Notices
ECU Flash

Poor Cold Idle (Yes I searched)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Could be a simple boost leak. When was the last time you replaced your throttle body shaft seals. Def get that boost leak test done.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
TB seals were replaced a while ago.

Yeah, the boost leak test, and vacuum test, is in order. My wife hates when I turn on the air compressor...."it is so loud".

Off topic, but I've been playing with my fuel and timing and have boost starting to come on under 3k rpm in every gear. It's AWESOME.

On topic....cold starts are amazingly good now. Better than when the car was stock. It fires up almost instantly and holds idle great.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
TB seals were replaced a while ago.

Yeah, the boost leak test, and vacuum test, is in order. My wife hates when I turn on the air compressor...."it is so loud".

Mine is loud too, I also dred using it lol

Off topic, but I've been playing with my fuel and timing and have boost starting to come on under 3k rpm in every gear. It's AWESOME.

Your car sux lol

On topic....cold starts are amazingly good now. Better than when the car was stock. It fires up almost instantly and holds idle great.

ISCV steps FTW

Gonna throw my car on the dyno this weekend ...might do a boost leak test lol might not.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah....I made some adjustments there too. Seems my car does not like the low stock values. I raised them quite a bit in the last 2 warmest rows. She idles and purrs like a kitten now.

Who said they couldn't get Revolver cams to idle and make power? ? BLAH !
Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

So after testing the "new cold table" on a cery cold day....single digits....my car started and idled well at first then started hunting....up and down, up and down. This is after I changed the cold areas of the new table to all 128.

I have since changed them back to what they were stock and all is back to normal.

I cleaned my TB extremely well. I was amazed at the crud on the BISS. It was all gunked up. There is an odd spring thing on the back side of the TB. It has one screw holding it in place. Upon pulling it out it appears to be some kind of diverter that is mounted on a spring. As far as I can tell the spring is most likely affected by temperature. The diverter itself was covered in crud too. After a couple hours with some Q tips and some TB cleaner, it looks like new again. Reinstalled it, started the car and turns out I had to turn the BISS in nearly a full turn.

Finally, I went in and lowered my timing in the 1500 rpm cells and below 70 load. My car idles at 1100 rpm very, very good now.

CLIFF NOTES....

Clean your TB
Lower timing in cells that could affect timing when cold
Adjust BISS
Leave the "new" table alone

Oh and my IACV works perfectly well. Jeff, I will drop yours in the mail later this week. THANKS.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
So after testing the "new cold table" on a cery cold day....single digits....my car started and idled well at first then started hunting....up and down, up and down. This is after I changed the cold areas of the new table to all 128.

I have since changed them back to what they were stock and all is back to normal.

I cleaned my TB extremely well. I was amazed at the crud on the BISS. It was all gunked up. There is an odd spring thing on the back side of the TB. It has one screw holding it in place. Upon pulling it out it appears to be some kind of diverter that is mounted on a spring. As far as I can tell the spring is most likely affected by temperature. The diverter itself was covered in crud too. After a couple hours with some Q tips and some TB cleaner, it looks like new again. Reinstalled it, started the car and turns out I had to turn the BISS in nearly a full turn.

Finally, I went in and lowered my timing in the 1500 rpm cells and below 70 load. My car idles at 1100 rpm very, very good now.

CLIFF NOTES....

Clean your TB
Lower timing in cells that could affect timing when cold
Adjust BISS
Leave the "new" table alone

Oh and my IACV works perfectly well. Jeff, I will drop yours in the mail later this week. THANKS.
Good deal Paul
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

I made some changes to the findings on the OP.

I believe we can call this issue a done deal.

GREAT JOB team ! !

Hopefully this topic gets stickied.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>Post Primer tables set to match 9417xxxx
>
>Decel Fuel Cut tables set to match 9417xxxx

Can someone post up a screenshot of these tables for an 03 Evo (008, 0014, 0015). I can't seem to find them in my old stock Roms.

I've made all the changes in this thread other than the above tables, and my cold starts are much improved. I can also drive the car out of the neighborhood without it bucking, sputtering and leaning out on me.

My idle is a little higher than everyone else's here, as it jumps to a little over 2000rpm before starting to adjust down as the coolant temps warm up. FWIW, temps here are in the teens. I haven't logged AFR's yet to see if there is any effect on them, but so far, so good. Thanks a bunch.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Recently switched to a 9653 bigmap ROM. Everything seemed fine, except warmup idle was high. It would start at about 2000 and drift down to ~1,100. One problem that I found had to do with my bigmap translation. When I used the excel file, I copy and pasted my old maps along with their axes. Then copy and pasted the bigmaps back into the new ROM. I forgot to check the bigmap axes in the spreadsheet. They were not the same as the ROM. I fixed the error and my idle is now back to normal.

This is not likely everyones problem, but I thought I'd post my experience. There's a chance someone out there will do the same thing, right?

Last edited by AutoXer; Apr 13, 2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evoryder

iscv steps ftw

gonna throw my car on the dyno this weekend ...might do a boost leak test lol might not.
+1
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

^ ?
Old Sep 14, 2010, 06:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoryder
^ ?
iscv steps ftw
Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Ok? ... :/
Old Sep 15, 2010, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
iscv steps ftw
I think he's asking what that means. I'd also like to know, since my idle is a little rough on FIC 950's.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

I had this issue since day one and I'm the first owner of my car. The freaking dealer said it was normal. i can't just get in the car and drive off, I got to wait a minute or two in the summer and 5 to 10 in the winter... no quick getaway for me.

Quick Reply: Poor Cold Idle (Yes I searched)