Notices
ECU Flash

Not scaling injectors..and fail emissions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Not scaling injectors..and fail emissions

Ok a few weeks ago I checked my friends rom in his evo 8...
And found out his injectors (780) weren't scaled,, But what the guy did was
lean out the fuel maps,,,,
Ok my question is will this make him fail a emission test....
THANKS,,,,
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most likely, yes, the map is for WOT the ECU attempts to use the feedback from the front o2 sensor to control the injectors using the STFT and LTFT (short term fuel trim and Long term fuel trim). If the injectors weren't properly scaled then most likely those trims are maxed out and the car is still running rich at idle and during closed loop cruise. This will cause it to fail the emissions check if they do the sniffer test (put the sensor in your tail pipe). Since you clearly have a tactrix cable if you pulled his ROM as you said. Then log his STFT and LTFT and see where they are. Read the ECU flash section of this forum for directions on how to scale them properly then re-tune. Or contact Mellon or one of the other highly reputable tuners on this forum.

Josh
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

He bought the car that way,,,, All they did was lean out the fuel trims,,,,
scaling was left untouched,,,, (stock) and the car had 780's installed,,
Originally Posted by jmelocik
Most likely, yes, the map is for WOT the ECU attempts to use the feedback from the front o2 sensor to control the injectors using the STFT and LTFT (short term fuel trim and Long term fuel trim). If the injectors weren't properly scaled then most likely those trims are maxed out and the car is still running rich at idle and during closed loop cruise. This will cause it to fail the emissions check if they do the sniffer test (put the sensor in your tail pipe). Since you clearly have a tactrix cable if you pulled his ROM as you said. Then log his STFT and LTFT and see where they are. Read the ECU flash section of this forum for directions on how to scale them properly then re-tune. Or contact Mellon or one of the other highly reputable tuners on this forum.

Josh

Last edited by ant_turbo; Oct 10, 2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to scale it correctly. Logging fuel trims is the corrrect method to dial in the injectors. After that you'll need to figure out the latency of the injectors for it to run correctly in different weather conditions
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

My bad,,,, he put back the stock injectors but the tune is still in there,,,,,
leaned out fuel maps on stock injectors.......

Originally Posted by rdtech
You need to scale it correctly. Logging fuel trims is the corrrect method to dial in the injectors. After that you'll need to figure out the latency of the injectors for it to run correctly in different weather conditions
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ant_turbo
My bad,,,, he put back the stock injectors but the tune is still in there,,,,,
leaned out fuel maps on stock injectors.......
If he put the stock injectors back in it I would put the stock latencies and scaling back in the ROM and go with a stock fuel map until he passes emissions then get it tuned properly. I would read the ECU flash forum on here to gain as much knowledge as you can, if you want it done now I would highly recommend taking it to a reputable tuner or contacting Mellon as I said earlier. Don't drive it hard until it gets fixed properly.

Josh
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

They never touched the latencies .... What I am going to do is flash it with a stock rom,,,,, Then hav him go back to REF STATION and retest...
Then put back his 780's and all his mods back on,,,take him to RRE for a tune,,,
Originally Posted by jmelocik
If he put the stock injectors back in it I would put the stock latencies and sceraling back in the ROM and go with a stock fuel map until he passes emissions then get it tuned properly. I would read the ECU flash forum on here to gain as much knowledge as you can, if you want it done now I would highly recommend taking it to a reputable tuner or contacting Mellon as I said earlier. Don't drive it hard until it gets fixed properly.

Josh
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like a good plan.

Josh