Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Correcting an E85 Tune

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim,

No bashing... but, I've been following your E-85 threads for quite a while. I first started running E85 just a couple months after you. If memory serves correctly, you had your original E85 tune done here in the LA area, correct?

Thanks,

Jay

Sent you a PM.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by churchja
Jim,

No bashing... but, I've been following your E-85 threads for quite a while. I first started running E85 just a couple months after you. If memory serves correctly, you had your original E85 tune done here in the LA area, correct?

Thanks,

Jay

Sent you a PM.
PM returned.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
fuel maps ussually tend up ending up something like this. this is a stock evo 8 turbo 9.8 on 100 pump that did about 360whp evom at 20psi i did with lean spool enabled.

lean spool on/off dont make a difference from what ive seen. some prefer it some dont. its off on my personal evo, but its easy to do on other peoples cars with it enabled.

First off, no offense, but that fuel map is horribly "block" tuned. You should get some more transition in there.

Next, Lean spool on/off does matter, least IMHO. With lean spool OFF, AFR are more consistent pull to pull and gear to gear.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

This may sound stupid and forgive me if it does, but the way we scale the 2g eclipses with ecuflash is by running full time open loop. Why dont you jsut do that and then you dont have to play around with fuel trims.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 09:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
First off, no offense, but that fuel map is horribly "block" tuned. You should get some more transition in there.

Next, Lean spool on/off does matter, least IMHO. With lean spool OFF, AFR are more consistent pull to pull and gear to gear.
gives perfect a/f and has the evo 8 spooled by 3300 and peak tq by 3900 .. a/f is laser solid ..... maps fine. doesnt matter if you block a fuel map, you do whatever gives more control over the a/f and blocking does just that. ALL major big well known tuners block.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 09:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by VETTE_50_TH
This may sound stupid and forgive me if it does, but the way we scale the 2g eclipses with ecuflash is by running full time open loop. Why dont you jsut do that and then you dont have to play around with fuel trims.
you still have to confirm the deadtimes within reason for the injectors for the car so you cant really dial that in if youre stuck in open loop.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:06 AM
Former Sponsor

gives perfect a/f and has the evo 8 spooled by 3300 and peak tq by 3900 .. a/f is laser solid ..... maps fine. doesnt matter if you block a fuel map, you do whatever gives more control over the a/f and blocking does just that. ALL major big well known tuners block.
Not all major tuners block tune. You can keep thinking that if you want.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Not all major tuners block tune. You can keep thinking that if you want.
80% do. I can make a smooth fuel map also it makes no difference with the car. I can name 3 right now that would shut you up. But im not gonna bother.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

80% do. I can make a smooth fuel map also it makes no difference with the car. I can name 3 right now that would shut you up. But im not gonna bother.
The same "10.8" shouldnt at 160load and 5000rpm then at 340load and 5000rpm.

Im not just talking about WOT tuning. Im talkin about part throttle and transition tuning, which that map is lackin very much.

I can also name BIG tuners that DONT block tune the hell out of the fuel map if "that would shut you up. But Im not gonna bother."
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:27 AM
Former Sponsor

The same "10.8" shouldnt at 160load and 5000rpm then at 340load and 5000rpm.

Im not just talking about WOT tuning. Im talkin about part throttle and transition tuning, which that map is lackin very much.

I can also name BIG tuners that DONT block tune the hell out of the fuel map if "that would shut you up. But Im not gonna bother."
this map was shown only to display WOT control, i did not tune his fuel map for cruise or part throttle... so ya it could use some work in those areas. i was only referring to WOT tho. which were approx 230-250 for that guy.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

you still have to confirm the deadtimes within reason for the injectors for the car so you cant really dial that in if youre stuck in open loop.
If the supplier, for instance, DeatschWerks, which i have the 1600's injectors, gives you a latency sheet from 6-18V, why would i have to change the deadtimes? Wouldnt i just have to change the overall size of the injector?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:40 PM
Former Sponsor

yes , sometimes your latencies will vary tho even to manufacturer settings.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm. The reason why im concerned is i dont wanna F with latencies in closed loop. Open loop tuning seems so much easier. Having the ecu just read to your high octane map instead of messing with fuel trims seems the easier way. Not only that, you can just log the wideband ans lean or richen the injectors to get the afrs correct.
Old May 30, 2010, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What should my 1byte load read?

your spoolup needs lots of work or you have a boost leak
And, the correct answer was...boost leak. After new throttle body seals and new injector seals, I'm now hitting peak 1byte load at 3,500 rpm.

However, my peak load is 350. This seems high to me.

What should my peak load be with an IX turbo at 28spi on a mildly tuned VIII running E85 at 2,400 feet elevation?

Old May 31, 2010, 02:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
And, the correct answer was...boost leak. After new throttle body seals and new injector seals, I'm now hitting peak 1byte load at 3,500 rpm.

However, my peak load is 350. This seems high to me.

What should my peak load be with an IX turbo at 28spi on a mildly tuned VIII running E85 at 2,400 feet elevation?

I don't know at that elevation whats normal and whats not, but i wouldn't worry about it. sounds like its spooling how it should now. Evo 9 turbo isn't exactly that little, keep that in mind.

Quick Reply: Correcting an E85 Tune