Notices
ECU Flash

Want to remove/disable your rear O2 sensor without a CEL? Here's how..

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 12:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by merkzu
I'll try it after work. It would just be disabling the checks, not shutting off the heater correct?
Yes, it just disables the check. Can you pull the resistors after you change the Periphery value?
Old May 6, 2008, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea I was planning to
Old May 6, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dexmix
I'll try this either tonight or tomorrow. I didn't realize scan-tech can check readiness codes? what tab is that on?
Monitor status.
Old May 6, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
I've been trying to get at this heater check routine from a few different angles. Today, I think I found the periphery bit that controls the O2 heater check. It appears to be periphery2, bit 11. Not sure what effect it will have on the OBD-II test readiness state. Here's what to do:

Change Periphery2 from EFDF to E7DF

If I am interpretting the ROM code correctly, there is no way to disable just the rear O2 heater. This will disable both the front and rear O2 heater checks, so beware of that limitation. If someone could try this and report back to me, I would appreciate it. Also, could you use ScanTech to observe the "Readiness" condition for the heater check?
I took a little break from work. Changed Periphery2 to E7DF and went for a drive. Didn't get a CEL. That's what I care about, so it seems to be working? I'm going to leave my resistor disconnected

Here's scantech:

This is my xml for periphery2 on 88590015, just to make sure its correct..
<table name="ECU Periphery2" category="Misc" address="fca" type="1D" level="1" scaling="Hex16"/>
Old May 6, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

I took a little break from work. Changed Periphery2 to E7DF and went for a drive. Didn't get a CEL. That's what I care about, so it seems to be working? I'm going to leave my resistor disconnected

Here's scantech:

<table name="ECU Periphery2" category="Misc" address="fca" type="1D" level="1" scaling="Hex16"/>
bummer... looks like the ready tests will not complete? sometimes it takes a while of driving around for them to complete. I'll try this out.

edit: shouldn't your address=0xFFFF6BB8 ??? or am i misunderstanding that the periphery bits get written to the chunk starting at FFFF6BB2

Last edited by EvoBroMA; May 6, 2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old May 6, 2008, 02:22 PM
EvoM Guru

...sometimes it takes a while of driving around for them to complete. I'll try this out.

edit: shouldn't your address=0xFFFF6BB8 ??? or am i misunderstanding that the periphery bits get written to the chunk starting at FFFF6BB2
It could be the "drive it around" thing, but probably not. I think I can fix the readiness issue too. Just need more time to study things.

Yes, FFFF6BB8 is the RAM address where it is held when the car is running. But the value is read from FCA when the car is started, so FCA is the one to change.
Old May 6, 2008, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

It could be the "drive it around" thing, but probably not. I think I can fix the readiness issue too. Just need more time to study things.

Yes, FFFF6BB8 is the RAM address where it is held when the car is running. But the value is read from FCA when the car is started, so FCA is the one to change.
my bad. the FFFF should have given away that its a RAM address.
Old May 6, 2008, 06:01 PM
EvoM Guru

my bad. the FFFF should have given away that its a RAM address.
For punishment, you need to learn the entire sh2 language so you don't make another mistake. ;-)
Old May 6, 2008, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For punishment, you need to learn the entire sh2 language so you don't make another mistake. ;-)
No one should be subjected to such cruel punishment,lol.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

thats a great idea! it can't be too much different than all the other processors i know... that way i can have the evo community pestering me for ECU hacks!!!

Old May 9, 2008, 08:33 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's scantech:

I tried this last night on an a friend's IX, worked perfect. Good work mrfred!
Old May 9, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
I tried this last night on an a friend's IX, worked perfect. Good work mrfred!
it works to get rid of the trouble code, but the readyness tests never complete. (which matters for emissions testing)

mrfred is still working on mapping all the periphery bits, but he said he will work on the readiness codes soon.
Old May 9, 2008, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

I'm just happy as hell to have the CEL gone without any extra hardware, no emissions to go through here Thanks again mrfred
Old May 12, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

I've been trying to get at this heater check routine from a few different angles. Today, I think I found the periphery bit that controls the O2 heater check. It appears to be periphery2, bit 11. Not sure what effect it will have on the OBD-II test readiness state. Here's what to do:

Change Periphery2 from EFDF to E7DF

If I am interpretting the ROM code correctly, there is no way to disable just the rear O2 heater. This will disable both the front and rear O2 heater checks, so beware of that limitation. If someone could try this and report back to me, I would appreciate it. Also, could you use ScanTech to observe the "Readiness" condition for the heater check?
Seems like Periphery2 for ROM ID 96940011 reads the same stock value as above (EFDF) I changed mine to the updated value (E7DF) and will report back later on today...

I have noticed that usually different ROM IDs carry different values for things such as 2 byte load, 2 byte RPM, etc....should I be worried that this code above was for ROM ID 88590015 or are the Periphery codes universal for the USDM Evos?

BTW...I am also using the Rear o2 sim patch for my ROM ID found in this link... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=333820

Last edited by alan678; May 12, 2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old May 12, 2008, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan678
Seems like Periphery2 for ROM ID 96940011 reads the same stock value as above (EFDF) I changed mine to the updated value (E7DF) and will report back later on today...

I have noticed that usually different ROM IDs carry different values for things such as 2 byte load, 2 byte RPM, etc....should I be worried that this code above was for ROM ID 88590015 or are the Periphery codes universal for the USDM Evos?

BTW...I am also using the Rear o2 sim patch for my ROM ID found in this link... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=333820
I tried this with my 96940011 rom and I'm still getting a CEL. Unfortunately I can't get scantech to work on this laptop for some reason (probably 'cause of vista), so I could have another code being thrown now, but last time I checked I didn't have any other codes.

So let me know if it works for you, I really want this to work!

Quick Reply: Want to remove/disable your rear O2 sensor without a CEL? Here's how..