Notices
ECU Flash

Knock Issues(?)... what do you think is up?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Knock Issues(?)... what do you think is up?

I did a "daily driving" logging run this morning and noticed some weird knock sum numbers on the log. Was wondering if anyone can take a look and throw out any ideas on what I can do to "get rid" of them?
I'm attaching the xls file, if you are interested in looking. I cut up the sections where there is knock sum numbers to make it easier.

This is on 93 octance, 1.5bar boost...
Attached Files
File Type: zip
myLog_121306_knockareas.zip (90.9 KB, 56 views)
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like it is only when the car is coming into boost. It is almost normal for an Evo to have up to 4-5 knock counts. You can go to the ECUFlash section and download the software and buy the cable and take a degree of timing out around there if you want.....thats what I did.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 01:08 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EvoAnthony
Looks like it is only when the car is coming into boost. It is almost normal for an Evo to have up to 4-5 knock counts. You can go to the ECUFlash section and download the software and buy the cable and take a degree of timing out around there if you want.....thats what I did.
+1
Old Dec 13, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks!
Yeah i have Ecuflash and the cable. I'll have to really understand the timing values to figure out if I should even really mess with the timing maps. I'm sticking to fuel maps for now, but will definitely consider what you have mentioned.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
The car is knocking more than 4-5 counts. Some sections of the log have a series of 7-6-5-4 counts. I do not think that is normal at all.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rsboy
I did a "daily driving" logging run this morning and noticed some weird knock sum numbers on the log. Was wondering if anyone can take a look and throw out any ideas on what I can do to "get rid" of them?
I'm attaching the xls file, if you are interested in looking. I cut up the sections where there is knock sum numbers to make it easier.

This is on 93 octance, 1.5bar boost...
It seems that your car has too much timing advance @ peak torque boost. The ECU is trying to maintain 7-8*. Who was your tuner?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

rsboy,

Can you please do a log from 2500 rpm to 7500 rpm in 3rd gear on a flat road and post it? That will give us a lot more info than the partials that you posted.

Also, do you have a wideband so we know what your AFR is?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

ya man 22+ psi, with 8* of timing advance at peak torque is too much on 93 octane. im assuming you dont have a wideband? try dropping timing down 2-3* in that area and then do a full 3rd gear pull.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 02:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by coolguycooz
ya man 22+ psi, with 8* of timing advance at peak torque is too much on 93 octane. im assuming you dont have a wideband? try dropping timing down 2-3* in that area and then do a full 3rd gear pull.
For road tuning 4th gear would be ideal.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the replies..
Unfortunately, I don't have a wideband hooked up to the car. That's why I'm looking at the knock sums to try and get the car to a (maybe?) safer knock free level. I compared my fuel maps to others and it's somewhat conservative compared to some stage 1 - stage 2 maps. So without the wideband, hopefully my car is running at a good level, even though not to it's full potential. But yes, I do understand the importance of the wideband.

I took the advice and took off some timing in the areas where most of the knock sums were happening and it worked. Just need to take a few more degrees off, it seems. Can't seem to upload the xls file right now. I will most likely try to do the 3rd and 4th gear pulls this weekend and see if the updates worked out.

thanks again...
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have a wideband hooked up to the car. That's why I'm looking at the knock sums to try and get the car to a (maybe?) safer knock free level. I compared my fuel maps to others and it's somewhat conservative compared to some stage 1 - stage 2 maps. So without the wideband, hopefully my car is running at a good level, even though not to it's full potential. But yes, I do understand the importance of the wideband.

I took the advice and took off some timing in the areas where most of the knock sums were happening and it worked. Just need to take a few more degrees off, it seems. Can't seem to upload the xls file right now. I will most likely try to do the 3rd and 4th gear pulls this weekend and see if the updates worked out.

thanks again...
You have a $30k car spend the $300-$400 and buy yourself a wideband or don't and spend 5-$6k on an engine rebuild.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your reporting knocking at mid throttle or daily driving, if you ask me, I would say something loose or noisy
Old Dec 14, 2006, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

thanks again...
Of course it is going to work I wil go out on a limb and say that your Dynoflash tune is consistent with other Dynoflash tunes that we have seen. The signature 888888888 is unmistakeable.

I urge you to get a wideband and to log your AFR. In the meantime, do a 3rd gear WOT log from 2500-7500 rpm and post it. Log the narrowband O2 sensor it will help tell us where your AFR is even though it is not really accurate. But it is better than nothing.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
If your reporting knocking at mid throttle or daily driving, if you ask me, I would say something loose or noisy
He already TOLD US that it was real knock and he took timing out and the knock subsided. Did you read his post at all????
Old Dec 14, 2006, 04:28 PM
Account Disabled

You have a little bit of tip in part throttle knock. You can try to tune it out by taking timing out or add better fuel.

You also have a few occasions os 5000rpm knock. You'll need to take a few degrees out here. It will probalby show up at 5500 or 6000 rpm so take out more timing. OR add better fuel.

Basically it looks like stock evo maps on winter fuel. Timing is a little to agressive. You can't touch the fuel maps until you get a wideband. You'll be able to lean it out then. I'll be much smoother and faster but probably feel slower. You my have to take 1-2 degrees out at boost onset then. Also if you lower you boost that should take out the tip in knock.

Quick Reply: Knock Issues(?)... what do you think is up?