Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

So I haven't even driven my EVO yet but I'm thinking about E-85

Old May 13, 2009, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I haven't even driven my EVO yet but I'm thinking about E-85

I don't want to do too much too soon but I also want to be happy out the gate with the car. I bought from a local guy that worked at a performance shop and put his monster back to stock. His TCase developed the deathwine after he sent it to Shep, so he's sending it again and having them perform their stage just underneath the Stage 3 (with the Quaife), along with the Tranny upgrade.

Mods will be VERY BASIC. Full TBE (Greddy Ti-C) and a triple plate carbon clutch. I'm thinking about getting some 1200c injectors and finding a shop (local or email tune) to tune me on E-85. There are a few gas stations placed in areas that make this very attractive (one being right around the corner from my house).

So I've already order the map switch so I can run 2 different maps (one on 93 and one on E-85). I guess my question is 2 fold....1) What are best injectors to get. stilkiller.com has RC Engineering 1200 injectors for $389. And 2) I need to know if I can run 1200cc on a basically stock EVO with ecu flash and tuning.

I'm really iching to pull the trigger on this as a prelude to bigger cams, bigger turbo etc. I also plan to buy a double pumper fuel pump soon after so I won't kill the 1 Walbro I have installed.

Any assistance/guidance/opinion you guys can lend would be much appreciated.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1200s are fine, and should give you plenty of headroom for future growth. You should have no problems with them on an otherwise stock Evo, once the scaling and latencies for them have been adjusted in the ECU; any reputable tuner should be able to take care of that.

The single Walbro should be fine for now on the stock turbo; it's generally not a matter of "killing" the pump (although they do die from time to time), and more a case of it not being able to deliver enough fuel at the operating pressure you want it to work at. I've personally had few issues thus far with the stock turbo on E-85 and a Walbro, and the math works out pretty well; if you start reaching the limit of what the pump can do, you can always drop your fuel pressure a touch with an AFPR to squeeze a bit more out of it. As you start targeting more airflow, though, you'll definitely want to upgrade.

I'd strongly suggest adding a wideband, if the car didn't come with one from the previous owner, especially if you're planning on doing an email tune (in that case, you'll also need a cable, and would benefit from owning a copy of EvoScan). You might know all of this already; feel free to ignore me if this is painfully obvious, but definitely talk with your tuner ahead of time to find out what requirements they have of their customers.

And, may I just say it's nice to see someone willing to do "infrastructure" upgrades first, rather than just diving into power adders without any thought to fueling or other preparatory modifications.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
custom tune > mail in tune. Every car is different, so you can't expect a generic mail in tune to be optimal for your car.
Old May 13, 2009, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

He's worked with CBRD and a few other vendors before and they would do a few runs, send baselines (through AIM or MSN Messenger) get the map back, run a few more baselines, rinse repeat.

I have a AEm UEGO going in as well as some Defi BF ambers going in. I have a Tactrix cable and I have paid for access to EVOSCAN.

Anything else?
Old May 13, 2009, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Be aware that some of the winter E85 blends can be more like E75, so make sure your tune and/or monitoring solution allows you to account for or detect that.
Old May 15, 2009, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Found some PTE 1200cc direct replacement for the EVO VIII/IX. I just need to figure out latency. I may leave it to the experts for now and learn as I go.