Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Taking the plunge. Is this feasible?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 08:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by N1MR0D
It kinda sounds like you guys are saying "go get the short list of bare minimum parts and get a tune and go enjoy it." Stop messing about!
Exactly, keep it simple to start. We all can have an engine build party down the road
Old Jul 12, 2017, 08:15 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
It honestly depends on your
"money/time I want to put into it : fun " ratio.

​​​​​my car is down more than I drive it. Makes me want to sell. If I could go back and start over again...
Old Jul 13, 2017, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
So I've read about speed density and MAF. I understand the concept between the two. At what point is it a consideration to move from MAF to speed density?
SD is a whole different animal for tuning. Do research to find the few who can truly tune it. That's the main reason why I stayed away, for now. From what I've read, there isn't many who can tune SD to run as good as MAF, let alone better.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
SD is a whole different animal for tuning. Do research to find the few who can truly tune it. That's the main reason why I stayed away, for now. From what I've read, there isn't many who can tune SD to run as good as MAF, let alone better.
SD tuning is not any harder than maf tuning IMO. Slightly more work, but not harder.
Stuff is not rocket science get your A/F correct then jack up the timing till it stops making power done. Same concept. With a non recirculated BOV car will run better on SD. E85 should net you easy over 400hp but you will need a 4 bar sensor with SD, or just stick with maf and tune for E85 would be the easiest.
The following users liked this post:
CDrinkH2O (Jul 23, 2017)
Old Jul 13, 2017, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
It honestly depends on your
"money/time I want to put into it : fun " ratio.

​​​​​my car is down more than I drive it. Makes me want to sell. If I could go back and start over again...
Well I bought some parts and have committed to speed density. We will see how it goes.

Time is more the problem. I don't have a lot of it to spare. I want to put more fun in to this. I don't get to enjoy her much anymore. My wife does. I do it for the pleasure of doing something I enjoy doing. But I understand. It's more fun to run the twisties than fight with rust.

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Exactly, keep it simple to start. We all can have an engine build party down the road
THAT sounds like too much fun! I would love that!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Well I bought some parts and have committed to speed density. We will see how it goes.
I'll grab a bag of popcorn and see how your tune goes. Lol
I've read too much complaints of tuners claiming to know how to tune for SD but car didn't run as smooth after the switch. Maybe the spent enough time in their base maps to fix this by now? GL and I hope it works out for you!
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:18 AM
kaj

I've read too much complaints of tuners claiming to know how to tune for SD but car didn't run as smooth after the switch. Maybe the spent enough time in their base maps to fix this by now? GL and I hope it works out for you!
Links?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

SD tunes have been around FOREVER for this platform. If a tuner can't tune SD, they probably shouldn't be tuning your car. I've had zero issues with my car being on speed density for the last 4 years. I have also not really seen anyone complain about it until now.

OP, one thing to note is you should, at the very least, get a AFR gauge. You'll need it for tuning purposes. And it's just a good thing to be able to visually monitor to make sure things are going well.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Links?
I can't since it specifically names the tuners. I'll keep an eye out for the best local tuner.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:51 AM
kaj

I can't since it specifically names the tuners. I'll keep an eye out for the best local tuner.
You can't link other threads on this forum because it mentions specific tuners? Even though.. the threads... are... already on the forum...?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Just trying to keep thread on positive side. ;-)
Just focus on getting OP to his planned power level.
Originally Posted by kaj
You can't link other threads on this forum because it mentions specific tuners? Even though.. the threads... are... already on the forum...?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 09:57 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
**Edited** I just installed my HTA71 and just got tuned June 9th.
I do want more power but that means bigger turbo, and engine build (which won't be in my budget for another 10 years).

The hta71 is the perfect turbo for stock engine where we get best response that pushes the engine to it's limits. Many others have been saying this for years and they're right. Don't get me wrong. I love my hta71. I just want to beat the Hellcats on the track, but that will be expensive. Lol
Is your hta71 bigger than my hta3076r?

If so, I don't know why you would need more power. I have hta3076r with a Buschur built 2.3 and it scares the crap out of me with e85. I honestly can't use my lower gears wide-open throttle, it's just too much acceleration. I can get on it hard in 4th or higher but the mph is just too high to be safe.

I'm probably just a scaredy-cat driver but I don't understand how people go with these bigger turbos like the 3582 and such.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 06:49 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Jp7

If so, I don't know why you would need more power. I have hta3076r with a Buschur built 2.3 and it scares the crap out of me with e85. I honestly can't use my lower gears wide-open throttle, it's just too much acceleration. I can get on it hard in 4th or higher but the mph is just too high to be safe.

I'm probably just a scaredy-cat driver but I don't understand how people go with these bigger turbos like the 3582 and such.
They don't care how the cars drive. They want them dyno numbers.
: lol:
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Hta71 is fast spooling turbo. It is linear (because of tuner), so it is very tamed. Not scary at all and very predictable. I think your 3076 is a bigger turbo sincr the hta71 actually has a 68mm **exducer**.

Your tuner should reduce the boost in lower gears *if* it is too scaryfor you.

Originally Posted by Jp7

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Jul 18, 2017 at 12:19 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:06 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Your tuner should reduce the boost in lower gears of it is too scaryfor you.
I probably just need to grow a set, and get more accustomed to it.

I only drive my car a few times a year so lack of practice makes it difficult to both enjoy or learn. I put about 150 miles on it in the last 2 weeks and that's more than I've done in a while. I had my engine built in summer 2014 and I only now going through my 3rd tank of e85. I've only probably been through about 500 miles or so since then.

Quick Reply: Taking the plunge. Is this feasible?