Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

My 1/4 mile times are slow ... need help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2004, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Az3ar
yr problem right there beside you 60 times. You are taking a car to the track that is not fully broken. You have to wait 5000 miles before the engine fully breaks in
who or where does it say that about the 5000 miles. if that's so then opps. I only have 1500 or so on my when I went to the track tuesday. hahah still think I did pretty decent. gonna get my mbc on so it'll hold more boost to redline. think I should be able to cut some 8.7's with that aleast maybe an 8.6 with a little better 60-ft. there track that I go to is very poor. I out ran a stage 3 roush mustang because every gear he was in he would spin. his car is only a single cam 4.6 w/ blower and 2.8 pulley/ CIA, but it's tuned my roush and should do alot better then 8.9's in the 1/8th.

-Chad-
Old Sep 2, 2004, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostfed
who or where does it say that about the 5000 miles. if that's so then opps. I only have 1500 or so on my when I went to the track tuesday. hahah still think I did pretty decent. gonna get my mbc on so it'll hold more boost to redline. think I should be able to cut some 8.7's with that aleast maybe an 8.6 with a little better 60-ft. there track that I go to is very poor. I out ran a stage 3 roush mustang because every gear he was in he would spin. his car is only a single cam 4.6 w/ blower and 2.8 pulley/ CIA, but it's tuned my roush and should do alot better then 8.9's in the 1/8th.

-Chad-

Any engine requires XXXX amount of miles ot break in right. I am not saying 5000 miles exactly but cars keep gaining power till the ~7000K mark (proven on dynos) .
Old Sep 2, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo VIII 4o1
clutch slip is when you hold the clutch right at the catch point and let go?? please tell me how to do it.
basicly when your about to launch. just push in the clutch. rev the car to whatever rpm you want, atleast 5500rpms. then as the last yellow lights up start letting off the clutch. ((note: you'll wanna do this pretty fast. not dumping the clutch fast but fast enough that you don't heat up your clutch to bad.)) an as soon as the car lerches forward mash the go pedal and you be off and gone. it's take a little practice, but you'll get the hang off it. or, you'll be buying a new clutch pretty soon. hope this helps some.

-Chad-
Old Sep 2, 2004, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
Any engine requires XXXX amount of miles ot break in right. I am not saying 5000 miles exactly but cars keep gaining power till the ~7000K mark (proven on dynos) .

yeah, I know I was just playin around with ya. I always figure 1000miles is good enough that you can start beatin on the car a little bit. some cars ecu's make the run rich for the first 3-4k miles for brakin period. then lean out a bit. the guy in the roush I was talkin to said thats what his ecu's does. he said when he first dyno'd the car, when is was fairly new. it was running like 9-9.5:1 A/F. after the 3500miles the ecu leans it's self out a little bit. he said it's something like another 15-20hp for his car. it's pretty crazy. back to topic now.

-Chad-
Old Sep 2, 2004, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Az3ar, I guess your car is still not broken in yet because I have not seen any timeslips from you. Or was that a typo did you mean 50,000 miles break in. My advice Az3ar is bring it to the 1/4 mile strip run it down the track a couple times and then give advice based off of experience. True his 60s suck but his trap speed is low which is likely due to granny shifting(not holding boost between shifts will kill your times). Get off of the bench(bench racing is for slow people that don't want to back up their $hit talk) Az3ar and lets see what that turbo kit can do.(fwiw Just messin with ya) Come play next time Fontucky is open. Sorry about C-Bad.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

DO NOT do 6k clutch drops..

if you wanna break your car, thats the best way.

not only your clutch, but then you are gonna start breaking drivetrain parts... a transfer case is 2500 and you do not wanna get stuck having to pay that.

i guess if you learn how to slip it right that would be good.. but i know for myself, clutch drops were a very bad thing...
Old Sep 2, 2004, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

To slip the clutch, means riding it out a bit while giving it gas. There is a fine point of to much and to little, You will learn it by feel. If it really smells bad after the run you stayed on the clutch to long. 5500 blip the gas when the light goes green slam the gas on while letting your clutch out quickly. This does not mean to sidestep it. Just a very fast slip
Old Sep 2, 2004, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like you're new to stick. That sucks because this is a tough car to learn on. Then again if you can drive this, you can drive anything this side of a semi with a stick ;-)
Two simple things not to do, given you have the revs holding between 4000-6000 rpm:
1) let the clutch out too fast. You'll know you did it because the revs will suddenly drop and the car will lurch. That's a bog.
2) let the clutch out too slow. You'll know you did it because you will have the clutch out, you'll be holding in the gas, the car will be revving up but you won't be moving. And you'll smell burning clutch!

If 1 or 2 didn't happen you had a good launch.

Sorry if that's too simple, but I think it might help.

Yeah, and start saving for a new clutch right now if you are planning on doing much more.
Now go kick your subie friend in the *** for us!
Old Sep 2, 2004, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

moved to drag racing....
Old Sep 2, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IE Evo
Az3ar, I guess your car is still not broken in yet because I have not seen any timeslips from you. Or was that a typo did you mean 50,000 miles break in. My advice Az3ar is bring it to the 1/4 mile strip run it down the track a couple times and then give advice based off of experience. True his 60s suck but his trap speed is low which is likely due to granny shifting(not holding boost between shifts will kill your times). Get off of the bench(bench racing is for slow people that don't want to back up their $hit talk) Az3ar and lets see what that turbo kit can do.(fwiw Just messin with ya) Come play next time Fontucky is open. Sorry about C-Bad.

I don’t want to kill the man's thread here. Internet Explorer I will take my car to the drag S H I T you have been telling me about in the next month. My exedy twin is going in my EVO this weekend and I am receiving the parts as I type. The fact is I don’t LIKE drag racing is my opinion, I like track and that's why I went with 3071 not GT35R which can make a drag queen. I truly believe that the EVO is not made for drag racing including but not limited to (Japan, Europe) . Just give me one month to brake in my Exedy clutch and you will see me up there and I could careless what my QM time is. I am sure I will make some number once I get used to it but I am not wiling to kill my clutch and car to post a number here. I like to go to streets of willow and slide with my EVO around some serious turns for half an hour instead of 11 sec or 12.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

All I can say is just more used to the car and the clutch
Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Az3ar,sound a lil touchy today. Yes I agree that this car is better meant for road racing and I can't wait to experience the Evo on a real track(not 1/4 mile).BTW Settle down dude I was just messin with ya as usual. No harm intended.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 03:33 AM
Evolving Member

lolz... ppl get so pumped on forums, i love it.

you shoulda seen the time we had a 17 page argument about why ppl dont just buy an evo instead of dumping a buncha money into a ralliart lancer.

i still dont understand the logic there. i mean can you actually believe those guys were saying they didnt want an evo??....
their biggest argument? higher insurance and monthly payments!! HAHAHAHAH
Old Sep 3, 2004, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IE Evo
Az3ar,sound a lil touchy today. Yes I agree that this car is better meant for road racing and I can't wait to experience the Evo on a real track(not 1/4 mile).BTW Settle down dude I was just messin with ya as usual. No harm intended.

lol. I was good was'nt I? hahaha I am just J/K. just let me know when the QM track is open and we will go ( after I break in my clutch).

Mhyar
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I Agree, Your 60 Ft Is Garbage... Fix That, I Tend To Launch At About 5500 To 6000 And Flutter The Clutch Just A Tad Otherwise I Have Some Wheel Spin Off The Line. I Usually Shift Pretty Close To Redline If Not Just Into It A Bit. My 1/4 Time Is 12.4 At 110mph. I Take My Foot Off The Gas When I Shift But I Do Shift Really Fast So You Can Hardly Tell And Bov Doesnt Get Much Time To Let Out Anything ... Good Luck, The Launch Is The Key...