Notices
ECU Flash

DV flutter = knock?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I've just noticed that in the last few days, I hear a very faint fluttering sound from the engine compartment, and the engine feels like it has a very slight stutter. Seems to happen in the lower gears, mainly as I roll through 3000 rpm when I'm just getting started in the morning. I'm usually pretty light on the throttle in the morning, so the intake manifold was probably under vacuum conditions. It doesn't happen in 4th thru 6th. At first I thought it was just a cold misfire from crappy OEM plug wires, but now I'm wondering if its DV flutter. Is that what it feels like?

Kinda confused though because I always heard that the stock Evo MR DV was very good and didn't need to be replaced.
Yes, this is what im mainly talking about.

Since posting this thread ive tried to notice when i happens... and its really only thre when the motor is cold. It only happens in 2nd, 3rd, and slightly in 4th if im getting on the on ramp. Im also very light on the car when i first start her up after being cold. Ive seen oil pressures at cold starts around 80psi, so i really try not to flog the car unless the oil has heated up and starts moving around the engine.

And Bryan, Im not knocking all over and its not really pulling 1° across the board. I was mainly exagerating for emphasis. In 3rd from 4K to 6K there is not much time for the timing to jump back up.
And, yes im going insane...lol ... ive noticed the knock light coming on when going WOT and catching air for a second...

p.s. i pulled the DV last night, adn it was just slightly dirty from a bit of crankcase oil. cleaned it off, didnt really help.