as you sit weighing in at an rs level. a little history on my car. not trying to be a dick really. but anyway. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/dr...-124-18-a.html

well actually if you didn't read the thread and notice I've already ran a 12.95 @ 106 basically stock in my 8 GSR.. The only thing holding me back from going faster was my first time track experience with high 1.8 and 1.9 60ft. times.

Quick Reply: Probably going to the track this weekend..