Notices
ECU Flash

beginner tuner:

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beginner tuner:

whats up fellow tuners. im new to the tuning on an evo. ive tuned many other cars and flashed some ecu's before but the evo is pretty new to me. ive tuned it with an afc but thats long gone. im using ecuflash and evoscan. heard this is one of the best combos to use for tuning. im gonna be tuning my car this weekend most likely and i might have a few questions for you guys and hope you can help me out. ive browsed alot of the threads in here and some of you guys seem like you really know what youre doing so thats why i went with ecuflash. i almost used ecutek at first but after reading threads i decided on this. my mods are listed below in my sig. i do have one question for you guys though. what kind of boost can i run daily on pump gas 93 oct. with the fp green turbo?? i figured around 24-25psi. also one more thing. can you have multiple maps with using ecuflash or do you have to run one map only because i was wanting to have a pump map and a race map with higher boost. thanks for all your help and glad to be a fellow ecuflash user/tuner now.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my car liked 25-26psi with the evogreen but I also had good supporting mods, fmic, ported exhaust, ported 02 housing, no cat etc...

I would make two separate maps, do your pump gas map first and save that. Then build from that pump gas tune to make a separate race gas tune.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since you have an 05, you'll have to wire up a separate switch to manually change maps. Tephra has built map switching code and a new version with boost control should be out soon. It is possible ... it just takes some work.

24-25 psi is doable on 93 octane. thats about what I run on my stock turbo. I generally take it easy on my car though, so i only see that boost a couple of times a week unless I'm at the track or auto-x. Just monitor your AFRs and knock and you should be fine.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

thanks chris. the only real supporting mods im missing are meth injection and a new fmic. im dropping in jun 272's with jun springs, type2 retainers, ble lifters, and new stem seals and seat locators. gonna use my ferrea 1mm over ss intake valves and the 1mm over inconel exhaust valves. waiting on some manganese bronze valve guides to get here so i can finish the head all up. thatll give me some pretty good power over what ive got now. i went completely back to stock, sold everything i had and ive started over.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:19 PM
Account Disabled

sounds nice, I have some regrets as well,

just sold the BR deluxe fmic, great for stock and 20g turbo but likely holding me back on the 35R, got a BR race fmic on the way.

hks 280's great daily driver cam, wish had had something like the jun now though so I'll address that later.

was going to do meth, now going to do race gas, regret the smallish 880's, need 1000cc + double pumper now. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the path.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

sounds good. i was running hks 272s before but the jun bring better power. ive gotta scale my injectors when i tune also. what do i put in, i know it says to enter 15-20% less than the injector is labeled for. example 560s youd enter like 510 or so. im using 780cc injectors. im gonna be running on stock regulator as well. ive got a walbro 255.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:29 PM
Account Disabled

that rule of thumb is okay to get it started but you also have to fill in the injector latencies and those are specific to the brand and published as long as you don't get some crazy brand. there's a thread on here that explains the process but basically let the mid fuel trim be your guide and adjust the scale until you get it where you want it. Just don't get too hung up if it doesn't stick perfectly dead on..that's normal for it to wander around a bit
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:30 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ya I run 24 on the stock turbo, so you all good man, shoot if i was you I would run it up to 26-27.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i know about the latencies. you dont know what they would be for precision 780cc injectors do you??
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:47 PM
Account Disabled

of course I do

I'm helpful to a point, I'm sure you understand.

I can give pointers but not values
Old Feb 24, 2008, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

well what do i have to do to get those values out of you?? haha
Old Feb 24, 2008, 08:01 AM
Account Disabled

that's reserved for paying customers www.mellontuning.com
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

haha. well how much do i have to pay you for just the latencies on the injectors.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

search this forum. there were plenty of posted latency values. It also depends on your set up.
get the ball park figures from the posts and experiment with your car. there is no one exact value that works for all evo engine setup. Any delphi style injector latency values will work fine to start up and fine tune your car.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

ok thanks.