Notices
ECU Flash

Question about Bosch 1000cc Injectors

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I actually have a legit VII, imported from the UK (I think at least). It is pretty damned similar to an VIII except for the AYC and ACD.

Dan
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rawkus
As far as latency, none of the values on the injector sheet match the voltages that the Evo requires entered into the ECU.

What I(we) did was create an Excel Spreadsheet that took the existing values and estimated the values the ECU needs.
Dan
Interesting.

Do the latency values in the ECU actually reflect true values or are the scaling just something somebody came up with that roughly approximates what they think the values were?

Also, isn't there more then one latency values that are always used? Base Latency along with Battery Latency?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Interesting.

Do the latency values in the ECU actually reflect true values or are the scaling just something somebody came up with that roughly approximates what they think the values were?
I hadn't thought of that, I hope beyond hope they are legit values...

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Also, isn't there more then one latency values that are always used? Base Latency along with Battery Latency?
I don't know enough about injectors, but I seem to recall what you are talking about. With the information sheet given to me by Injector Dynamics, only one set of values is listed, based on different fuel pressures.

Dan
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
I hadn't thought of that, I hope beyond hope they are legit values...

Dan
The latencies used in ECUFlash are derived from the ROM code and time slices used by the code. They seem to be pretty close to reality.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Now what does the High Trim tell me?

Dan
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:44 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by travman
Figured I will post my scaling & latency:

93octane Scaling: 886
E85 Scaling: 585
Impressive... I know the injectors are marked 1000cc under gasoline test conditions, but compare to other injectors at about 880cc (kerosene test fluid is industry standard). I'm surprised they scale out so large for you.

The difference in e85 scaling between my RC 1200cc injectors is only ~88% while figures for rated flow (using 1150 cc and 880cc) are closer to 76%.

Unfortunately my IDC is ~90% on my current injectors, so unless I bumped base fuel pressure up (which I would, it just adds another cost and complexity to the setup) I'll be a bit low on flow for my current setup.

Let me know if you want me to take this question elsewhere, but it is semi-on-topic: Does anyone know of a 50 or 55psi base fuel pressure regulator that fits our rail and flows well enough (and still fills all other requirements IE 1:1 etc)?

As far as latency, none of the values on the injector sheet match the voltages that the Evo requires entered into the ECU.

What I(we) did was create an Excel Spreadsheet that took the existing values and estimated the values the ECU needs.
Dan
Mind posting a copy of it for others to use? If nothing else it will get you a double check by the gurus....

Now what does the High Trim tell me?

Dan
Trims are bracketed by airflow hz. low -> mid ~50hz and mid -> high 1600hz

Last edited by fostytou; Aug 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fostytou
Let me know if you want me to take this question elsewhere, but it is semi-on-topic: Does anyone know of a 50 or 55psi base fuel pressure regulator that fits our rail and flows well enough (and still fills all other requirements IE 1:1 etc)?
Its called a hammer, vise, and 1/4 drive extension and 30 min, you could get the stock fpr to 50-55 base pressure. Yeah its not the best way......but it works
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:47 PM
Account Disabled

Travis the hammer and/or vice is a DSM trick. You don't have a DSM now do you?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Mind posting a copy of it for others to use? If nothing else it will get you a double check by the gurus....
No prob... you may notice that I did not use the exact latency numbers given out by the formula. I used it as a solid estimate and then added my own opinion before entering it into the ECU.

[*]Trims are bracketed by airflow hz. low -> mid ~50hz and mid -> high 1600hz
I figured that out for the most part. I was more interested in what changes High Trims tell me I should make if the numbers are out of wack.

Dan
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Latency Numbers.zip (1.4 KB, 0 views)
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Someone makes an adapter that allows generic fprs to hang off the fuel rail.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 03:03 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by travman
Its called a hammer, vise, and 1/4 drive extension and 30 min, you could get the stock fpr to 50-55 base pressure. Yeah its not the best way......but it works

Originally Posted by mrfred
Someone makes an adapter that allows generic fprs to hang off the fuel rail.
Oh, I'm all over the DSM crush-mod, I'd just prefer not to go on/off/on/off until I got it right Part of my on-the-end of the fuel rail thing was to prevent giant FPR that doesn't move with the engine syndrome (AKA my old DSM). I might wind up doing a crush mod just to see what happens there, but then I need a fuel pressure guage and a place to locate it and all of that other good stuff... and then I'm just tempted to buy a bunch more goodies .

No prob... you may notice that I did not use the exact latency numbers given out by the formula. I used it as a solid estimate and then added my own opinion before entering it into the ECU.

I figured that out for the most part. I was more interested in what changes High Trims tell me I should make if the numbers are out of wack.

Dan
Essentially you should never see the high trims adjust on most of the models. They are a relic. You cross out of closed loop ~100 load (depending on the car/table/RPM) which is almost always under 1600hz. It is near impossible to be under the load barrier and over the airflow barrier, especially for any significant enough amount of time to adjust the long term trims.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guesstimated the latencies based on the cheat sheet that came with the injectors (since the battery values don't match). And have done some very minor adjustments to those values since. Have had the scaling from 835 to 750, currently at 790.

my town cruise is really close, the highway aspect of cruise wants to subtract more fuel. right now I think my trims run from +1 & -1 to about +8 idle and -8 cruise, depending on the drive conditions.
Since I've not heard others express the same issue concerning low speed cruise and high speed cruise I may have some more tuning to do.

used Travman's latencies and had to up the scaling to 835. strange because it was an increase in latencies from before. However I introduced a variable into the picture. Removed one of those restrictions from my exhaust. I continue to be amazed how much exhaust restrictions play in fuel maps too.

Last edited by nothere; Aug 16, 2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:39 PM
Account Disabled

Dan
Use your high school math skills and build a function based off the given latency values that cross at nice whole decimal numbers. Use the function to find out where the line would cross in the ecu's hex brain. I had to add a bit of latency, which I added to the whole curve by percentage as that is how a coil works in practice. That is the second function that crosses the Y axis at a higher point.

Last edited by 0xDEAD; Aug 12, 2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

After spending an hour cruising around town my Trims...

Low: -2.449
Mid: 3.042
High: No changes

These both stayed pretty stable after some time.

Good enough? Or should I make changes? Thanks.

Dan

(PS No problems with hot starts)

Last edited by rawkus; Aug 12, 2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 08:53 PM
EvoM Guru

After spending an hour cruising around town my Trims...

Low: -2.449
Mid: 3.042
High: No changes

These both stayed pretty stable after some time.

Good enough? Or should I make changes? Thanks.

Dan

(PS No problems with hot starts)
Great, now what are the latency and scaling values that you're using in ECUFlash?

Quick Reply: Question about Bosch 1000cc Injectors