Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Goin to the track for the first time...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goin to the track for the first time...

This girl actually convinced me to take my X to Capital Raceway today to see what it does now.Next week im addin my AMS DP/FMIC and Rota wheels and NT05.We thought it would b a good idea to get a b4 and after run.Duh obvioulsy a smart thing 2do.I didnt care but she insisted I do it!Ima lil neverous because this is the 1st time I run my X.1st time a run a turbo AWD.

1 of my friends is comin also and im lettin him run by b18 hatch becuz he loves it so much.I called capital 2day to ask if I had to wear a helmet...They said a car that runs 13.99s or below must wear helmets...thank goodness they rent helmets there.I kno my X can break 13s just not sure how much.

Im only goin to run it once.They said they would let me run the car once to c what It does then c if a have to wear a helmet.I really dont care to get every second out of the car now since i already know im doin another major upgrade next week.

Right now i have AMS Intake,UICP,and LICP,Ultimate Racing Cat-back and a tune...Wish me luck...Ill prolly run the civic a bunch of times.The X will get 1
Old Jul 17, 2010, 04:34 AM

Good luck??? Haha, are you just going to run the drag?? or a track ?? well, either way, best of luck to ya let us know the results, and why not run your car more if you could?? maybe you could get better times If you wanted, since your doing the exhaust anyway you might consider getting a test pipe or down pipe.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

The stock clutch will be toast after just a handful of runs. Unless you plan to replace it, I wouldn't run it much.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:32 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by mlomker
The stock clutch will be toast after just a handful of runs. Unless you plan to replace it, I wouldn't run it much.
This. Don't do it. Tell that girl to bugger off unless she's going to buy you a new Exedy twin disc and pay for installation.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

1/4 results...

Ok guys...Um yea I got a rude awakening last night...

My first run I line up and didnt really pay any attention to my launch rev but the entire time from all that I have read on here is the the Evo tranny and transfer case really aint that bulletproof so I took it easy.Did a nice rollout at gree and got a whack 14.8.SMH!And I was so sure they were gonna make me where a helmet for break 13.99s(Which I shoudl have)

I lined up again after I said I was only goin to run it once...
while I was waiting 2 Evo owners came up 2me.1 drives a Evo 8...the other was the only other Evo X at the track.They asked me what mods I had already and what I was doin with the gas and clutch.They both said U need to launch at about 5500 and I need to slip the clutch.I said yea ok sure but in my mind I said hell no!

My goal was to get a real nice easy engagment then floor it w/o slippin the clutch at all!My 2nd run was much worse I ran a 15.1.My b18 hatch I ran last year my best was a 15.1!!!!SMH AGAIN!I bogged at the green light

My last run my reaction time was .043 something and I ran a 14.7.That time I keep the revs higher and not really slipped the clutch but let it out a lil harder...

Either way i was a lil dissappointed and a cpl friends pressed me out a bit...1 even said a girl that was in the crowd said I need to get another driver in my car cuz I cant drive...I should have slapped her...

Not too pressed about it now becuz my AMS Downpipe and FMIC is goin on this week...There was no need to get every sec out of my X lastnight,However i did run my civic again last night and had more fun in that cuz I kno my civic much better then my x ive had for 2years,lol...I will post the time slips...
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

[quote=Maverickvf84;8500524]1 even said a girl that was in the crowd said I need to get another driver in my car cuz I cant drive...I should have slapped her...

quote]

ANOTHER driver could have driven your car and probably gotten a faster time. ANOTHER driver wouldnt care about the cost involved in replacing parts, the hours required, the down time needed to replace things, etc

Id rather replace a GF than a tranny....
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

no offense but your grammar is a little difficult to understand haha but yeah you could drive your car better yourself if you had AMS on the side line with a truck load of free parts. other people suck.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:17 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by italianevo88
no offense but your grammar is a little difficult to understand
I gave up reading the initial post after the first paragraph. It's not like there's a character limit on the forum.

Regardless, OP, what was your trap speed?

Last edited by FJF; Jul 18, 2010 at 05:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 18, 2010, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I gave up reading the initial post after the first paragraph. It's not like there's a character limit on the forum.

Regardless, OP, what was your trap speed?

lmfao
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

U drag queens need to take ur cars to a road course and drive the car as it was meant to be driven!!!! I never will understand the passion to run 1/4 runs with a Evo.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:20 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by josefmd
U drag queens need to take ur cars to a road course and drive the car as it was meant to be driven!!!! I never will understand the passion to run 1/4 runs with a Evo.
Different orientations, varying skill levels, and alternate ideas of fun, and a concern for safety.

I'm not a drag racer. At all. It always looked pretty easy, compared to using all 3 functions of an automobile - acceleration, deceleration, and cornering. Well, I took my car to the strip, mostly for the experience and ran a consistent 13.5 in an 11 second car. Now, I have a new-found respect for the skill level involved. Once we're dealing with a 10sec or a 9sec car, the degree of difficulty grows exponentially.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by josefmd
I think its mostly because of the wear and tear a road course has on the car and the expenses involved in maintaing it. I know i cant afford it so i'll hit the drag strip a couple times a year. Plus its a quick adrenaline rush.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:40 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sailorcor
I think its mostly because of the wear and tear a road course has on the car and the expenses involved in maintaing it. I know i cant afford it so i'll hit the drag strip a couple times a year. Plus its a quick adrenaline rush.
Out of curiosity, do you have any braking/cornering experience in a competitive setting?

Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:46 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorcor
You kidding me? I'd say running 1/4 correctly is just as hard or as hard as running an HPDE. The transfer case, clutch(s) and tranny take a lot more abuse on the 1/4 than they do on a road course. Sure brakes, tires and fluids take abuse on the road course, but I'd much rather replace those than the former.

+1 on never understanding running 1/4 in an Evo except for tuning purposes.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by migs647
You kidding me? I'd say running 1/4 correctly is just as hard or as hard as running an HPDE. The transfer case, clutch(s) and tranny take a lot more abuse on the 1/4 than they do on a road course. Sure brakes, tires and fluids take abuse on the road course, but I'd much rather replace those than the former.

+1 on never understanding running 1/4 in an Evo except for tuning purposes.
Seeing as how you shift through your gears once on a 1/4 where as you're shifting any number of times on a road course i'm gonna have to disagree. I will agree with you that launching your car on the 1/4 will abuse your clutch and what not but i'd have to say a road course will do the same.