Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

E85 Gauge w/ output for under $100

Old Jul 1, 2017, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
I've had mine up and running for awhile, only issue is out of the car the readings are fine, but in the car my temp values are nonsensical and jump around while the ethanol % is pretty stable but will sometimes jump to random numbers.

It's odd because the function all seems to be fine, even verified against the test tube method, but something in the car is causing it to go haywire. Even switched to a shielded wire for signal from the sensor
I am having close to the same issue. Start up in the morning and it will read just fine. then later will read bonkers. sometimes will even show 0%... I can force it happening by rolling the windows up, then pressing up on the switch to put a load on the alt, and it will make the gauge read 0%. It will do it with my oled screen as well. so i know its not a issue with code, has to be some kind of voltage issue with something, somewhere
Old Sep 20, 2017, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What kind of coupler did you guys use to fit a 5/16" line on to the (1/4"?) fuel rail return line? I tried fitting it yesterday afternoon but it seems like 5/16" is too big to clamp down on there.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrb00st
I am having close to the same issue. Start up in the morning and it will read just fine. then later will read bonkers. sometimes will even show 0%... I can force it happening by rolling the windows up, then pressing up on the switch to put a load on the alt, and it will make the gauge read 0%. It will do it with my oled screen as well. so i know its not a issue with code, has to be some kind of voltage issue with something, somewhere
I seem to be having the same issue over here. I had stable readings on the ethanol reading and hz but the temperature was all over the place on my bench. After I installed the unit in the car, now the temperate and ethanol jump. The temperature has nonsense for numbers and the f for Fahrenheit disappears. The ethanol seems to jump around and land back onto 10% which is likely the actual ethanol content of the current 93 octane. I checked the output of the sensor and it is holding stable as far as output goes. I am going to to try to power things with an outside power source and see if that clears things up. I have tried various ground combinations and pulled from various areas. I also tried to power things with usb as the jack on the other side of the arduino. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I should note that I purchased all of my parts from the links in the first post, and the car is an evo x.

R
Old Oct 2, 2017, 08:14 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Sounds like I'm glad I didn't try this LOL. Good luck, guys. I'll keep my eye on this thread, in case I get the urge to try.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Sounds like I'm glad I didn't try this LOL. Good luck, guys. I'll keep my eye on this thread, in case I get the urge to try.
It's useful enough, and cheap enough...wanna buy mine?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 06:42 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
It's useful enough, and cheap enough...wanna buy mine?
I'll check back in the thread... but are you having any of the issues the others are stating? If not, yes I would.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a video of the set up running in my car. The car is fueled with 93 octane, and I am cruising on the highway. It seems to hover at 10% then bounce around, returning to 10%. I will have to put a multimeter on the output to make sure it is putting out the right voltage.

Any other thoughts?

Please excuse the camera orientation.

Old Oct 8, 2017, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

thats what were all dealing with
Old Oct 8, 2017, 08:57 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
maybe a better power supply for the arduino? Maybe some protection on its input, like a decoupling capacitor, and a zener to protect from voltage spikes.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

I tried two different power sources and shielded wire, but didn't go further than that.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
I cant get mine to read anything but 0. I tried with a USB and a barrel connector. Tried puting a ground to the GRND on the arduino still nothing.. Any ideas?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 572 Likes on 430 Posts
Got my arduino programmed and the LCD working tonight. This is the first time I've ever done any sort of coding and it wasn't bad. Just had to get used to how the arduino software works.

Some notes to help anyone who goes through with this:

- I used the libraries and code from the OP. The two libraries in the zipped folder you download there are for the LCD. Be sure to change the - to a _ in the LiquidCrystal-I2C (change to LiquidCrystal_I2C) library. The software had trouble identifying this library properly before changing it. And change the LiquidCrystal library's name to LCD, as this will also help the arduino software properly find this library.

- The third library needed is the wire library. I had to go online to find this one (link: https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/t...libraries/Wire) and just copied the code and made a new library. Open notepad and copy the code for the .h file and save it as wire.h. Do the same for the .cpp file and save it as wire.cpp. Lastly, (not sure if it's actually needed but I did it anyway) copy the keywords file and save it as keywords.txt. Put all of these 3 files into a folder and name the folder Wire. Move this folder into your libraries folder.

- I used the scanner that MrBoost linked a couple pages ago to get the I2C address as mine was different from what's in the code. Link: https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/I2cScanner

After getting that stuff squared away it displays as it should. I still have to wire up the sensor and make an enclosure for the arduino but that's easy. Hoping to be able to test it out sometime in the next week or so. I'll report back when I have some results. Thanks to everyone who helped push this project along!

The following users liked this post:
Project_Broke (Nov 14, 2017)
Old Nov 9, 2017, 02:17 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resour...CD00181783.pdf How to setup your electronics to survive in automotive.
The following users liked this post:
butte (Mar 23, 2019)
Old Nov 15, 2017, 05:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 572 Likes on 430 Posts
Made an enclosure for the arduino as well as a prototype bracket to mount the sensor on the back of the intake manifold. Confirmed bracket fitment earlier today and should be cutting one out of metal later this week. I'll post up some pictures of the finished setup when I'm done with it. Just need to finish wiring everything up and I should be good to go then.

Old Nov 15, 2017, 06:32 PM
kaj

....still waiting to see one function properly

Or are they and I missed the post?? I really wanna be able to do this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E85 Gauge w/ output for under $100