Notices
ECU Flash

96530706 + DMA +LiveMap + SD - working

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
96530706 + DMA +LiveMap + SD - working

OK, finally just ironed out a couple mistakes on my part and flashed my car with 96530706 with DMA, live mapping, and SD. It fired right up and I took it for a quick cruise and everything seems to be fine. I did some brief boosting and things seemed to be good as well...the AFR seemed to want to stay leaner a little too long, but I haven't tuned anything yet (may just need some asynch vs tps delta addition).

Just wanted to report that it all seems to be working well. I have moved the SD maps (MAP VE and RPM VE) to RAM and everything was running fine fom RAM. John's latest LiveMap app allows live tuning of these tables, so tuning SD should be a breeze.

I'll reserve the next post for instructions and XML code to add to your TephraMOD-96530706-v7t6.xml to setup the RAM maps, etc.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jul 20, 2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

1. Obtain the 96530706 v7t6 ROM from Tephra and donate to him.
Note: If you had already downloaded 96530705 v7t5, delete that and the Tephramod XML for it (or rename the ROM ID in the ROM and the XML files for it). The reason for this is that both ROMs are labeled as 96530706, but some of the tables were moved around and if try to use ECUFlash to work with v7t6 and you already have v7t5 and it's XML, you will start getting some weird table readings from the different inherited XML files.

2. Follow logic's instructions on how to patch DMA to this ROM.

Add one more table to your XML for DMA that will be helpful. This table shows the complete alt map space, which is the block of ROM that John copies to RAM for the DMA and live mapping. This is the place in the ROM where the Tephra alt maps reside as well as the place where we will have to copy any maps that we want to run from RAM and live tune. Also, you can setup a custom MUT table in RAM in this space and set the location in John's LiveMap app to log from that RAM MUT table.

Code:
	<table name="Alt maps space" category="DMA Logging/Mapping" address="37b00" type="3D" level="1" scaling="Hex16">
		<table name="X" type="Static X Axis" elements="32"/>
		<table name="Y" type="Static Y Axis" elements="32">
			<data>0</data>
			<data>40</data>
			<data>80</data>
			<data>c0</data>
			<data>100</data>
			<data>140</data>
			<data>180</data>
			<data>1c0</data>
			<data>200</data>
			<data>240</data>
			<data>280</data>
			<data>2c0</data>
			<data>300</data>
			<data>340</data>
			<data>380</data>
			<data>3c0</data>
			<data>400</data>
			<data>440</data>
			<data>480</data>
			<data>4c0</data>
			<data>500</data>
			<data>540</data>
			<data>580</data>
			<data>5c0</data>
			<data>600</data>
			<data>640</data>
			<data>680</data>
			<data>6c0</data>
			<data>700</data>
			<data>740</data>
			<data>780</data>
			<data>7c0</data>
		</table>
	</table>
3. Follow mrfred's insructions on how to patch SD to this ROM. Read the first two posts.

4. Follow these instructions to add the SD maps to RAM:

First, add these XML defs to your TephraMod-96530706-v7t6.xml:

Code:
	<table name="RAM SD MAP VE" category="Speed Density Tuning" address="382c8" type="2D" level="1" scaling="MAP VE load">
		<table name="MAP" address="382b0" type="Y Axis" elements="8" scaling="MAP 16bit"/>
	</table>

<table name="RAM SD RPM VE" category="Speed Density Tuning" address="382de" type="2D" level="1" scaling="Percent (128)">
		<table name="RPM" address="65f6" type="Y Axis" elements="17" scaling="RPM"/>
	</table>

<table name="SD MAP kPa pointer - ROM to RAM" category="DMA Logging/Mapping" address="114c4" type="2D" scaling="Hex16">
		<table name="ROM pointer-change to RAM loc to enable live mapping" type="Static X Axis" elements="2">
			<data>0000</data>
			<data>32BC</data>
		</table>
	</table>	

<table name="SD MAP VE pointer - ROM to RAM" category="DMA Logging/Mapping" address="114bc" type="2D" scaling="Hex16">
		<table name="ROM pointer-change to RAM loc to enable live mapping" type="Static X Axis" elements="2">
			<data>0000</data>
			<data>32E0</data>
		</table>
	</table>

<table name="SD RPM VE pointer - ROM to RAM" category="DMA Logging/Mapping" address="7cfc" type="2D" scaling="Hex16">
			<data>0000</data>
			<data>3376</data>
		</table>
	</table>
The RAM SD MAP VE and the RAM SD RPM VE are just copies of your SD tables from mrfred's patch in step #3. Just make these RAM maps identical to your ROM maps. I categorized them the same, so they should show up under the same category in ECUFlash.

For the pointer maps, change the values to what is shown below. Note that I have added the default values of the maps to the definition, so that you can easily change back:

In case the pictures can't be read:
FFFF A7A6
FFFF A7C0
FFFF A7D8

Now, open up the 'alt maps space' that is included in the definition that I posted in step #2. We need to add the table headers to the RAM SD maps that you just copied above. Copy the headers as I have them shown below (they must be copied to the exact location, since we are defining them in the pointers above):

In case they can't be read:
MAP VE - load header: FFFF 886C FFFF 990A
MAP VE - kPa header: 0002 0000 FFFF 886C
RPM VE header: 0200 FFFF 886C

5. Setup a RAM MUT table. This step is optional, but highly recommended, as you can customize the items that you want to log and setup the LiveMap app to log only these items.

Notice in the last screenshot above, that I have shown the location of my RAM MUT table. I start at 0xA740 in the table. All you have to do is start adding the variables that you want to log. For example, the first entry in my table is FFFF 840B, which is 1-byte load for this ROM. Next is FFFF 8BD9, which is timing. I will show you how I have mine setup in the next step, where I will show a screenshot of how I have my LiveMap app configured for logging. You can change these to whatever you like to log and setup the LiveMap app to log those with the correct
equations.

6. Download (updated 7/23/09) the latest version of LiveMap with configured XML files. For reference sake, I have included the main settings below, but this should already be configured for you.

Data tab
Main table is for logging your MUT table. This can be either your default MUT table in your ROM or a custom MUT table you create in RAM, which I just explained in step #5 above. Here is how my LiveMap app is configured based on that MUT table above:

Just go down the list based on the entires in your MUT table and add the name, unit, and equation to correctly log.

Rom address - this is the address of the alt maps space
Set this to 00 03 7b 00

Ram address - this is the address for the start of the RAM block where the alt maps space is copied
Set this to FF FF a0 00

Bytes to copy - This is the size of the alt maps space
Set this to - - 08 00

Logging address - This is the address to log for your MUT table
Set this to FF FF A7 40 (for custom MUT table as I have shown in step #5)
Set this to 00 03 62 00 (for default MUT table in ROM)

Setting tab - This is where you configure the location of your RAM map data. Set it to the screenshot below and click 'Save to XML'.

If the screenshot can't be read, the values are as follows:

Ram fuel
Set this to a0 4d

Ram ignition
Set this to a1 8d

RAM RPM VE
Set this to a7 de

RAM MAP kPa
Set this to a7 b0

RAM MAP VE
Set this to a7 c8

RAM Inj size
Set this to a0 40

Note: On the VE/Inj tab there is a little text box to enter your map sensor scaling for the sensor you are using. I have included some common examples for popular sensors. If you will be reading/writing the SD maps to RAM with live tuning, change this to the correct value for your sensor. For example, the OMNI 4-bar should be set to 0.4045. All of the correct settings can be determined from your MAP 16bit scaling as shown in mrfred's post in step #3. (For now, I don't think the sensors with a complex equation will work for this box...it can easily be coded, but it isn't in it's present state.)

Also, there the graphing page has hard coded values. Perhaps in the future, someone (maybe me if I can learn VB better) can setup this page to handle the chart and text boxes to show the data for whatever you want to log.

Keep in mind, though, that your logs still log whatever you have set on that data tab. It's just the chart tab that is currently hard coded.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails 96530706 + DMA +LiveMap + SD - working-sd-map-pointers.jpg   96530706 + DMA +LiveMap + SD - working-partial-alt-maps-space.jpg   96530706 + DMA +LiveMap + SD - working-livemap1.jpg   96530706 + DMA +LiveMap + SD - working-livemap2.jpg  

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jul 23, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 07:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
nice

I really want to get V7 out this week sometime.. been busy
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting... I have been toying with the idea of switching to SD lately, i have the 0006 rom ready to go just haven't had the time to fiddle with it... I still need to read up quite a bit as I am not too familiar with the whole SD thing yet...
Old Jul 21, 2009, 01:25 AM

Nice result, I'll be moving to this ROM once I have a few more miles on my engine and the base map a little closer to where it needs to be.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you have a brand new ECU
Old Jul 21, 2009, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sweet, glad to hear live-mapping is working for at least one other person.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think we still need a consolidated how to on tuning SD. The info seems a bit scattered around. Great to see more support on this though
Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

OK, I have upated post #2 with the instructions. It may seem like a lot at first and a bit daunting, but feel free to ask questions. It's really not that bad.

Eric
Old Jul 21, 2009, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by logic
Sweet, glad to hear live-mapping is working for at least one other person.
I had it working for a while until I stuffed my car... :P
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jcsbanks
Sounds like you have a brand new ECU
Absolutely! Again, can't thank you enough for all of your work on this stuff...as well as mrfred, tephra, logic, and others.

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I think we still need a consolidated how to on tuning SD. The info seems a bit scattered around. Great to see more support on this though
Once I am done tuning, I wouldn't mind adding a quick tuning guide to this thread or maybe even a new thread.

Quick and dirty steps, though:

1. Have your boost sensor and MAT sensor installed and loggable. Do some logs with your MAF still active. Do a lot of cruising, trying to hit as many cells as possible, with a lot of data points per cell (the longer the log the better). Also, do a few pulls so that you can reference the load and AFR that you are hitting with your MAF still in place and controlling things. Then plot a 3-D chart of mapvsRPM, with VE as the data. For VE, use the formula: VE=100* Load/(MAP*(298/(273+MAT))). Make sure you are logging baro+temp compensated load.

2. Use the above data to set your intial MAP VE and RPM VE tables.

3. Apply the SD patch and log. See how your trims look now compared to before. Basically, what you are shooting for is to make your load match to whatever it was before the SD patch. If you idled at 30 load, you should now idle at 30 load with SD. If your third gear pull was 300 load peak, tapering to 240 load, with a flat AFR of 11.5, then that is what it should be with SD as well. The idea is to have identical loads between the two. If the loads are different, then you tweak the MAP VE or RPM VE tables until they match as well as possible. Any fine tuning for idle and cruise can be verified with the fuel trims.

That's it. You're done. Now, take off that MAF, install a nice big intake pipe and filter and tune for more power.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jul 21, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
That's it. You're done. Now, take off that MAF, install a nice big intake pipe and filter and tune for more power.

Eric
This I have a question on. Initially you need the MAF in order to get usual load values your car reaches. If you take of the MAF then later add some cams maybe, would you have to put the MAF back on and tune on the MAF then switch to SD again?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:51 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roger smith
This I have a question on. Initially you need the MAF in order to get usual load values your car reaches. If you take of the MAF then later add some cams maybe, would you have to put the MAF back on and tune on the MAF then switch to SD again?
any change in the airstream should/will affect the VE.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by roger smith
No. You only need to do it one time to setup SD to mimic the loads for your MAF based system.

After that, when you mod further, you just compare your loads/VE from before/after the mods. For example, new cams will increase your VE, so you should see leaner AFR values with your new cams on SD. Just adjust the VE tables until you reach your old values in your before log.

In essence, this way, you can see how much your VE increased due to your new mods and whether they are working. If you ever put in a mod and your VE goes down, then that isn't a good mod.

Eric

Quick Reply: 96530706 + DMA +LiveMap + SD - working