Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Hand Position

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowride
Yeah, we both mentioned 9 and 3. I didn't say anything about how I drive on the highway at 2 AM, but I use the same technique I autocross with because it's good practice and because it's a good technique for maintaining control of the car. And I qualified what makes for good technique (keeping your hands at 9 and 3 o'clock, even while turning, you don't do hand-over-hand, and your arms aren't too straight, you're probably in good shape). It's entirely possible to keep your hands near 9 and 3 most of the time and still have poor hand positioning technique.

The technique known as "shifty hands" is one way to achieve the above goals. As it's already been explained in this thread, shifty hands consists of adjusting the hands independently in preparation for a turn of the wheel. E.g., you see a right curve/turn coming up, you drop your left hand to, say, 7 o'clock, then raise your right hand to 1 o'clock, then you turn the wheel till your hands are back at 9 and 3. Upon exiting the turn, you reverse the procedure.
Ok so the whole reason why you jumped on what I said is because I also mentioned how I drive when I'm relaxed? Well as I said two other people did the same and you yourself made a statement that had nothing to do with the question when you mentioned you were trying to learn left foot braking.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyR View Post
Remember... Light hands on the wheel...

Corey #89 STU

If you look at your hands and the knuckles are white that's not light hands, you must try to relax. Slow = fast.
Thanks. I was thinking thats what was meant, but I wasn't sure if there was more to it than that.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Also, I guess I should have made myself clear when I started this thread. I meant to ask what hand positioning techniques you use when you are making a turn that cannot be make simply leaving your hands at 9 and 3 and turning the wheel.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:48 PM

9 and 3 bro!
Old Feb 10, 2007, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by w evo
Thanks. I was thinking thats what was meant, but I wasn't sure if there was more to it than that.
Yea, sorry I lost track of the thread. I found that it was easier to get feedback out of the wheel from my last car which had a heavy steering wheel. With the EVOand it's light steering, if you keep your grip light you can feel the feedback a bit easier.

Also, another thing that I got in the habbit of doing is keeing my thumbs out of the inside of the wheel. It's normally an old racers technique so that if you hit something the wheel doesn't break your thumbs off when it spins quickly. I also find it works in auto-x for those quick save-it type corrections when you get out of shape, if you get a thumb stuck in the wheel it hurts like a bit**

Corey #89 STU
Old Feb 11, 2007, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

It's probably a good idea not to cross your arms when you're on a road course push, pull, slide the hands but in autocross I gota say any thing goes with the tight turns and general hectic pace.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
It's probably a good idea not to cross your arms when you're on a road course push, pull, slide the hands but in autocross I gota say any thing goes with the tight turns and general hectic pace.
Crossing your hands is just as bad in autocross as it is on a road course--and probably worse because of the hectic pace. National-level drivers including Evolution school instructors and other national champions have all stressed the importance proper hand technique. If you can't do shifty hands at autocross speeds, then you probably need work on that rather than just saying anything goes.

Autocross just happens too fast for improvised hand positioning to be effective.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

I would love to see them do a "Chicago Box" with shifty hands. Some of the stuff I've seen here is lock to lock in no time.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 03:55 AM
Evolving Member

OK, they're probably overstating it to make a point. I'm sure there places where they aren't displaying perfect form. Chicago boxes (AKA tight 3-cone slaloms) and longer slaloms are easily fudged.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^ For sure shifty hands where possible.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by savaho
I go for the coolness factor and have one on the wheel while I rest the other behind my head. Pisses off people that I pass.
LOL. You should try this -- if someone is with you in the car, have them start dancing really stupidly and you dance with one hand and drive with the other hand....

But yeah, since we're in the competition --> driving techniques, I like slightly above 9 and 3 because that's where the thicker/ grippier part of the wheel is. It's weird when I drive my mom's or girlfriend's car cuz I"m like ... damn, they don't have a MOMO wheel (and my left foot gets bored with their auto transmissions)
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:38 AM

I AutoX with no hands.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

I use the shifty-hands technique too. I have tried to cross over but it is too uncomfortable for me.

I had an autox yesterday that had a 3 chicago boxes in a row but with a little twist in them ...come out of one and have to make a right turn and then enter the box...leave that one and make a left turn...so the hands were constantly moving...all while left foot braking. Crazy fun!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 03:35 PM

i used to put my hands on 3 and 9 position on the steering wheel, but recently I found that 10/4 position is better.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slowride
Yeah, we both mentioned 9 and 3. I didn't say anything about how I drive on the highway at 2 AM, but I use the same technique I autocross with because it's good practice and because it's a good technique for maintaining control of the car. And I qualified what makes for good technique (keeping your hands at 9 and 3 o'clock, even while turning, you don't do hand-over-hand, and your arms aren't too straight, you're probably in good shape). It's entirely possible to keep your hands near 9 and 3 most of the time and still have poor hand positioning technique.

The technique known as "shifty hands" is one way to achieve the above goals. As it's already been explained in this thread, shifty hands consists of adjusting the hands independently in preparation for a turn of the wheel. E.g., you see a right curve/turn coming up, you drop your left hand to, say, 7 o'clock, then raise your right hand to 1 o'clock, then you turn the wheel till your hands are back at 9 and 3. Upon exiting the turn, you reverse the procedure.

how about.. right turn comming up, and you use your left hand (at 9 oclock) to push /turn the wheel right, while you right hand moves quickly right before the turn to the 12oclock position and as the wheel turns it terminates at the 3 oclock possiton.... does that makes sense?

Quick Reply: Hand Position