Notices
ECU Flash

My logs using the Innovate Motorsports LC-1, LMA-3, OBD-II cable, & LogWorks2

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there any way to have the load calculate properly....i dont think 160 with 23lbs of boost is correct....and evo scan gives me all the way up to 270...
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan678
Is there any way to have the load calculate properly....i dont think 160 with 23lbs of boost is correct....and evo scan gives me all the way up to 270...
It sounds like you are talking about 'load' from the AFR tables. That is different from 'load' in the traditional sense. Just put the appropriate calculation in the trace calculator. I'm sorry, I don't know what that would be off the top of my head for an Evo ECU fuel map, but I can look into it tomorrow. I seem to recall NJ1266 having some "AFLoad" computed traces in his logs as well.

If you mean 'power', the key is to use the right computation and just on the WOT portion of the pull (highlight). If it is RPM based, you'll also want to smooth, since slope will be confused by the more jagged ECU trace.

-jjf
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

I made the RPM line smooth...and here are some logs with boost and AFRs together...just got my link cable in the mail today...

The reason for the delay in boost is because i started this 3rd gear pull at 2k rpms....a bit to low...i know...i will try to get some better ones as soon as i get the proper load cell calculations...

Last edited by alan678; Jan 30, 2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon
it looks pretty healthy to me, I found that by fattening the afr up towards redline i was able to run more timing...this took me from 121mph to 125mph traps on my Stealth. I'll try the same principle with my EVO once I get the WB02 setup.
I noticed my car runs quicker like that too - more timing and fuel up top and less timing and fuel at peak - it looses a little of the "kick in the pants feel" but feels like it pulls all the way up. Logs confirm it's much faster as well.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
160 is the maximum output value for load that you will see on a stock ECU, Its actually higher internally to the ECU, but the MUT logger clips the 1C (ECU Load) value. You have to use a load calculation, If you have external logging to the ECU, I think there's a calculation that works well, if not, theres a LoadCalc that you can use mut values (IPW, RPM, AFRMap and Injector Size, Voltage Latency @14v) to give you a rough value (its off by about 10%, but close enough to tune with)
Old Jan 31, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

jfitzpat...with what malibujack said, is there anyway to incorporate this into the actual "protocols.xml" file so that it automatically computes the "actual" load cell the ecu is in?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, there is. You have to log airflow and rpm. Then you have to apply the following formula in the formula calculator. I am assuming that your airflow does not exceed 1603 hz

MC(LoadAF;load;0;260) = AirFlow/RPM*852

You will get a trace on your log called "LoadAF" Save the formula for later use.

I have all my formulas saved in a Word document file since you will lose them when you download a newer version of logworks.

Last edited by nj1266; Jan 31, 2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

No, protocols.xml does not support computational channels. But as nj1266 mentions, you can create computational channels based on your logged data. Using default names from the plug-in, I think his formula would be:

MC(LoadAF;load;0;260) = Air_Flow/RPM*852

So, you open your log, pick Tools\Formula Calculator, and paste in the formula above. You'll get a new channel from calculated data. This channel can then be used in charts, XY plots, 3D graphs, etc. One advantage to doing the calculations post logging is that you can see the quality of the data traces going in. You might want to experiment with smoothing the RPM and Air_Flow channels and then doing a load trace.

However, real time calculated channels can be nice for dashboard type displays. Unfortunately, LW-2 does not support real time math channels, but LW-3 will (shift light, load, whatever).

I will try to hunt down the more comprehensive calculation that MJ mentioned. If I can find the calculation, I'm pretty certain that the same steps could be used - log the channels required for the computation, calculate the channel for analysis.

-jjf
Old Mar 1, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

about load calculation in logworks2 i believe the correct calculation is MC(LoadAF;load;0;260) = Air_Flow/Engine_speed*852 if you are using the default names from the ecu channels. this works for me, but the load calculations seem a bit high. can someone confirm this is correct? thanks!

cj
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iTune
about load calculation in logworks2 i believe the correct calculation is MC(LoadAF;load;0;260) = Air_Flow/Engine_speed*852 if you are using the default names from the ecu channels. this works for me, but the load calculations seem a bit high. can someone confirm this is correct? thanks!

cj
I did a post on implementing the EvoScan and Mitsulogger Load calculations here:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/f...&postcount=110

I hope that helps.

-jjf
Old Mar 2, 2007, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jfitzpat
I did a post on implementing the EvoScan and Mitsulogger Load calculations here:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/f...&postcount=110

I hope that helps.

-jjf
Well, i'm a bit confused now. Does the load calcs used in this thread work? I don't know which ones are going to be accurate.

CJ
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Well, i'm a bit confused now. Does the load calcs used in this thread work? I don't know which ones are going to be accurate.

CJ
All the calculations work. The first one is crudest, and is found used in loggers like ecuEdit. The 2nd and 3rd ones are a bit more accurate, and allow some constants to be fudged for mods. One is used in Mistulogger, the other, which tries to use battery voltage to predict injector latency, is in EvoScan.

LogWorks doesn't care which calculation you use. The first one is probably good enough for tuning with a stock or near stock VE. The 2nd and 3rd ones (Mitsulogger and Evoscan) are (I think) good enough for tuning with mods.

The most precise way is to mod the ECU code and pull the actual internal value used for load via MUT. There are numerous threads on that, and the LogWorks plug in supports that too.

The core problem is that, by default, MUT does not report loads over 160. So you either need to estimate, or hack. Again, LogWorks doesn't care which of the estimation methods or hacks you use.

-jjf
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jfitzpat
All the calculations work. The first one is crudest, and is found used in loggers like ecuEdit. The 2nd and 3rd ones are a bit more accurate, and allow some constants to be fudged for mods. One is used in Mistulogger, the other, which tries to use battery voltage to predict injector latency, is in EvoScan.

LogWorks doesn't care which calculation you use. The first one is probably good enough for tuning with a stock or near stock VE. The 2nd and 3rd ones (Mitsulogger and Evoscan) are (I think) good enough for tuning with mods.

The most precise way is to mod the ECU code and pull the actual internal value used for load via MUT. There are numerous threads on that, and the LogWorks plug in supports that too.

The core problem is that, by default, MUT does not report loads over 160. So you either need to estimate, or hack. Again, LogWorks doesn't care which of the estimation methods or hacks you use.

-jjf
awesome....any clue on when logworks3 will be available? is there a beta version available now? i could really use the map trace function!!! Thanks for your help!

CJ
Old Mar 2, 2007, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

awesome....any clue on when logworks3 will be available? is there a beta version available now? i could really use the map trace function!!! Thanks for your help!

CJ
LW-2 does live charting (including 3D) now. LW-3 is in closed alpha at the moment.

-jjf
Old Mar 2, 2007, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
how accurate is the innovate lma-3 and can you hook up the xd-16 gauge to read boost like you can with the lc-1 wideband and gauge. ???

i have the lc-1 and xd-16. i want to put the boost one next to it.

Last edited by EvoDan2004; Mar 2, 2007 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: My logs using the Innovate Motorsports LC-1, LMA-3, OBD-II cable, & LogWorks2