Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Running E85? Educate yourself with this article!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PKEVO8
I know that evom may not be the place for this, but I really don't understand why you guys keep using corn ethanol when it is the most inefficient means of production? Yes, you make power, but at what cost when the prices of gas and e-85 are balancing out? In regards to energy production, corn for ethanol requires 1,150 times as much land as nuclear energy. This statistic may be out of context, considering it is in terms of energy production and not vehicle consumption, but if that much extra land space is being used for energy, how much more is being used for for vehicles? Sorry if this seems like a rant, I'm just playing devil's advocate, and something so unsustainable and inefficient is not going to last...what will you do when e-85 stops being produced?
I love the idea of nuclear power, and wish it was used more in the US, but how does nuclear power have any effect on what fuel people are running in their Evo?

Not trying to be sarcastic, I'm genuinely interested.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good read
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:11 AM

Thanks for posting. Making the switch in two weeks! And if e85 does disappear, I'll switch back to 91. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 01:30 PM
ast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PKEVO8
Sorry if this seems like a rant, I'm just playing devil's advocate, and something so unsustainable and inefficient is not going to last...what will you do when e-85 stops being produced?
Corn is not the only source for ethanol. In my country ethanol in E85 is entirely produced from bio-waste, not corn or sugar cane...

Last edited by ast; Feb 8, 2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 01:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Its all old news.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Its all old news.
If you're referring to the article...pat yourself on the back. I guarantee that MOST did not know the info as it is rather technical.

The question is...is it possible to integrate the GM ethanol tester into the stock ecu (like proEFI). I know it would be a huge undertaking, but I bet people would pay for that versatility without having to do the bottle tests.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 01:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by boostless
If you're referring to the article...pat yourself on the back. I guarantee that MOST did not know the info as it is rather technical.

The question is...is it possible to integrate the GM ethanol tester into the stock ecu (like proEFI). I know it would be a huge undertaking, but I bet people would pay for that versatility without having to do the bottle tests.
Yes I was talking about the artical and such, out where I live they weres suppose to build a refinary for e85 and they shot it down because of whatever reason but the info is all around me, and to answer your question I believe zeitronics makes there kit to plug into the stock ecu. Maybe this is different then your invisioning but it is a good idea and something to think about.

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml
Old Feb 9, 2012, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Yes I was talking about the artical and such, out where I live they weres suppose to build a refinary for e85 and they shot it down because of whatever reason but the info is all around me, and to answer your question I believe zeitronics makes there kit to plug into the stock ecu. Maybe this is different then your invisioning but it is a good idea and something to think about.

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml
Close, but I'm thinking more along the lines of being able to do this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1CzmmMUy50

Unfortunately, it's a piggy back, which is a little annoying to me
Old Feb 9, 2012, 01:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah thats pretty slick
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:32 AM
ast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The question is...is it possible to integrate the GM ethanol tester into the stock ecu (like proEFI)..
Yes, that's what is happening now - stock ECU flex fuel support

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9942018-post109.html
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
I'm not really too worried because natural race gas, a.k.a. dimethyl furans are already a reality.

These nextgen bio-fuels are made from any organic starter product that contains carbohydrates or natural sugars, like sucrose or glucose. They have a 40% higher energy density than ethanol, much closer to gasoline, and they don't absorb water like the corn juice does.

Just imagine running your evo on fuels brewed from fruit juice.......smells good!

Read all about it here:
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007...chers_con.html
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007...um-engine.html
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

Hey boostless - did you see this?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/al...ng-soon-7.html

We're nearly there..... I'll be testing this soon.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

I can't believe I missed this, I've been looking at the ProEfi unit for a LONG time, but would never commit to it because of the $3k price tag. If this breakthrough is completed, I will donate again.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i tried doing some searching but where do i find the zone classifications??
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cody92talon
i tried doing some searching but where do i find the zone classifications??
I haven't been able to find that info yet, but I see that you live in PA, where there are actual seasonal changes. I would get the ethanol content tester or do the bottle test as the season changes

Quick Reply: Running E85? Educate yourself with this article!!