Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Race gas?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2003, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Race gas?

Are there any side effects after running race gas? I wanna put race gas in my evo for one night at the track..i was just wondering if theres anything special i need to do any help would be sweet
Old Oct 3, 2003, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

I use 98 Octane unleaded 76 as my normal fuel. It works well and there are no probs. I notice less soot in my tail pipe now. Check at your race track or look for a wholesale distributor (not a gas station). I contacted Mitsu about the 98 ron listed in the operators manual, The 98 exceeds that requirment as it is research octane number plus motor octane divided by two. Using leaded fuel is a poor idea as it is harmful to your O2 sensor and your cat. Be sure to do enough runs to allow your ecu to "learn."
Old Oct 3, 2003, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

sweet thanks for the help..BTW whats the average price a gallon on that 98 octane?
Old Oct 5, 2003, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by WildRice
Using leaded fuel is a poor idea as it is harmful to your O2 sensor and your cat.
not to mention that it'll eventually clog up your injectors!
Old Oct 6, 2003, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

I get the 76 98 for $3 a gallon. So you can see the market here, the next most expensive is Chevron Supreme and that is currently at 2.07. The wholesale outfit I buy from does not raise the price on its specialty fuels when the local dealers' pump prices rise,It was still 3 when the Chevron was going for $2.40.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 08:29 PM
Hor

Running a few gallons of race gas at the drag strip a few times a year is going to have a very negligable effect on your O2 sensor, and I have never once heard of any DSM having injectors get clogged from it.

As for the cat...who drives with one of those anyway.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

I've only used unleaded race gas or a xylene mixture so I can't speak from personal experience but my friend with a 99 GST used leaded race gas and his O2 sensor went out the next day.....
Old Oct 7, 2003, 06:14 AM
Hor

Originally posted by Buckkaaaa!!
I've only used unleaded race gas or a xylene mixture so I can't speak from personal experience but my friend with a 99 GST used leaded race gas and his O2 sensor went out the next day.....
I bet he was running ridiculously rich. I had an O2 sensor start flaking out on me with unleaded gas just because I was running so rich. It's almost as if it clogged and then eventually cleared itself back out. I ran that same O2 sensor for another year with no problems, including about 20 gallons of 110 octane leaded gas spread out over 5 or so track visits. The O2 sensor was still working fine, and only got replaced because I happened to be replacing the turbo and it was a convenient time to for me to swap in a new one.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

yeah come to think of it, he probably was running rich..... but I don't know about that rich because his ECU was still pulling timing... he was on a 14b setup running consistent 13.7s
Old Oct 12, 2003, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Buckkaaaa!!

not to mention that it'll eventually clog up your injectors!
How?

The only detrimental effect of a race gas is pugging your cat...if you have one. Your O2 senosr will also loose it's sensitvity. Mine does after running race gas (leaded 110) but after I put regular gas and drive it, it's fine.