Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

First time 1/4 mile in my EVO V RS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hola Mauricio, my V RS weights 2957 lbs with 1/2 to 3/4 tank of fuel and me inside, so it is on the lighter side compared to a GSR Evo 4-6. Currently on Virtual Dyno in Dynojet mode I get 367whp and 333 wtq, reaching 28 psi and tappering to 19 psi by 8000 rpm. This is with 98ron (almost same as USA 93oct).

I think my launch and 60fts times (unknown) still need a lot of work to help me lower the times as well, but as you know Evos 4-6 have a transfer case ring and pinion gear that look like toy parts next to the Evos 7-9 parts. So I try not to get too excited at the launch to avoid breaking parts, I think it helps to practice the handbrake preload method described somewhere in here.

Good luck on your results!

Ricardo
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

A bit deeper into the 11´s...

It´s been a while since I went to the 1/4 mile events, had a lot of gremlins to fix in my car. Finaly it is running decnt again and had a go yesterday, ended with a 11.73 ET !!!

Mayor changes to the car have been:

ETS 3.5" Intercooler (Had Emusa 3" Delta -fin)
Spooling Up COP (Had Okada Projects Plasma dual coils)
Tomioka racing 4.0 Final Drive with my RS gears (Had an Evo V GSR gear box with 4.5 FD)
Curt Brown´s Ceramic wheel bearings

Thanks MAP Performance for the first three parts and Curt for the bearings, after all those mod´s my car gained about 25 - 30 WHP/WTQ thoughout the powerband with almost 1 psi less at peak (27 psi peak droping to 20 psi at 8K rpm). At the drag strip I wouldn´t hit higher than 23 psi and then drop to around 20 psi.

I still need to work on my launches and get wider tires, currently have 225 Victoracers threadware 50, but still if I go higher than 5 - 7 psi at the launch, I end up blowing the rear tires and spin them a lot...

Here´s the vid:

http://youtu.be/STG7esjCjHg

Cheers,

Ricardo
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Felicitaciones Ricardo, cada vez ese EVO anda mucho mejor!!!

Saludos,

Carlos
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Gracias Carlos, poco a poco espero seguir mejorando con el turbo original por ahora. Como vas con tu Evo 9 y el Red? Ya lo tienes listo?

Saludos,

Ricardo
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RJSP
Gracias Carlos, poco a poco espero seguir mejorando con el turbo original por ahora. Como vas con tu Evo 9 y el Red? Ya lo tienes listo?

Saludos,

Ricardo
Hi Ricardo, I have a question for you!!!

Like I said, i have an Evo IV... the car comes frome japan with this tires: Bridgestone B500Si (205/60/Rin16).. I don´t know the treadaware but slipping too much!!!(patina llantas mucho)....
Quería cambiar llantas pero por el momento no tengo $$$ , asi que lo correre con las mismas llantas...

Before, my best trap was 1.9 seconds in 60 ft and the time: 12.3@114 mph...

Right now with all my new mods in my Evo, I hope better numbers.. (maybe 11 lows) My question is: Con cuantas psi de aire puedo dejar las llantas originales de acuerdo a tu experiencia y me des una idea más o menos??? es para aceleración.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Hi Mauricio,

I´m no expert as I have only been to drag races 4 times now. The tires I use are 50 threadware 225/45/17 and I usually leave them at 27 - 28 psi pressure. I have read some people using a bit lower, specialy in the rear tires, maybe even down to 20 psi, but I haven´t tried it myself yet.

I you can not get wider tires for the moment, it also helps to soften the rear suspension so that the car squats a little at launch and when changing gears, this might help you hooking better. Also when I launch (and I still need to improve a lot) I have the 2 step set only to 5000 rpm and don´t build too much boost (maybe 5 - 6 psi at most) cause if I do a more aggresive launch I spin the wheels also, so I go easy on the pedal for the launch and combine with the use of the e-brake so I don´t shock the transfer case and drivetrain. My exedy stage 2 can only take so much abuse, and the track here is only an airbase landing road, so there is no prep work on it at all.

Good luck with your next drag race , you´re setup looks much improved!

Ricardo
Old May 28, 2012, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

New personal best

Went to the track yesterday after finaly upgrading the cams and the GSC S2´s didn´t dissapoint. My new best ET is 11.47 seconds, so that´s an improvement of 0.26 over my previous best. Still need to work on my launches...

http://youtu.be/mxx9iy6L0Wk?hd=1

Also, I´m running a Kinugawa 10.5 exhaust housing which has bigger wastegate passages and bigger wastegate plate than the stock Evo 8 -9 exhaust housings, this is making it harder to hold boost. I think I´ll source a helper spring to reach a 30 psi spike rather than the 27 psi spike I can currently get with a lot of preload and the Hallman bottomed out with the super stiff spring.

Still have the big *** Evo V rear wing, wonder if it would help much if I remove it for the next event. Hopefully next time I´ll have a carbon fiber driveshaft and more boost. This is with pump gas, no E85 here in Peru.

Cheers,

Ricardo

Last edited by RJSP; May 28, 2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: double video
Old May 28, 2012, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you still launching at 4000 rpms? if so i would raise it to 6000 atleast thats what im launching my car at but thats with aem building 23psi at the line. but either way i think 6000 should still be safe for you as long as you make sure your slipping the clutch properly.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

I´m launching at 5K and only building like 10 psi because I don´t go 100% wot until the car is moving, otherwise I get massive rear wheel spin due to the track poor conditions.

With the 4.529 FD I used to launch at 4.5K, with the 4.0 FD it´s been decent with the 5K launch, but I´ll try raising it to 5.5K next time and see how it goes. I´m not really worried of breaking stuff since I preload the drivetrain with the handbrake quite a bit, so there are no shocks anywere, it´s just the overspinnig rear tires that limit the agresiveness of the launch right now. I´m on Federal RS-R 140 threadware tires 225/45/17.

Cheers,

Ricardo
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

Evo is alive again with 2.2L long rod Manley Stroker

Hi guys, long story short, back in June the oil filter cracked (local brand never to be used again) and my 2.0L lost about 4 quarts of oil in the middle of a 3rd gear pull while logging the car. The damage was not brutal, just scratched the bearings and crank a bit but the car was still functioning with a very loud lifter´s noise, had Militec 1 in the oil.

So I decided it was time for a 2.2L long rod build, now the car has about 1000 miles and I´ve already been back to the drag strip. I couldn´t beat my previous 11.47 ET record, came very close with a 11.48 ET but the spark was breaking up above 7K rpm. So changed the plugs and the car ran better, but I had no time to nail down the launch, so I was overdoing it and basicaly wasting all of 1st gear mostly spinning the tires and not realy moving forward that much.

Here is the 11 seconds final against a friend´s Honda, he forgot to put enough fuel so his car shut off at the start line; I was able to do an 11.56 ET with a lousy 1.87 60ft (yes!! we now have 60ft times in Perú !!), so I´m guessing the car´s real potential is now a very low 11 second pass.

http://youtu.be/K4YJBz3JyTU?hd=1

The changes are: self ported head, 2.2L stroker, and more boost. Still with the stock turbo, stock ECU with MAF, and 98 ron octane fuel.

I´ve been using Merlin´s modified xml based on Ceddy Mod´s 1.2, you can hear the NLTS between gears. Merlin has done a very nice job of adding tables and also a MAF compensation coefficient that let´s the ECU know that you now have a stroker, so load is read properly for fuel and spark and made mapping easier.

With the 2.0L I was reaching 1800 Hz airflow, now it is peaking around 1870 Hz at about the same boost above 6K rpm. The Evo 5/6 MAF reads lower Hz than the Evo 7/8/9 MAF.

Cheers,

Ricardo
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, I´m glad you came back to the track! Congrats Ricardo!

Only you need time to get 11 lows of flat with that engine. The car sounds very different in that race, strong like 2.4L ahahha!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

New personal best 11.41 ET

Hi guys, a couple weeks ago we had a 1/4 mile practice event here in Lima. This time I focused more on proper launch and better shifting within the powerband. We are in the middle of summer here, so it was about 32°C outside.

Only changes to the car have been the adition of another 3" cold air duct that feeds directly to the filter from the fender original openning, so got two of those now. I also lowered the launch rpm to 4500 (was 5000 before) in order to minimice wheelspin with the 140 threadware 225/17 tires that I use for the street. Here are the results:

Pass 60ft ET
1 1.74 11.46 (That´s 0.01 better than previous winter´s best)
2 1.75 11.41 (shifted sooner in 2nd and 3rd gear)
3 1.89 11.42 (upped boost slightly but had slower 60ft)
4 1.79 11.61 (Had slight bog at launch)

I logged the 11.41 and 11.42 passes to check my SD VE table and it is within 1% for the whole pass! So I´m exited to try Lee´s SD rom and see what happend next time at the 1/4 mile!

Here´s a video of the event, at 0:40 you can see my 11.61 pass against a JDM Spec C RA (2nd fastest street Suby in Lima), last year I couldn´t catch this guy if I messed the launch, now it´s different . Then at 2:25 you can see my 11.46 pass.

I´m still with the stock Evo V RS turbo with MAF and 98 oct ron fuel; next things to test will be SD, then SD + E30 - E40 fuel mixtures, and then I´ll slap in the EF3 I have siiting around.

Cheers,

Ricardo
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Here´s another video with the 11.42 ET pass (1.89 60ft) next to the low 12´s Subaru JDM Spec-C RA:

Currently finishing up my SD tune, also next time I´ll test lowering rear tire pressure a bit and softening the suspension as well to try a more aggresive launch.