Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Wierd smell always after im done driving??

Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had the same smell (but not clutch) when my car was new...
Old Aug 27, 2006, 02:49 PM
KTT
Evolving Member

is the smell sweet at all... like coolant perhaps?
Old Sep 3, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

my car smells a little every once in a while, its because i drive it hard and its usually rubber and brakes lol. no clutch cuz i know how to drive..
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ same here on my ralliart smells like rubber but im not quite sure if it's a combo of clutch and brakes also, i don't beleive its my clutch im not riding it at all, same smell at autox and back road driving .during auto x i put it in second and leave it there so it can't be the clutch .
Old Oct 2, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
mine still smelled new at about 2000miles but not its at 3500 and its gone sometimes i smell the brakes but you could be riding your clutch
Old Oct 2, 2006, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Urine?
Feces?

Your not really diving it hard unless you get a faint smell of either of those.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hotrod2448
Urine?
Feces?

Your not really diving it hard unless you get a faint smell of either of those.
haha nice way to put it..that is now my sig
Old Oct 3, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds like it the new car smell cause i had it too, but if your riding the car hard it could also be the clutch. Like someone said you could tell the difference between the clutch and the exhaust heat.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:17 AM

all depends.

The club and I use to take these 3 hour long trips on michigans back roads, going from one side of the state to the other. And we were HAULING ***. Like, beating the **** out of our cars. And michigan backroads are windy, curvy, dippy, and some long straigh aways.

So after that much braking, shifting, tire burning, it's bound to smell like something.

No matter how good at shift you are, that point of that clutch is to wear OTHER than something else in your engine/drivetrain breaking. It wears down, and it smells when it does that.

But this shouldn't be happening all the time, so perhaps you just need to practice shifting a bit more?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Most likely Clutch burn... Or your motor... which if its your motor it can be VARIOUS things... but if i had to say one, its clutch burn... When i learned how to drive my lancer, Stalling ect. I smelt that horrid smell myself and thats most likely the cause because now, it doesnt smell
Old Dec 17, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
If it smells like burning garbage/burning trash, it is clutch smell.

If it smells like rotten eggs (sulfur), then it is the cat.

If it smells like digested Taco Bell, then it is your passenger. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Dec 21, 2006, 06:42 PM

You should just cut down on those Taco Bell Bean Burritos and it'll eventually get out of the seat
Old Dec 21, 2006, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Mine stinks like burning oil all the time. first an acd fitting was spitting oil all over the down pipe. almost 3 weeks waiting for a part from the dealer, to think it was fixed, then to find the transfer case is leaking from an unrepairable location leaking gear oil all over the down pipe causing a great stink. only 3700 miles i might add..................no crap I wish I had my 8 back.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never ride my clutch when I drive, but last night I had to slip it while punching the gas turning in a 4-way stop. It was one of those shopping centers where the 4-ways are really far apart and people don't seem to realize when it's their turn to go. So I start going and turn left--the guy that was just to the right of me (that would've been going straight) takes off like a bat out of hell (like he's pissed because I went before him or something...)

So I gunned it and slipped the clutch for about 3 seconds to keep the car from spinning--and ever since then (even now) I smell that nasty clutch burn.

I just hope it wasn't too bad and that the smell will go away soon. I've got an appt at the dealer in a week for my oil change!
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRevo2006
I never ride my clutch when I drive, but last night I had to slip it while punching the gas turning in a 4-way stop. It was one of those shopping centers where the 4-ways are really far apart and people don't seem to realize when it's their turn to go. So I start going and turn left--the guy that was just to the right of me (that would've been going straight) takes off like a bat out of hell (like he's pissed because I went before him or something...)

So I gunned it and slipped the clutch for about 3 seconds to keep the car from spinning--and ever since then (even now) I smell that nasty clutch burn.

I just hope it wasn't too bad and that the smell will go away soon. I've got an appt at the dealer in a week for my oil change!
It'll go away. I let a friend drive my car once. Now mind you he has a GSX eclipse with a damn 57 trim turbo, so I figured he could handle my clutch. Hell the pedal pressure and engagement isn't really that rough at all. Well, he stalled it twice in a row on the street, and then roasted the **** out of the clutch to get going after that. I smelled clutch for about a week. It went away though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wierd smell always after im done driving??