Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Want to go e85 and 91

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Want to go e85 and 91

trying to hit the 500hp so what is a good set up for fuel pump and injectors. btw i have a stock block with bolt on, cams n cam gears. New to the evo gang
Old Feb 28, 2019, 02:23 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
For sure a larger turbo will be needed. I.e. FP Green / Red w/cams on E85 will certainly get you close / there

450 style fuel pump & ID 1300cc injectors

Cam gears not needed

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Feb 28, 2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 02:54 PM

Oh yea forgot to put going with a fp red bb

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
For sure a larger turbo will be needed. I.e. FP Green / Red w/cams on E85 will certainly get you close / there

450 style fuel pump & 1300cc injectors

Cam gears not needed
Old Feb 28, 2019, 02:59 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
+1 for FP Green, 1300cc injectors, 3"ish FMIC, 450 or double pumper fuel pump, open-element air filter, 3" TBE /c test pipe, 2.75" O2 housing, LICP, mild cam. All minimum for 500whp. You can spend more or go bigger from there if you wanna get fancy.
500whp happens to be the magic number for when things get complicated and more involved/expensive.
Lucky you.
500whp on pump will require a much larger turbo. Much larger.

Old Feb 28, 2019, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Sounds like you'll have a fun evo all said and done! You should def hit up Alex: sales@brewedmotorsports.com he's always helped out big time with technical info and great discounts on all the go fast bits!
I didn't see any mention yet but a good intake manifold also goes a long long ways in making good power mid/high RPM. If your looking to get the most out of something like an FP red or green HIGHLY recommend a hypertune of AMS intake manifold. *just allows the engine to work more efficiently in the RPM range the turbo and cams are designed for.*
The following users liked this post:
Kong Vaj (Mar 1, 2019)
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:38 PM
kaj

Spending money on an intake manifold is in no way needed for 500whp. Waste of money ,at that power level. It would only function as bling.
Kong Vaj (Mar 1, 2019)
Old Mar 1, 2019, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Spending money on an intake manifold is in no way needed for 500whp. Waste of money ,at that power level. It would only function as bling.
Definitely agree with kaj. Just get Flex Fuel set up with cams and should be there since you already have an FP red bb.
Kong Vaj (Mar 1, 2019)
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:21 PM

Thanks ill check it out.

Originally Posted by tunermt
Sounds like you'll have a fun evo all said and done! You should def hit up Alex: sales@brewedmotorsports.com he's always helped out big time with technical info and great discounts on all the go fast bits!
I didn't see any mention yet but a good intake manifold also goes a long long ways in making good power mid/high RPM. If your looking to get the most out of something like an FP red or green HIGHLY recommend a hypertune of AMS intake manifold. *just allows the engine to work more efficiently in the RPM range the turbo and cams are designed for.*
Old Mar 3, 2019, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

I def would not say an intake manifold is a waste of money as a couple others stated above. Don't get me wrong you can easily make 500hp with the cams and a turbo BUT it will take a good bit more boost to make the same power compared to the same cam/turbo combo with a hypertune or AMS intake manifold. It's a "work smart not hard" type of thing for your engine.
Again not "needed" but something that will help the engine make more power with less boost which means less strain/stress on the engine/turbo.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 06:49 PM
kaj

Lots of things help, if you want to be more extravagant. That list could go on forever. Picking a manifold is somewhat arbitrary. That, and it makes the car less responsive for the same net power output.
I can't speak for a "hypertune", as I have no idea what that is.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Extravagant no, efficient yes:
With your mindset why swap cams then? Just bolt on a big old 66-72mm inducer turbo throw in the Ethanol and turn the boost up you can make 500 on stock cams.... it can be done but why would you not use the correct parts when they are available? I recommend changing the intake manifold along with the cams for the exact same reasons, both are designed to move more air more efficiently at a higher RPM range than the stock parts which means more power with less boost which means less strain and stress on the engine.
An aftermarket intake manifold does not mean "less responsive" either. If you experienced this you should go back and look closer at exactly what was done and where it went wrong. **something as simple as using a poorly designed intake manifold will also hurt power which is why i only recommended the 2 best manifolds**
If your not familiar with hypertune manifolds here's a link https://brewedmotors.com/hypertune-m...nifold-90mm-tb
****If budget is a big factor and the main thing you're after is a dyno number then ya scrap the efficient parts$$ and just throw boost at it to make your number. For me that dyno number is not so important, i much prefer an efficient set up that will make reliable power throughout the RPM range.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 06:00 PM
kaj

Or... He can go with what's simple, proven, and works without spending more money than needed. It's not like he's tapping out an HTA71 at a million psi to make 500whp. It's a Red, which will do it, on a stock IM, with absolutely no problem.
TLDR: if it ain't broke, don't spend the extra cash to fix it.

Last edited by kaj; Mar 5, 2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The stock intake manifold flows really well. A ported stock mani flows even better. Unless you're thinking of 650+ whp, i wouldn't even be looking at swapping manifolds. Money is better spent in other areas (this has been outlined above).
Old Mar 6, 2019, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

If you guys want to force more boost to make the power rather than making the engine more efficient for your target RPM range then so be it, nothing wrong with that and yes it will get you the #. I personally set up engines to run as efficient as possible IE make the most power possible with the least effort/stress on the parts. Upgrading the intake manifold is the same idea as changing to a higher duration cam profile, using a correctly sized plenum with tapered runners will net you power throughout the RPM range and compliment the larger than stock cam profile and turbo.
Given all other variables remain the same besides stock VS Hypertune or AMS intake manifold the engine will make a good 10-20% more power throughout the RPM range at the same boost with the proper IM. A great way to visually measure or see this: when tuning on a modern ECU that uses a VE fueling calculation you will see a huge increase in engine efficiency in the 4000-9000rpm range at the same boost when changing to a good intake manifold. You can even see these results on a small turbo/stock turbo set up using decent cams and a hypertune or AMS intake manifold, there is a good chunk of power to be had by making your engine more efficiently accept all that glorious boost you're going to be sending it.

***now be careful and don't just buy any intake manifold, there are indeed a lot of intake manifolds out there that do not make good power and are designed like SH*T, the 2 mentioned above will not disappoint though.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 06:05 PM
kaj

OP asked for a "good" setup to make 500whp and we gave it to him. Had he asked the most efficient way to do so, how to make the most whp/wtq through the rev range, or how to eek out every bit of WHP from his setup, we would have recommended other routes. The amount of boost needed from an FP Red, on a stock IM, is nowhere near being dangerous or otherwise in need of lowering. I can name 100 things to make 500whp more efficiently, if you don't mind spending the money. In this case, unless OP otherwise states, it's not needed.
K.I.S.S.
Unless you sell intake manifolds. In that case, we get why you are so stuck on this issue.