Notices
ECU Flash

High Res Evo8 PCB pics?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Res Evo8 PCB pics?

Does anyone have any high resolution Evo8 PCB pics?

I'm trying to get a look at the driver IC.

Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
PCB?

driver IC?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drill_Sergeant
PCB?

driver IC?
PCB- printed circuit board
IC- integrated circuit
Old Jan 7, 2010, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Drill_Sergeant
PCB?

driver IC?
PCB = Printed Circuit Board, the ecu with the case off.

IC = Integrated Circuit.

Driver IC = The component that turns the solenoids on and off.

Edit: Beat me to it.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 04:18 AM

I wonder what do you need it for
Old Jan 8, 2010, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's not an VIII, but here's a couple of pictures of an IX PCB (click for the Flickr page, go to "all sizes" for full-size):

I've also got the PCB from my '99 DSM ECU in that set. I don't have pictures of my VIII ECU yet; just haven't had a chance to pull it from the car.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nabilsx
I wonder what do you need it for
Originally Posted by Ceddy
I'm trying to get a look at the driver IC.
Originally Posted by logic
It's not an VIII, but here's a couple of pictures of an IX PCB (click for the Flickr page, go to "all sizes" for full-size):

I've also got the PCB from my '99 DSM ECU in that set. I don't have pictures of my VIII ECU yet; just haven't had a chance to pull it from the car.
Nice pics. I always get a flash reflection when I try using my cheap camera.

It looks like they changed a lot of ICs in the 9, I couldn't really tell which one is the driver IC, but it definitely doesn't match my H8.

I'm hoping the H8 and Evo8 have the same driver IC, so I can use the same resistance boost control solenoid.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Ceddy, if I get a chance this weekend, I'll pull the ECU out of my VIII and get PCB pictures (the car isn't running right now anyway, but I'll need to dig it out of a snowbank to get to it).

Were those good enough for your purposes? (ie. was anything hard to see in the full-size version that you wished you could have seen?) I had my wife shoot those so they'd be maximally useful to people besides me; there's been more than a few occasions when I've wished I could find good PCB pics of other devices, so figured I'd at least take pictures of what I had lying around to help other people out.

Re flash reflection: yeah, me too. My wife has a slick little diffusing pop-up cube thing that she can stick stuff like that in, and then she just surrounds it with cheap lighting. It really helps when she's doing product shots of anything reflective or polished.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 01:40 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm hoping the H8 and Evo8 have the same driver IC, so I can use the same resistance boost control solenoid.
FYI I believe the VIII and IX use the same driver. Resistance for the BCS on both of them is rated the same at ~31ohm and the BCS is the same on both cars.

Re flash reflection: yeah, me too. My wife has a slick little diffusing pop-up cube thing that she can stick stuff like that in, and then she just surrounds it with cheap lighting. It really helps when she's doing product shots of anything reflective or polished.
Lightbox and macro love <3
Old Jan 8, 2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by fostytou
Lightbox and macro love <3
Cheap "low tech" solution is to use a flatbed scanner and a high DPI.

Old Jan 8, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Ceddy, if I get a chance this weekend, I'll pull the ECU out of my VIII and get PCB pictures (the car isn't running right now anyway, but I'll need to dig it out of a snowbank to get to it).

Were those good enough for your purposes? (ie. was anything hard to see in the full-size version that you wished you could have seen?) I had my wife shoot those so they'd be maximally useful to people besides me; there's been more than a few occasions when I've wished I could find good PCB pics of other devices, so figured I'd at least take pictures of what I had lying around to help other people out.

Those full size pics are great, you can see the IC labels and everything.

FYI I believe the VIII and IX use the same driver. Resistance for the BCS on both of them is rated the same at ~31ohm and the BCS is the same on both cars.
The VIII and IX use a different IC I think, but can't even find a low res pic now to compare.

The DSMs switched solenoids from ~36 to ~70 ohms, between the 2Ga and 2Gbs, according to the FSM. If the Evo8 and 2Gbs has the same IC or IC ratings, I would feel a lot better about using a GM 3-Port or Evo EGR solenoid.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 02:21 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Those full size pics are great, you can see the IC labels and everything.

The VIII and IX use a different IC I think, but can't even find a low res pic now to compare.

The DSMs switched solenoids from ~36 to ~70 ohms, between the 2Ga and 2Gbs, according to the FSM. If the Evo8 and 2Gbs has the same IC or IC ratings, I would feel a lot better about using a GM 3-Port or Evo EGR solenoid.
It may not be the answer that you want to hear (and you may already know it), but swapping an eeprop 2ga into a 2gb was extremely common practice, so I'd be surprised if it caused any problems (though I don't like to rely on that).
Old Jan 8, 2010, 02:24 PM
Account Disabled

Well, even at that it is a switching voltage so you need impedance at a certain Hz. DC resistance doesn't tell you anything about alternating current impedance. To be perfectly honest, I know you are trying to keep from damaging the ecu, but you will most likely be fine running a GM 3 port without a resistor. I don't know if it matters but I ran a GM 3 port on my 1g ecu just fine.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

It may not be the answer that you want to hear (and you may already know it), but swapping an eeprop 2ga into a 2gb was extremely common practice, so I'd be surprised if it caused any problems (though I don't like to rely on that).
Originally Posted by 0xDEAD
Well, even at that it is a switching voltage so you need impedance at a certain Hz. DC resistance doesn't tell you anything about alternating current impedance. To be perfectly honest, I know you are trying to keep from damaging the ecu, but you will most likely be fine running a GM 3 port without a resistor. I don't know if it matters but I ran a GM 3 port on my 1g ecu just fine.
The 1G and 95-96 use ~36 ohm solenoids like the Evos, so they will be fine.

The 98-99 ecu that I'm using switched to a ~70 ohm for some reason. Which will have almost x2 stock current using a 36 ohm solenoid and even more with a GM 3-Port.

I'm thinking Mitsu had a good reason to switch solenoids with the 2Gb ecus. Unless they had a surplus of 70 ohms they wanted to get rid of or something.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

That reminds me, I have a DSMLink'd '95 ECU collecting dust in my 2g that I should probably take some PCB pictures of (although I think Tom and Dave have some pretty good shots on their website, at least on their wiki where they document all the damaged boards they've received).

When I get a little closer to swapping the IX ECU into our 1g, I might as well take PCB pictures of the the 1g ECU too (although again, I think Steve has some pretty good shots on his website).

Quick Reply: High Res Evo8 PCB pics?