Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Parking the car in 1st

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2004, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never put it in gear. I got my car parked by a Valet a few weeks ago and he did park the car in first. It was really cold that day, so when I started the engine, it started reving at 2000 rpms which is about where the clutch doesn't need to be pressed on.

The car sarted moving, by the time I realized the car was in gear, I was a foot away from the car that was parked in front of me. I just had time to stear like crazy and push down the clutch
Old Mar 1, 2004, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: ISSUE WITH YOUR IDEAS!;

Originally posted by EvoVIIIGuy

OK,, You just parked your Lancer/Evo on a street like you do every night.. you lift the parking brake (it is strong enought to keep the car from rolling away)
i dunno, a friend of mine didnt put his e-brake up all the way in his RSX-s and it started to roll in a parking lot. i always put my car in 2nd gear, its even harder to roll in 2nd then 1st.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

i put my car in 1st... when i first started driving stick, i parked it in 1st and then studdered out when i trying to start the car without clutching in..... you get used to it though... after forgetting a few times... its all good.. and no real damage to ur tranny though...
Old Mar 2, 2004, 01:19 AM
Evolving Member

When I first got my car I started parking it in first cus I park on a slight slope.... a mate comes round and we are looking at increasing the idle speed a little bit with my carby.... So he's got his head under the hood looking at **** and we have a look at what the speed currently is... so I reach through the window, stick the key in and turn it, not checking if it was in gear and the car lurches forward about half a foot before I flick it back to off/it stalls... He was ****ting himself cus he was standing about a foot away from the bumper.

Ever since then.... Still park in Gear but am very cautious of it when I start it up.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 08:05 AM

how are u guys starting your engines w/o the clutch being in? im not really sure why you guys are having a problem stalling w/ it in gear, etc. when u get in the car ur left foot should automatically put the clutch to the floor. then turn ur car on, and drive away. shouldnt be a problem.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

the problem is for beginning stick drivers, they are not used to the car already being in gear... if they park it in 1st.. they come on to start the car, clutch in... then clutch out possibly to put on a seat belt or do something else... then boom! the car lurches and stalls... i admit i had a few of those when i started parking it in 1st.. but that was a long time ago nor was it often... i've never done that to my evo but for those of you who do lurch it, stop doing it as there wont be any permenant damage