Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

heel and toe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2002, 12:47 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is hard as hell to heel-toe when you wear a size 15 shoe.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heel and toe technique does not really involve your heel and toe, so to speak. It would be awkward to turn your feet like that.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 04:14 AM

i usually brake in a hard corner, and also downshift while the clutch is in.. let the clutch out slowly, and by the time you reach the apex, your engine is up to the speed of the wheels.. that way you don't have to blip the throttle..

but on regular downshifts, i always blip.. much smoother shift..
Old Sep 21, 2002, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by codemunky
You probably could do it that way. But I wonder if you could hold the brake consistently with that method, since you are rolling your foot laterally, more like a twist. But do experiment on both techniques. When I was just starting out, I saw the pros doing it with the other method, even in the videos. Perhaps try driving with some thick socks on to get the pedal feel, and try both methods. I'm not kidding...

Oh yeah, it's not really difficult, it just feels weird at first. But you'll get used to it. It's not what you consider it to be "normal" driving. Besides, the E-brake isn't just used for holding the car in place when you are going to go get groceries, right?
Oh yeah, the pros do it the way I explained. I suppose there's too much twist if you do it the way explained above.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 12:54 AM

EZ give me your email or send it to me on AIM... i want to mob that video from you so i can see the proper way to do it... the way i have been doin it doesnt work so well... rpm's drop a little more than id like... my name on AIM is "klik 95"
Old Oct 14, 2002, 02:00 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

I read an article about heel & toe in an SCCA magazine. It involves using the toe on the gas (keeping the revs up as described earlier in this thread), the heel on the brake (since you are slowing down going into the corner), and the left foot clutch (cause you're shifting). The article said this is a smooth way to carry the most speed through a corner in racing. It also mentioned something about a car breaking loose from the jolt of letting the clutch out with the engine revs too low to match the tranny. But this is a full body workout: right toe gas, right heel brake, left foot clutch, right hand stick, left hand steer, all while driving almost out of control around a turn. I tried it and am miles from even pretending to master it, but it's fun trying.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 06:39 PM

wait...so you depress the clutch brake and bump the gas a litte? I thought your not suppose to have the clutch and the gas depress at the same time...but what do I know
Old Oct 21, 2002, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by urbanknight
I read an article about heel & toe in an SCCA magazine. It involves using the toe on the gas (keeping the revs up as described earlier in this thread), the heel on the brake (since you are slowing down going into the corner), and the left foot clutch (cause you're shifting). The article said this is a smooth way to carry the most speed through a corner in racing. It also mentioned something about a car breaking loose from the jolt of letting the clutch out with the engine revs too low to match the tranny. But this is a full body workout: right toe gas, right heel brake, left foot clutch, right hand stick, left hand steer, all while driving almost out of control around a turn. I tried it and am miles from even pretending to master it, but it's fun trying.
Hmmm...that's close to impossible...just because of the usual brake accel. setup. Also, I think you have better pedal feel with the toe on the brake, heel on the gas. Afterall, you are just blipping the throttle with the heel. However I could be wrong: How the hell do you heel-toe on Mini Coopers?
Old Oct 22, 2002, 08:46 AM

Question

Can someone tell me where i can find video clips of the heel and toe shift in action? i've bee trying to do it but only mangaged to do it once ( i think, i hit a sharp turn and i just instinctivly or accidently held the gas and brake at the same time, but i think i downshifeted first) well it made a " drift " sound ( is it suppose to do that? ) well thanks for all the info , greatly appreciated
Old Oct 22, 2002, 09:01 AM
In Timeout

LMAO.... u did wa...
....only mangaged to do it once ( i think, i hit a sharp turn and i just instinctivly or accidently held the gas and brake at the same time, but i think i downshifeted first) well it made a " drift " sound ( is it suppose to do that? )
HaHaHaha.... FF don;t drift unless you use your hand brake thru a turn(which is pointless for a FF). Anywho hahahah... it made the drift sound, if anything thats teh sound of your car understeering since US LAncers dont have any type of LSD ro anything. Have fun udnersteering buddy!
Old Oct 22, 2002, 09:04 AM

LOL i never said i drifted i said a drift sound. Im not so sure about what i did but u seem to knoe what ur talking about. u mind if we chat on aim? i have a lot of simple questions u would probably be able to answer. Anyways i still need some clips of the h&t. Thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by CivicEater
i usually brake in a hard corner, and also downshift while the clutch is in.. let the clutch out slowly, and by the time you reach the apex, your engine is up to the speed of the wheels.. that way you don't have to blip the throttle..

but on regular downshifts, i always blip.. much smoother shift..
You should be out of the clutch waaaaaaaay before the apex. The only reason the engine is up to the speed of the wheels is because you have lost a ton of momentum holding the clutch in for so long. You should be modulating the throttle if needed in the turn before the apex and by the apex you should already be flat on the gas.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:40 PM

Driving towards the curve, start braking (hard, soft, depending on your speed), clutch in, neutral, release clutch

AS your braking by keeping the initial pressure u were giving it (otherwise ur gonna jolt frontwards) and blip the throttle (as u keep on doing it, ull know how much ull need to blip by feeling alone without lookin at the rpm's)

Assuming you reached your desired rpm, you down shift right away (without letting the rpm drop at all much, or else, a nice little jolt comes along once again) and finally finish breaking, then accelerate.

All this done with a smooth finish and BEFORE the apex.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by El-Vegs
Driving towards the curve, start braking (hard, soft, depending on your speed), clutch in, neutral, release clutch

AS your braking by keeping the initial pressure u were giving it (otherwise ur gonna jolt frontwards) and blip the throttle (as u keep on doing it, ull know how much ull need to blip by feeling alone without lookin at the rpm's)

Assuming you reached your desired rpm, you down shift right away (without letting the rpm drop at all much, or else, a nice little jolt comes along once again) and finally finish breaking, then accelerate.

All this done with a smooth finish and BEFORE the apex.
What you are describing is double-clutching. Its not really needed, but some people do it to baby their trannies a little more. I usually just put the clutch in under braking skip right to the gear i want, match the revs and release the clutch.

Also if anyone is interested heres a video of a lap of me racing about a month ago in San Diego. Please right click on the link and save it to your hard drive instead of streaming it directly from the server. Thanks.

Right Click and choose save as....
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:03 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Originally posted by codemunky

Hmmm...that's close to impossible...just because of the usual brake accel. setup. Also, I think you have better pedal feel with the toe on the brake, heel on the gas. Afterall, you are just blipping the throttle with the heel. However I could be wrong: How the hell do you heel-toe on Mini Coopers?
it's doable, I've tried it. Can't say I do it smooth, let alone try it racing, but it's actually a traction control issue. If you just let the clutch out and the revs don't match your speed, you will brake loose and skid. Heel is on the brake, because that's the important part going into the corner, and you can leave the brake when it's time to really hit the gas. Although, now that I think about it, they were talking about RWD, not sure if it applies to FWD. Also, the article mentioned adjusting the pedels so the brake pedal fully depressed is lined up with the unpressed gas pedal. So how well this applies to street cars as compared to fully adjustable mini formula cars is questionable, but that's what SCCA calls hee-toe.

Quick Reply: heel and toe