Notices

The definitive EcuFlash Evo 10 thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2008, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So there is no way to change the "target value"? How would a simulated O2 NB from a WB allow you to run leaner? Wouldn't the ECU try to fight it again and target 14.7?
Old Dec 25, 2008, 09:51 AM
NMX

Originally Posted by xbox4414
So there is no way to change the "target value"? How would a simulated O2 NB from a WB allow you to run leaner? Wouldn't the ECU try to fight it again and target 14.7?
The simulated o2 would actually report 14.7 when the "true" afr is leaner (for example, 15.2). The whole point of the simulated o2 is to trick the ecu into thinking it has achieved 14.7. It would be awesome if we could change the "target value" in the ecu code, but it doesn't sound like it's an easy thing to do.

BTW, thanks for the very helpful writeup!
Old Dec 25, 2008, 09:52 AM

A simulated NB o2 output on something like an innovate wideband is programmable. So you can change the voltage switch point to a different AFR. So it tricks the ecu. It will only work on Widebands with programmable outputs.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 10:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
The signal produced by an NB O2 sensor ranges between 0 V (leaner than stoich) and 1 V (richer than stoich). The signal is pretty much a step function, so for any AFR leaner than 14.7:1, the sensor output voltage is very close to 0 V, and for any AFR richer than 14.7:1, the sensor output is very close to 1 V. We say that the voltage crosses over at 14.7:1. The algorithm to control closed loop is very simple. Any voltage less than 0.5 V is considered to be leaner than stoich and anything higher is considered to be richer than stoich.

All the WB O2 sensor systems I've seen have a programmable simulated NB O2 signal output. The simulated crossover point programmable. The user can set it crossover at whatever value they want, e.g., 15.2:1. All the ECU knows is that the crossover point is the set point, so it will adjust the fuel trims to meet that point, and the car will run at 15.2:1.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gunzo
OK .. I'll work on it .. merry christmas guys ..

I'll start after new year
If I manage to solve it .. please give thanks to MJ and MrFred
Good luck, and thanks!
Old Dec 25, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
The signal produced by an NB O2 sensor ranges between 0 V (leaner than stoich) and 1 V (richer than stoich). The signal is pretty much a step function, so for any AFR leaner than 14.7:1, the sensor output voltage is very close to 0 V, and for any AFR richer than 14.7:1, the sensor output is very close to 1 V. We say that the voltage crosses over at 14.7:1. The algorithm to control closed loop is very simple. Any voltage less than 0.5 V is considered to be leaner than stoich and anything higher is considered to be richer than stoich.

All the WB O2 sensor systems I've seen have a programmable simulated NB O2 signal output. The simulated crossover point programmable. The user can set it crossover at whatever value they want, e.g., 15.2:1. All the ECU knows is that the crossover point is the set point, so it will adjust the fuel trims to meet that point, and the car will run at 15.2:1.
Thanks for the info! You have been really helpful. So you say the support for this is a year or so away? What does it take to actually do this? I already have an AEM UEGO installed... Nut once again thanks for the help dude.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the info! You have been really helpful. So you say the support for this is a year or so away? What does it take to actually do this? I already have an AEM UEGO installed... Nut once again thanks for the help dude.
An AEM UEGO gauge type wideband can't do this I used to have one. The NB output is not configurable.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by otbEVO
I wouldn't mind eliminating that secondary o2 sensor CEL either... this will allow the running of testpipes without throwing the CEL, which would be great... to answer your question.
Yeah this would be really helpful!
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

And will live tuning be feasible in the future? I know maybe not when released but maybe a year or so away, but still feasible? As I'm sure it's annoying to flash multiple times. To only re tune and adjust maps.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

I know AP has the ability on certain cars. Not sure of the X's ECU's capabilities. The 8 and 9 can live tune right?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I know AP has the ability on certain cars. Not sure of the X's ECU's capabilities. The 8 and 9 can live tune right?
My understanding is with the evo X ecu , when you actually can flash it, will have more room for tune.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

We'll have room for tune? Huh?!? Yes we know we can tune the Evo X and Bryan says he has never found evidence of a flash counter. But flashing and then dynoing and then readjusting and then waiting to flash again is annoying. I hope we can tune on the fly and not have to wait to enter, flash and leave programing mode.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
We'll have room for tune? Huh?!? Yes we know we can tune the Evo X and Bryan says he has never found evidence of a flash counter. But flashing and then dynoing and then readjusting and then waiting to flash again is annoying. I hope we can tune on the fly and not have to wait to enter, flash and leave programing mode.
I will preface this by saying I am not discounting any solution with this comment...

I personally have not found a huge advantage with "real-time" tuning. It takes the same amount of time to tune a real-time solution as it does a "flash and run" solution. It might be how I work.

I do a couple pulls, look over the data while the car is running, tweak the maps, then flash the car and start it up again. Flashing on the 8-9 takes 5-10secs tops. Currently flashing on the 10 takes maybe double that.

The only real-time benefit *I* have seen with *my* way of tuning is when needing to tune a trouble area at cruise or a transitional area with a pretty robust modified setup. I can sit there on the mustang dyno and hold it at that specific RPM, boost level and load % and change the map in real-time. Of the hundreds and hundreds of Evos I have tuned, that has maybe been 5%-10% of them.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Great info man
Old Dec 28, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

So Im just going to throw it out there again......Hows it looking for flashing the X for a welcome to 2009 present???

Maybe a status update?

I donno what I can offer for help, but if there is any help needed Im willing!

Quick Reply: The definitive EcuFlash Evo 10 thread