Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Flex e85 plus bolt ons

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2020, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flex e85 plus bolt ons

Would like to get an idea about how much do u guys think i will make whp on e85 flex fuel and pump gas with stock evo 9 turbo. Mod list
-aem intake
-ets stock route uicp and licp
-Tomei downpipe and 02 housing
-tomei testpipe
-tomei catback
-walbro 255
-fuel injector undecided which one to get yet

Last edited by Miatatotz30; May 4, 2020 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Added more mod list
Old May 4, 2020, 05:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Your list is missing:
  • Injectors (1200cc or larger)
  • 3 port boost solenoid
I would forgo the flex fuel route & go w/a simple dual map set-up
With a tune, and a boost pressure at approx 25 psi, expect a 400whp DynoJet no.
Old May 4, 2020, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Your list is missing:
  • Injectors (1200cc or larger)
  • 3 port boost solenoid
I would forgo the flex fuel route & go w/a simple dual map set-up
With a tune, and a boost pressure at approx 25 psi, expect a 400whp DynoJet no.

im not sure how dual map works! Do u mind giving me a bit information about how it works! Yes, i am working on getting a set of injectors. Thanks
Old May 7, 2020, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Miatatotz30
im not sure how dual map works! Do u mind giving me a bit information about how it works! Yes, i am working on getting a set of injectors. Thanks
You appear to be new to the game so welcome to the world of Evos.

Dual map is basically a physical switch that allows you alternate between an E85 map and a 91 map. You can do it with an actual switch or by holding the gas pedal down while turning the key to the on position and then it will jump to the alternate map. Downside with dual map is that it doesn't compensate or ethanol levels between 91 and E85. Its one or the other which typically means that your E85 tune should be conservative to account for a mixed tank of E85 and 91 (or you just use your 91 map anytime you suspect that you have any 91 in your tank).

Flex fuel can be done if you have an ethanol content reader plumbed into your fuel line. Just need to make sure that it has a 0-5 volt output (which most do) and then it will need to be wired into the ECU to an empty / non-used harness connection that can be read by the tuner. Talk to your tuner about this.

You'll absolutely need injectors. High Z injectors are preferred for better driveability but you'll need a resistor pack bypass adapter (sold by STM) Resistor Bypass High Z injectors are more expensive but they have a better spray pattern and atomization.

IMPORTANT!!! If you get a tune, it will change your CVN value on the ECU and you will no longer be able to pass SMOG or CARB Ref. Period. No way around it at this point. Only current way to pass is to undo all your mods back to stock and have a dealer reflash your ECU and show receipt to SMOG or REF. More details can be found in the posts in ECUFlash (here) and here this too (last posts especially)

Lots of shops/places in SoCal to do tuning. Hit me up on PM and I can make some recommendations for you (I'm local to SD).

Enjoy the Evo!

The following users liked this post:
DontStopMe (May 7, 2020)
Old May 8, 2020, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by fsae_alum
You appear to be new to the game so welcome to the world of Evos.

Dual map is basically a physical switch that allows you alternate between an E85 map and a 91 map. You can do it with an actual switch or by holding the gas pedal down while turning the key to the on position and then it will jump to the alternate map. Downside with dual map is that it doesn't compensate or ethanol levels between 91 and E85. Its one or the other which typically means that your E85 tune should be conservative to account for a mixed tank of E85 and 91 (or you just use your 91 map anytime you suspect that you have any 91 in your tank).

Flex fuel can be done if you have an ethanol content reader plumbed into your fuel line. Just need to make sure that it has a 0-5 volt output (which most do) and then it will need to be wired into the ECU to an empty / non-used harness connection that can be read by the tuner. Talk to your tuner about this.

You'll absolutely need injectors. High Z injectors are preferred for better driveability but you'll need a resistor pack bypass adapter (sold by STM) Resistor Bypass High Z injectors are more expensive but they have a better spray pattern and atomization.

IMPORTANT!!! If you get a tune, it will change your CVN value on the ECU and you will no longer be able to pass SMOG or CARB Ref. Period. No way around it at this point. Only current way to pass is to undo all your mods back to stock and have a dealer reflash your ECU and show receipt to SMOG or REF. More details can be found in the posts in ECUFlash (here) and here this too (last posts especially)

Lots of shops/places in SoCal to do tuning. Hit me up on PM and I can make some recommendations for you (I'm local to SD).

Enjoy the Evo!

thanks for the great info and advice. Can u explain the difference between dual map and flex fuel?
So is it for dual map i can use either 91 or e85 , not mixed?
and for flex fuel i can mix both? How much would i know to pump for each 91 and e85 together? Thank u
Old May 8, 2020, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

(Lord, Give me patience please....)
Dual map = your ECU has only 2 maps loaded into it.... 91 and E85. You (the driver) have to switch back and forth between the maps based on what you have in your tank for fuel. If its mostly E85 then you use the E85 map. If its mostly 91 then you use the 91 map. If you use the wrong map for the fuel in your tank then your car will either run like crap (best case) or you'll blow the engine real quick (worst case). Dual map does not compensate for a case when you have a tank that is half filled with 91 and half filled with E85 (it WILL happen). In that case you'd probably need to run your 91 map.

Flex fuel = you have multiple maps loaded in the ECU. The ECU uses a signal from the ethanol content reader plumbed into the fuel line to see exactly how much ethanol is in your fuel (anywhere between 15% typically in 91 up to 85% that is in E85). The ECU uses that Ethanol % to then pick the map (or interpolate between 2 maps) that is closest to the measured ethanol % and runs your engine off that. Its's pretty much carefree and much safer (less chance of an error blowing your engine) than doing dual map. Downside is that it costs more to install and tune.

Seems like you're very, very new to the tuning game so I highly suggest that you find a reputable tuner, stick with them, and have them do all this for you and watch and learn as they do it. Some reputable SoCal tuners are Dr Boost, Dardan, Tuning Technologies, and Road Race Engineering. Be warned through, they may not be as patient with endless questions as you may be expecting. Kindly suggest that you search and read these forums until your eyes bleed and then read some more and then read even more ..... and then reach out to them.
huzzle101 (May 8, 2020)
Old May 8, 2020, 12:22 PM

Dual map = your ECU has only 2 maps loaded into it.... 91 and E85. You (the driver) have to switch back and forth between the maps based on what you have in your tank for fuel. If its mostly E85 then you use the E85 map. If its mostly 91 then you use the 91 map. If you use the wrong map for the fuel in your tank then your car will either run like crap (best case) or you'll blow the engine real quick (worst case). Dual map does not compensate for a case when you have a tank that is half filled with 91 and half filled with E85 (it WILL happen). In that case you'd probably need to run your 91 map.

Flex fuel = you have multiple maps loaded in the ECU. The ECU uses a signal from the ethanol content reader plumbed into the fuel line to see exactly how much ethanol is in your fuel (anywhere between 15% typically in 91 up to 85% that is in E85). The ECU uses that Ethanol % to then pick the map (or interpolate between 2 maps) that is closest to the measured ethanol % and runs your engine off that. Its's pretty much carefree and much safer (less chance of an error blowing your engine) than doing dual map. Downside is that it costs more to install and tune.

Seems like you're very, very new to the tuning game so I highly suggest that you find a reputable tuner, stick with them, and have them do all this for you and watch and learn as they do it. Some reputable SoCal tuners are Dr Boost, Dardan, Tuning Technologies, and Road Race Engineering. Be warned through, they may not be as patient with endless questions as you may be expecting. Kindly suggest that you search and read these forums until your eyes bleed and then read some more and then read even more ..... and then reach out to them.

yes i am new to the tuning game. Originally i was only getting tuned soon when i had my bolt on parts installed. But now i decided to go e85 flex fuel to do it all at once and get around 350whp. Thanks for being patient. My tuner is aware i want to do flex fuel. im just waiting on my injectors and reading up as much as i can before the actual tune day. Your info i will keep reading over and over 👍
Old May 10, 2020, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Kind of piggy backing on this a bit.

Living in South FL, we have quite a few "E85" stations. However, not all are true "E85". It really depends as different days/locations can range from E60 all the way to E79. It's completely random. This is why I bought the Innovate E85 Gauge Kit to incorporate this into my tuning. My understanding was, if the ECU detected a lower ethanol content %, it would adjust timing and parameters accordingly. The way you are describing it, is it'll basically change the maps for you on the fly to another map versus making real-time adjustments. So if my E85 station is down to say, E55, I'll need a separate tune just for that. If the following week it's E80, I'll need to add another map so the ECU can switch to that map.

Do I have this idea correct?
Old May 11, 2020, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chrispy0530
Kind of piggy backing on this a bit.

Living in South FL, we have quite a few "E85" stations. However, not all are true "E85". It really depends as different days/locations can range from E60 all the way to E79. It's completely random. This is why I bought the Innovate E85 Gauge Kit to incorporate this into my tuning. My understanding was, if the ECU detected a lower ethanol content %, it would adjust timing and parameters accordingly. The way you are describing it, is it'll basically change the maps for you on the fly to another map versus making real-time adjustments. So if my E85 station is down to say, E55, I'll need a separate tune just for that. If the following week it's E80, I'll need to add another map so the ECU can switch to that map.

Do I have this idea correct?
No. Read this: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...n-evo-ecu.html Thanks!

Last edited by Fsae_Alum; May 11, 2020 at 07:47 PM.
Chrispy0530 (May 12, 2020)
Old May 12, 2020, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Thank you!!

All questions answered.
Old May 12, 2020, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chrispy0530
Thank you!!

All questions answered.
Didn't mean to come across short in my reply. Tons of data out there. Welcome to the learning and have fun! A really good tuner should be able to get you up to speed on what it takes to run Flex Fuel setup on your car.