Old Oct 12, 2010, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It started when u switched to SD
Old Oct 12, 2010, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah

Edit: I watched evoscan during warmup, and there is some table somewhere advancing timing quite a bit, and leaning it out a whole lot. I changed the Low Coolant Timing Trim from all 0's and negative 11's to +5deg, and I zeroed out the Percent Low Temp Timing Trim vs Coolant Temp. Car felt like it ran better at initial startup (~50 deg), but still died, and was harder to start afterward, like it was flooded out.

Last edited by F0RSAKEN; Oct 13, 2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've recently changed from 90550001 v5.1 to 96530706 v7 on my JDM Evo 7. The first thing I noticed was the high rpm (2K+) for a minute or so during cold start as well as the bogging down at low rpm.

I just made the following changes and it's made a big difference Thanks Appauldd, FF and everyone else who contributed

- Percent Low Temp Timing Trim vs Coolant Temp- all columns set to 0%
- Ignition Unknown Map (Warm-up?) - set to match high octane timing map
- ISCV settings. Copied all from my old 90550001 rom
- BISS adjusted (clockwise) until hit target idle when warm (was idling a bit high when warm)

Note that I didn't touch any of the periphery settings listed (EGR System Enable/Disable is still set to 1). I wasn't sure what a lot of the periphery changes were for, so tried the above and it worked OK for me. Note that it still does rev to 2K very briefly on startup, but quickly drops back to normal.

Settings attached.

Poor Cold Idle (Yes I searched)-coldstart.jpg
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Also, here's a log of a cold start (with the abvove settings) until engine temp reaches 83* C (181* F). I tried to log during crank, but for some reason, EvoScan seems to lock up on some of the data logging items and fill the logs with the same values So this log starts shortly after cranking.

The RPM jumps around quite a bit for the first half of the warmup process, but eventually settles around 1000rpm which is close to my idle setting. There may be more I can do to stabilise it, not sure...

http://www.users.on.net/~chris.matth..._coldstart.zip
Attached Files

Last edited by Eisen7; Nov 27, 2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Eisen7
Also, here's a log of a cold start (with the abvove settings) until engine temp reaches 83* C (181* F). I tried to log during crank, but for some reason, EvoScan seems to lock up on some of the data logging items and fill the logs with the same values So this log starts shortly after cranking.

The RPM jumps around quite a bit for the first half of the warmup process, but eventually settles around 1000rpm which is close to my idle setting. There may be more I can do to stabilise it, not sure...

Attachment 162030
that zip files corrupt.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

OK changed link. Try that one
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:36 AM

My car started fine in the cold, it would be the trying to drive away issue. If I didn't allow the car to warm up, the car would want to stall, and if it did...good luck starting it. The car would hang at <300 rpm's...die...try again and maybe it would catch, very strange indeed.

So, I re-enabled the EGR and poof the problem is gone. I've had it this way for a couple weeks in pretty cold weather ~10-30 deg, high altitude(went snowboarding) and the problem has not surfaced once.

Just wanted to add how I solved my issue, I know there are many, many variations to the problem and variations to the solution.

Good luck
Old Dec 9, 2010, 04:15 AM
Evolving Member

I'm still having a bit of trouble where the car splutters a bit as you drive off when it's cold (my adjusted settings are a few posts above).

Just wondering if the "Post Cranking Transient Enrichment vs Coolant Temp" settings would be of use here? It's like the car just needs a fraction more fuel as it's coming up to temp so it doesn't splutter for that first minute or so of driving...

This is what the post cranking setting looks like now:
Poor Cold Idle (Yes I searched)-postcranking.jpg
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

I'm having the same problems as the OP. The problem started as soon as I switched over to tephra v7. I tried some of the fixes from the OP (also have egr blocked off). When I flash my rom back to pre-tephra it idles fine. I'm guessing running e85 doesn't help either. I've tried modifying the async_vs_TPS maps and also richening the main fuel map at idle load and RPMS. It's helped slightly, but still getting the lean tip in.

edit: I've also messed with the timing maps to increase timing, and messed with the timing during warm up to take away less timing.

Last edited by Kings Fan; Jan 26, 2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

I ended up disabling the EGR via the setting in 'Other ECU Options' and this seems to have fixed the problem where the car goes super lean and splutters when you first drive off when cold Finally my car is cold starting like normal again on v7!

The strange thing is, that I changed the setting, then did a cold start and it was no better. However a few days later (with no ECU changes) it's cold starting and driving without issue

The only thing I can think of is that I've no longer got the laptop plugged in to the car. Surely that wouldn't make any difference?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eisen7
I ended up disabling the EGR via the setting in 'Other ECU Options' and this seems to have fixed the problem where the car goes super lean and splutters when you first drive off when cold Finally my car is cold starting like normal again on v7!

The strange thing is, that I changed the setting, then did a cold start and it was no better. However a few days later (with no ECU changes) it's cold starting and driving without issue

The only thing I can think of is that I've no longer got the laptop plugged in to the car. Surely that wouldn't make any difference?
I think it is the different weather temps. Are you 100% certain the weather was the same on both occasions?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bambooi
I think it is the different weather temps. Are you 100% certain the weather was the same on both occasions?
Yes it was the same weather and both days quite warm (Australian summer). I might switch on the EGR again and see if I can break it to confirm that's what it was.

{EDIT} One thing I've noticed since setting the 'EGR System Enable/Disable' to 0, is that my AFR's in closed loop are a tad richer and economy seems worse. Has anyone noticed this? I haven't done anything with the EGR hardware like fit a block off plate etc. Should I not disable EGR in the ECU without removing all the hardware?

Last edited by Eisen7; Mar 2, 2011 at 04:12 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

I'm bumping this, having horrible cold idle.......

Ever since I blocked off my egr and disabled it warm up has been a pain. For the first sec or two afrs are normal then I get an idle surge and afrs jump between 13.5 and very lean. If I push the clutch in and rev the motor it sputters, loses power and wants to stall. I have to wait a few minutes until the idle settles at where it's set then afrs are stoich and no sputtering.

I, like the rest am very annoyed by this. No boost leaks, vac leaks. I'm stumped it was fine before.

Last edited by nytalonTSi; Apr 21, 2011 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Poor Cold Idle (Yes I searched)