Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

How to apex a series of S turns

Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
Doing a lot of karting and no matter how fast I tried to arc in to the turn from the outside while carying speed, the fastest time was to slow down early and hug the inside edge through the entire turn.

That said I didnt set any records - but it was my fastest time and faster than most people by quite a bit.
go kart does carry a lots of speed in turns from the begin with, for multiple reasons. Like low center of gravity huge grip level etc.

completely two different approach and driving style needs for the two car. One is a heavy tall AWD car the other is small very light rwd kart.

Also if go-karts have a body roll that means something really bad, not so much with an evo.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP line is fastest if the course is flat and you're trying to maximize exit speed. The shortest line is NOT fastest. The shortest line on a 180 degree corner would be to hug the inside, but the car wastes more traction to follow a tighter radius. Therefore, a late apex, sacrificing apex speed for corner exit is ideal. Talk to a professional slalom driver (probably in the UK) and he will tell you the same thing. You obviously don't want to park it, and every car will be different, but my knowledge of the Evo, both the 8 an the 10, would lead me to believe that it would not like to make a tight radius required for the "shortest line" and would benefit from getting to power in a straight line.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MBellRacing
OP line is fastest if the course is flat and you're trying to maximize exit speed. The shortest line is NOT fastest. The shortest line on a 180 degree corner would be to hug the inside, but the car wastes more traction to follow a tighter radius. Therefore, a late apex, sacrificing apex speed for corner exit is ideal. Talk to a professional slalom driver (probably in the UK) and he will tell you the same thing. You obviously don't want to park it, and every car will be different, but my knowledge of the Evo, both the 8 an the 10, would lead me to believe that it would not like to make a tight radius required for the "shortest line" and would benefit from getting to power in a straight line.
I completely agree.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

Auto X, I'd take the yellow line; Track, I'd use the red line.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MBellRacing
Yes, that's called point and shoot.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
Yes, that's called point and shoot.
I never heard this term. I dont get it exactly, can you explain to me?
Old May 2, 2012, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

I too use robevo's line for S turns, don't do much rallying but thats how I was taught and the physics of it have always felt right for me. Regarding the Kart comment, I used to race karts at the amateur level and you can't really compare driving lines of karts and something like an evo. Two different beasts entirely.
Old May 2, 2012, 01:41 PM

Eh, I'm not buying it. Physics says the shortest line doesn't win, the highest average speed wins. You'll have to slow the car more to make the tight radii. I think the image itself leaves some question as to what exactly would be a real-world scenario, but I'd almost always try to park the car to power out, especially in something like an Evo that doesn't exactly like to change direction.

The point and shoot thing is sacrificing apex speed for traction on power-down. Racing a Camaro for a living, trust me, I know what point and shoot is all about... they don't exactly have great apex speed and, like the Evo, require some time to change direction.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting thread. I ponder these things myself quite often.

In my Evo I didn't notice a huge difference taking various lines and paths... A second here or there wasn't as noticable. But taking the same turns in my 02 Escape with 200hp shows the errors much more obviously. Now we're talking an obvious 3-5 second difference between the lines.

I know it probably doesn't help to mention this, but have you tried taking a less capable vehicle through this course? The line that lets a top heavy SUV hold the most speed is most likely very close if not the same line that the Evo should take.

The Evo hides many mistakes a less forgiving vehicle shows..... Now don't think I'm telling you that it's identical because it's not. But it helps you notice things you may miss in the Evo.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVILutionVIII
Auto X, I'd take the yellow line; Track, I'd use the red line.
yes, and rally I would take the blue line
Old May 3, 2012, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

looking at that ms paint drawing, lime rock almost has a very similar series of turns coming off the main straight. there at least, i found it fastest for me to single apex the sweeper, late apex the first s to get a better line through the final s onto the back straight.
Old May 3, 2012, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

i still think my line (yellow) wins Unles you are door to door with another car... but that is a whole different discussion , how to close the door legally
Old May 4, 2012, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by acidtonic
Interesting thread. I ponder these things myself quite often.

In my Evo I didn't notice a huge difference taking various lines and paths... A second here or there wasn't as noticable. But taking the same turns in my 02 Escape with 200hp shows the errors much more obviously. Now we're talking an obvious 3-5 second difference between the lines.

I know it probably doesn't help to mention this, but have you tried taking a less capable vehicle through this course? The line that lets a top heavy SUV hold the most speed is most likely very close if not the same line that the Evo should take.

The Evo hides many mistakes a less forgiving vehicle shows..... Now don't think I'm telling you that it's identical because it's not. But it helps you notice things you may miss in the Evo.
1-2 seconds is a pretty significant amount of time on a lap. Our team looks for accuracy per lap to about .2 of a second. If our line could change 1-2 seconds we'd say it is a HUGE line change. In that series of corners we're talking about shaving a couple hundredths.

Originally Posted by zabes
looking at that ms paint drawing, lime rock almost has a very similar series of turns coming off the main straight. there at least, i found it fastest for me to single apex the sweeper, late apex the first s to get a better line through the final s onto the back straight.
I feel it's a bit different. And I think more information is needed about the course to really speak too much more about it. If it's like the esses at VIR, then Rob Evo's line would be the one to use. If they were a bit slower corners, like something similar to a slalom (something I coach on) then I can almost guaranty that the line I spoke of is faster. There is no information about track width in the diagram, or relative grip of the car. Either way, rule of thumb is that a late apex will be ideal for power-down, a traditional or closer-to-geometric apex will net more apex speed, but will require more rotation from the car at a sacrifice to power-down.

You know what this reminds me of? The Evo X at Infineon's esses. I've had hundreds of laps through that complex in that car and there is a combination of line types CLOSE to Rob Evo's, but always late, getting the direction change done early. The only exception is the final corner that has a hill in it which will hold you to the inside, allowing an earlier apex.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 06:10 PM

You always want to transition from your outside to your inside of a turn, lining yourself up in a straight line for acceleration whenever possible. lateral movement is time lost.