Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Going lean on wot on e-85

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going lean on wot on e-85

Well my cars been converted to e-85 for about 2 months now. I have fic 1050's, wally 255, and supporting mods. Lately I noticed when I do pulls, at wot on full boost my afrs are high 12's to low 13's. They were fine before and I do not know why they are lean now. I pulled my injectors and cleaned them they were not bad at all. I ran seafoam through my tank also. Could I have gotten bad e-85? I have been getting t all from the same station. Any ideas on what else I could check to find out the root of this problem?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having same problem. I'm going for a clean up on my tune soon. Re adjusting fuel pressure changing plugs and what not. Are you on speed density?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pull your injectors and inspect them. You might be getting gunk from the e85 and they could be getting clogged. Run a bottle of seafoam in the tank maybe that could help clean them out.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 07:26 AM
PRS
Account Disabled

Have you checked your fuel pressure regulator and pump?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 07:46 AM
Account Disabled

Check the ethanol content and see what it is now... if you were running it 2 months ago, it could have been E70, and may be back to E85 now, and that is why you are running a bit lean...As others have said check injectors, and also check for fuel leaks and pressure drops on the fuel feed line
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BuBBasEVO
Having same problem. I'm going for a clean up on my tune soon. Re adjusting fuel pressure changing plugs and what not. Are you on speed density?
Yeah im gonna get the tune checked out soon. Im running stock maf. Also running stock plugs.

Originally Posted by escodotcarter
pull your injectors and inspect them. You might be getting gunk from the e85 and they could be getting clogged. Run a bottle of seafoam in the tank maybe that could help clean them out.
Already did that.

Originally Posted by PRS
Have you checked your fuel pressure regulator and pump?
Pump is fine, running stock fpr and hose is zipped tied on.

Originally Posted by Freddie@Spec-Ops
Check the ethanol content and see what it is now... if you were running it 2 months ago, it could have been E70, and may be back to E85 now, and that is why you are running a bit lean...As others have said check injectors, and also check for fuel leaks and pressure drops on the fuel feed line
Yeah I agree. I need to get one of those ethanol testers. I dont think its leaking fuel. I am going to do a boost leak test at the same time as the tune.

Thanks for all of the input everyone.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Are you sure it's not the WB Sensor going out? Best way to tell is throw it on a dyno and see what actually going on.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mdsevo06
Are you sure it's not the WB Sensor going out? Best way to tell is throw it on a dyno and see what actually going on.
WB is less than 3 months old
Old Feb 6, 2012, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Ok so I did the boost leak test. All good. Injectors are pump are good also. E-85 tested good ethanol content. Im thinking I just need to add more fuel to my tune. Any other ideas to throw out there?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Have you tried dialing back the boost just a bit to see if that brings the AFRs down? If there was a major difference in temps between two months ago and now, you may simply be taking in denser air, causing you to go a little leaner than when you were tuned in the warmer temps.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cheb evo
Have you tried dialing back the boost just a bit to see if that brings the AFRs down? If there was a major difference in temps between two months ago and now, you may simply be taking in denser air, causing you to go a little leaner than when you were tuned in the warmer temps.
Good point. I am going to retune in a few days and see if that will be the fix.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 07:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
e85 tunes tend to run lean in cold weather. if temps have dropped since your tune, could explain the leaner afr. i typically richen my fuel map by at least half a point in winter.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
e85 tunes tend to run lean in cold weather. if temps have dropped since your tune, could explain the leaner afr. i typically richen my fuel map by at least half a point in winter.
That explains alot. I got tuned when it was a lot warmer outside. Thanks for that input.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Bumping this thread from the grave.

So this problem still exists. I recently tuned outside and it was about 105 degrees last week sometime. Afrs were spot on at right about 12.0 through WOT. Now a few days later I do a pull in the evening and AFRs are around 12.7ish throughout WOT. Anyone have an idea of what the problem could be?

Running v7 SD grimmspeed 3-port at 28psi stock ix turbo e85.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts
The lower temperature in the evening, compared to the 105 deg F you set your tune at, means that the air is denser and so your engine is actually getting more air. Unless you increase the fueling to match, this will make your AFR higher, i.e. leaner. E85 fueling is more sensitive to temperature changes than gas probably because of it's higher flash point and greater latent heat of vaporization.

Quick Reply: Going lean on wot on e-85