Notices
ECU Flash

SD 3750rpm leans out/stutters any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Isn't SD tuning fun? I've still got bugs with my 9653 SD set-up on BF 272s with a 3.5 bar Kavlico, but nothing like what you are describing.

Did you derive the 3.5 bar settings for direct boost control? I have not been able to find or derive those. I did use the 3.5 bar SD scaling in the SD links thread without a hitch, so I think it's okay.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Isn't SD tuning fun? I've still got bugs with my 9653 SD set-up on BF 272s with a 3.5 bar Kavlico, but nothing like what you are describing.

Did you derive the 3.5 bar settings for direct boost control? I have not been able to find or derive those. I did use the 3.5 bar SD scaling in the SD links thread without a hitch, so I think it's okay.

I have them phenem's rom should have them built in though.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ar-sensor.html
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think thats my problem, i did try changing the sensor calibration (it skewed the left column), but i never reset the left column back with the new sensor. i'll give that a try tonight and see how it goes!!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Creamo3
Curious to see what the fix is; I've experienced the same issue on my car and have been chasing my tail to resolve it. Same RPM region (3750-4000) after which it pulls clean again. I've messed w/ both RPM VE, MAP VE, jitter settings, verified MAP sensor calibration, etc. I was starting to think it was either the result of running the Magnus V5 and using a vacuum hose for the map sensor or the BR dual pump w/ Hobbs switch (should make richer though?). Good luck and post up if you figure it out.

haha, no kidding! these setups are pretty similiar then... i pulled the fuse on the double pumper thinking it was causing issues because i have had that happen before (hobbs switch triggered to low and fuel pressure was spiking to 100+psi and car would buck hard... new higher switching hobbs switch fixed that problem). i also thought it could be resonances in the vacuum line to the MAP sensor, so we cut the line about 5 inches shorter (its about 2 inches long now) to see if the resonance frequency changed.... of course it didn't
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
i think thats my problem, i did try changing the sensor calibration (it skewed the left column), but i never reset the left column back with the new sensor. i'll give that a try tonight and see how it goes!!
Kevin I pm'ed you my number if you want give me a call and I can walk you through a few things to try
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Post up your SD MAP Sensor VE and Calibration table like Kevin did so we can take a look and see if you have the same issue with the scaling being off.
See attached screen shot. Currently using Jitter fix #1, although I never had the issue in the lower RPM range. I'm using the Omni 4-bar, I won't be able to test until tomorrow as my engine build just wrapped up.

XML def: <table name="SD MAP Sensor VE and Calibration" category="Speed Density Tuning" address="32e8" type="2D" level="2" scaling="MAP VE load">
<table name="MAP" address="32c6" type="Y Axis" elements="8" scaling="kPa OMNI4barMAP"/>
</table>
Attached Thumbnails SD 3750rpm leans out/stutters   any ideas?-sd-settings.png  
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

See attached screen shot. Currently using Jitter fix #1, although I never had the issue in the lower RPM range. I'm using the Omni 4-bar, I won't be able to test until tomorrow as my engine build just wrapped up.

XML def: <table name="SD MAP Sensor VE and Calibration" category="Speed Density Tuning" address="32e8" type="2D" level="2" scaling="MAP VE load">
<table name="MAP" address="32c6" type="Y Axis" elements="8" scaling="kPa OMNI4barMAP"/>
</table>
So it goes horribly lean but only at this rpm range?

You have taken the same steps such as upping the VE in those ranges?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
So it goes horribly lean but only at this rpm range?

You have taken the same steps such as upping the VE in those ranges?
It sputters between going lean and then back to normal in this range. I've adjusted VE on many occassions w/o success.

The only other similarity is that the car acted the same way on 9417 SD prior to V7 being released.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

It sputters between going lean and then back to normal in this range. I've adjusted VE on many occassions w/o success.

The only other similarity is that the car acted the same way on 9417 SD prior to V7 being released.
It could be a mechanical issue like the second fuel pump having trouble coming on if the effect can't be tuned out with software.

You could also try the original rom the 9653 one to see if its some odd incompatibility.

Last edited by RoadSpike; Apr 13, 2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:28 PM
Former Sponsor

ok, so tried:

5bar map sensor = still had the problem
tried ecu from an 04 evo 8 = still had the problem
tried road spikes tune with our injector scaling = still had the problem
tried roadspikes tune scaled for the 3.5bar = still had the problem
tried putting a MAF on with a basic rom (not V7) = still had the problem which means its mechanical

so then we tried hot wiring the second pump from the buschur double pumper and disconnected the primary pump = still had the problem

took out the sparktech CDI and went to stock coils = still had the problem but got a little better

going to try the injectors back to stock... can't think of much else... cam angle sensor maybe?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:56 PM
Former Sponsor

well who wudda thunk it! it was the cam angle sensor. car revs through 3750 no problem now! now to put all the parts back on and tune it
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Edit:

Just saw your post congrads!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that Helped out. Finally we figured it out and who would have guessed it would be the last thing we would try. Now its time to make some power
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

Last edited by Drooke; Apr 14, 2010 at 06:05 PM.

Quick Reply: SD 3750rpm leans out/stutters any ideas?