Still trying to figure out E85 vs Flex Fuel - evolutionm.net



Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Still trying to figure out E85 vs Flex Fuel

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 29, 2016, 07:33 PM   #1
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
99gpgtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Indy
Posts: 68
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drives: 1999 Grand Prix GTX

Still trying to figure out E85 vs Flex Fuel

So iv been reading up and im still not 100% clear...i need someone to dumb this down for me.

1. What is needed to run e85

2. What is needed to run Flex?

i have an e85 pump literally next to my place so i dont have any issues finding an e85. So im trying to figure out money wise what is the best route to go.

Im putting on ets open dump, ets test pipe, ets intake in a couple weeks...im just debating this additional mod.

any help appreciated.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E85 is flex fuel
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2016, 02:34 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

Drives: '13 Evo X MR / '11 WRX

E85 simple build: pump and injectors, probably fuel filter
Flex simple build: same as above plus flex sensor

I'm going for a flex setup because I want to use E100 while on track and gasoline for daily drive. E85 / E100 can cause corrosion problems, specially if you don't drive your car in a regular basis.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2016, 06:35 AM   #4
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
99gpgtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Indy
Posts: 68
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drives: 1999 Grand Prix GTX

My main goal is to run e85 95% of the time and on occasion if i cant find an e85 pump i want to have the option to run 93oct...or use 93oct for road trips
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:01 PM   #5
Newbie
 
jiGGypiGGy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 75
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drives: evoX/iv

Quote:
Originally Posted by psfp View Post
E85 simple build: pump and injectors, probably fuel filter
Flex simple build: same as above plus flex sensor

I'm going for a flex setup because I want to use E100 while on track and gasoline for daily drive. E85 / E100 can cause corrosion problems, specially if you don't drive your car in a regular basis.

you cant run e85 with a catalytic converter, and you need at least 1000cc injectors and a E85 fuel pump. and a three port, since the whole reason your buring e85 is more boost you going to need a better why to control that with the tune.
intectors 1100cc $500
test pipe $100
fuel pump $150
three port $140
dual 91/e85 tune $500
________________________
for flexfuel add
sensor and hoses and blutooth senor $400
modx tune $500*
*if you do it all at once you only have to pay for one tune.
______________________________________________
flexfuel is, not so easy, you need the sensor, there is quit a bit of hose work as well, and if you want any data a blu tooth sensor so you can read you E% and temps.
this is not pug and play with a stock rom. you are going to need to run tephra Xmod v3


http://www.tephra.it/v3/


then find a tuner who can do this, kind of tune. so far there is only three in the states I know of, and one of them is an aussie national who may or not stick around and train more people.


it has strangely been backward engineered since the primary reason for this was the GT-R and it been running >truflex< the GT-R has had this for years already.


its only because of a few people whom still working on evo aftermarket this came to be. even so late in the game when so many have already jumped the " evo ship"


production for evo x parts have stopped all over the place, I expect prices to rise by the end of 16 and stock is already running dry on some things. that are not maintenance related.


so just running E85 is not flexfuel. so don't put a type R sticker on a Si, until the work is done.


if you search this site you find out who doing it and see if you can get an appointment.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2016, 01:03 PM   #6
EvoM Guru
iTrader: (8)
 
razorlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda, ca
Posts: 9,968
Thanked 106 Times in 94 Posts

Drives: a laptop connected to your ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiGGypiGGy View Post
you cant run e85 with a catalytic converter
This is not a correct statement. You are thinking leaded gas.

E85 is perfectly safe with a catalytic converter. Tried and tested for over a decade.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2016, 05:13 PM   #7
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
99gpgtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Indy
Posts: 68
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drives: 1999 Grand Prix GTX

good info
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2016, 08:57 AM   #8
Evolving Member
iTrader: (1)
 
jakgal04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ridley park
Posts: 431
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts

Drives: 08 RR Evo X

To put it even more simple, E85 is Flex Fuel.

Tuning for e85 only means you can only run e85 unless you have a dual map to run pump gas.
Flex Fuel lets the ECU interpolate the type of fuel its running, and modify the rom accordingly. So you could fill with e85, then fill with 93 without switching tunes.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:48 AM   #9
Newbie
 
jiGGypiGGy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 75
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drives: evoX/iv

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
This is not a correct statement. You are thinking leaded gas.

E85 is perfectly safe with a catalytic converter. Tried and tested for over a decade.

If one person on this site (besides you) says they run ethanol on a evo IX or X CAT ill take you word.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:57 AM   #10
Evolved Member
iTrader: (35)
 
e_kobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 2,533
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE & 2008 Evo X GSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiGGypiGGy View Post
If one person on this site (besides you) says they run ethanol on a evo IX or X CAT ill take you word.
You do realize that OEM flex fuel vehicles have catalytic converters right? And guess what...they work just fine whether its pump gas or E85.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:04 PM   #11
EvoM Guru
iTrader: (8)
 
razorlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda, ca
Posts: 9,968
Thanked 106 Times in 94 Posts

Drives: a laptop connected to your ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiGGypiGGy View Post
If one person on this site (besides you) says they run ethanol on a evo IX or X CAT ill take you word.
I've tuned over a hundred Mitsubishis on E85.

It is 100% safe to use with cats. Also, like e_kobz said above, just look at the thousands of FFV's currently out in the wild.

Again, you are thinking leaded gasoline. Or just armchair flexing.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2016, 09:09 PM   #12
Evolving Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 256
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Drives: 12-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
... Or just armchair flexing.
Nailed it. Problem is I don't have the patience to even sort the rest of that post out. Lol.

~Jaraxle
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:12 PM   #13
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
99gpgtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Indy
Posts: 68
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drives: 1999 Grand Prix GTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiGGypiGGy View Post
you cant run e85 with a catalytic converter, and you need at least 1000cc injectors and a E85 fuel pump. and a three port, since the whole reason your buring e85 is more boost you going to need a better why to control that with the tune.
intectors 1100cc $500
test pipe $100
fuel pump $150
three port $140
dual 91/e85 tune $500
________________________
for flexfuel add
sensor and hoses and blutooth senor $400
modx tune $500*
*if you do it all at once you only have to pay for one tune.
______________________________________________
flexfuel is, not so easy, you need the sensor, there is quit a bit of hose work as well, and if you want any data a blu tooth sensor so you can read you E% and temps.
this is not pug and play with a stock rom. you are going to need to run tephra Xmod v3


http://www.tephra.it/v3/


then find a tuner who can do this, kind of tune. so far there is only three in the states I know of, and one of them is an aussie national who may or not stick around and train more people.


it has strangely been backward engineered since the primary reason for this was the GT-R and it been running >truflex< the GT-R has had this for years already.


its only because of a few people whom still working on evo aftermarket this came to be. even so late in the game when so many have already jumped the " evo ship"


production for evo x parts have stopped all over the place, I expect prices to rise by the end of 16 and stock is already running dry on some things. that are not maintenance related.


so just running E85 is not flexfuel. so don't put a type R sticker on a Si, until the work is done.


if you search this site you find out who doing it and see if you can get an appointment.
If i go E85. Is a upgraded clutch required? Iv heard yes and no on this topic. Anyone with personal experience have an opinion?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:17 PM   #14
EvoM Guru
iTrader: (8)
 
razorlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda, ca
Posts: 9,968
Thanked 106 Times in 94 Posts

Drives: a laptop connected to your ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gpgtx View Post
If i go E85. Is a upgraded clutch required? Iv heard yes and no on this topic. Anyone with personal experience have an opinion?
Depends on how you drive. I've been at 131whp/94wtq over stock for 2 years now on E85 with my current Evo, since 1,100miles. Now at 19,000 miles, stock clutch.

Track days, lots of WOT runs tuning, etc.

I never launch.

You can see my build thread here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...e-build-s.html

Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:36 PM   #15
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
99gpgtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Indy
Posts: 68
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drives: 1999 Grand Prix GTX

Good to hear. Im sitting at 7k miles so no issues yet. Old, right before i bought it @26k miles had its clutch replaced :/ no performance mods. So that kinda scares me
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AEM Infinity Flex fuel tuning with Full Race EFR turbo kit tunermt AEM EMS 4 Apr 24, 2017 09:09 AM
E85 on Evo X Brandonliburdi Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums 2 Oct 2, 2016 10:48 PM
E85 and flex fuel sensors Camaran 09+ Ralliart Engine/Turbo/Drivetrain 3 Feb 3, 2016 05:37 PM
e85 or not with bolt ons EvoX267 Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums 2 Sep 22, 2015 10:35 AM
Evo X - E85 midwest seasonal changes formerSTIowner Midwest Region 5 May 12, 2014 11:44 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:39 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send