Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Running straight methanol

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running straight methanol

What all else would I need to run straight methanol in my evo? Im currently running fic 1050s and a walbro 255 but will be going to the new dw300 soon. Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
100% meth is not a problem at all....
Old Feb 1, 2011, 04:16 AM
Evolving Member

Bump for more info
Old Feb 1, 2011, 04:33 AM
Evolving Member

methanol sucks!!!!...........my engine went kaboommmmmmmmmmm because of that!...i will go e85...good luck
Old Feb 1, 2011, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Methanol is going to very difficult to fire off in the morning- especially right now in Lincoln NE.

Last edited by 1outlaw; Feb 1, 2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Well the car is not my daily driver, only sees about 2500 miles a year tops, and i am not talking about methanol injection, but rather switching from e85 to methanol as my main fuel. A local shop here stocks it.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 04:07 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone else?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

These guys run 100% meth 4g63 engines. They built the motor for Brent Rau's 1400 HP 4g63
http://magnusmotorsports.com/

Don't know who Brent Rau is? check here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d91zK-QlW0

On a side note, I believe drag racers whom run 100% meth usually drain there fuel tanks when the car is not running due to the corrosion.

Last edited by skiracer; Feb 3, 2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

I know lots of high power racers use methanol in race cars, i just am curious if anything needs to be changed from running e85 besides the tune.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Wrong info being passed to the o.p.There running straight meth as a fuel no pump at all mixed..When using meth as a power adder and adding to much * and lean afr's would case a problem if anything fails pump.nozzle clogged,etc etc ..

If you use it as a cushion afr around 11.1 and decent * around 14 peak then yes it's fine so you can run high boost and not worry about picking up a bad tank of gas.If the pump fails usually the afrs will go 1 point leaner and this can cause a issue,,

My friend ran 100% meth for 2 years and no ill effects the key is tune tune tune find a good tuner and a good kit like aqauiamist or labaonte he loved that kit never 1 issue ever..
Old Feb 4, 2011, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Once again... I am NOT looking to add meth injection. there is a section for that. I am looking to add methanol as a PRIMARY fuel and would like to know what needs to be changed.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

I'm guessing all the fuel lines/pumps/injectors will need to be changed to methanol compatibile products since methanol is a lot more corrosive compared to E85.

Or you might consider running E98 since it won't be as corrosive as methanol.... I think there's a few peeps here who are running E98
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Not really sure where to start on this one. This is one of those things that if you have to ask, then don't run it. Unless you want to waste a lot of time and money.

You'll likely need an entirely new fuel setup including every line, fitting, grommet, etc. You'll spend a crap load on setting it all up, running it and repairing every issue it causes for you.

You can't see it when it burns, its hygroscopic, its expensive, it corrode the crap out of metal, it requires a TON of fuel, its going to wash out your oil faster.....

Okay I'm done. Don't do it. Don't waste your time and don't waste anymore of ours talking about it . If you really need to be crazy and run a stupid fuel, run E98, period.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

now we're getting somewhere lol... I am currently tuned on ~e90 and am not getting close to knock and anymore boost will just be hot air or more timing will just beat on the bearings. I was thinking methanol purely because of the increased cooling effects it has compared to e85 and that it has a slightly better btu/stoich ratio iirc... this means more power
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
Not really sure where to start on this one. This is one of those things that if you have to ask, then don't run it. Unless you want to waste a lot of time and money.

You'll likely need an entirely new fuel setup including every line, fitting, grommet, etc. You'll spend a crap load on setting it all up, running it and repairing every issue it causes for you.

You can't see it when it burns, its hygroscopic, its expensive, it corrode the crap out of metal, it requires a TON of fuel, its going to wash out your oil faster.....

Okay I'm done. Don't do it. Don't waste your time and don't waste anymore of ours talking about it . If you really need to be crazy and run a stupid fuel, run E98, period.
This is what I was looking for... I am not trying to replace the whole fuel system or anything lol... just looking to eeek a little more power out of my setup. I know it is corrosive, but ethanol is supposed to be also. And they are both hygroscopic also. I know the stoich ratio for methanol is in the 6:1 range where ethanol is 9.7, therefore it is going to need more fuel. I wasnt trying to waste anyone's time here, just tossing an idea around

Quick Reply: Running straight methanol