Notices
ECU Flash

stationary rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2010, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
stationary rev limiter

why does the stationary rev limiter work and then decide it doesnt want to abide by the set rpm? It caused me to do a launch at 7000rpm and i know my transfercase wasnt happy and i had to fight the car sideways for a good 300ft or i would have ended up in a ditch?

Basically it works but if you hit it to long it stops working and just hits the engine rev limiter instead? Anyway to fix this?
Old May 5, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure the switch on the clutch pedal is working properly. Some have experienced problems with this.
Old May 6, 2010, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

there are user defineable values to set the stationary rev limit(two stop)
Old May 6, 2010, 09:42 PM
Former Sponsor

as in what? the time it stays active and stuff?
Old May 6, 2010, 09:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chmodlf
Make sure the switch on the clutch pedal is working properly. Some have experienced problems with this.
the stationary rev limiter doesnt work that way tho. you dont need to push the clutch in to activate it. i think what happened was my car was rolling to fast and the ecu decided i was no longer in a stationary position. I have it set to 5800 and that is about 6000 when its said and done.
Old May 6, 2010, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Well for launch maps you can set MPH for them to be activated...

Stationary Rev limit your car must be at and stand still.

where you moving when your rev limit went up?
Old May 6, 2010, 09:59 PM
Former Sponsor

I dont use launch maps and yes it did it before with the cars ebrake up so it was not moving. not sure why it does it. if you hit the limiter to many times it seems to do it. when i launched this time tho yes rolling 2-3mph at best. Theres a bug somewhere causing this or something. Never played with launch maps yet, i might mess with them later on
Old May 6, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Well you shouldnt have to bounce off the limiter for more than 2 seconds or so...

Are you going out there and being a "ricer" lol...
Old May 6, 2010, 10:26 PM
Former Sponsor

you cant be a ricer with a car like mine lol........ i suppose you could try tho. my cars built from top to bottom. id just like my 2step to operate properly so when i need it its there.
Old May 6, 2010, 10:29 PM
Former Sponsor

and btw 2step is just a slang term, it not a real definition. The only reason mitsubishi made a stationary rev limit for factory is because they found out people were dumping their clutches and causing the clutches to die before the cars even hit 1,000 miles. So they got sick of replacing clutches under warranty and released the roms with updates. The very first evo's did not have stationary rev limits.
Old May 6, 2010, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
and btw 2step is just a slang term, it not a real definition. The only reason mitsubishi made a stationary rev limit for factory is because they found out people were dumping their clutches and causing the clutches to die before the cars even hit 1,000 miles. So they got sick of replacing clutches under warranty and released the roms with updates. The very first evo's did not have stationary rev limits.
They had them. Just from the factory the older VIIIs had it set higher than the regular rev limiter so you couldn't hit it.

I also seriously doubt that the reason for rev limiter being lowered in the later Evos is the one listed above. You could still can still dump the clutch if the car is rolling a bit and thus with a big enough idiot that change wouldn't do very much.

But given enough reasonable proof that could be true. Where's the proof ?

Last edited by codgi; May 6, 2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old May 6, 2010, 11:07 PM
Former Sponsor

i dont have any proof. Its just i believe it was back in 2004? when i was in a nabr channel on irc and a few of them guys had evo's back then, i couldnt afford to own a evo tho at that time, and they were talking about how mitsubishi was complaining of all the issues occuring with the evos. like the freeze plugs flying off the waterpumps and other stupid stuff that shouldnt have been occuring. they said they had about 2 evos a week come in with clutches slipping with under 1,000 miles on the cars. and they were talking about how they were chatting to the mitsubishi employees about it and they said they were releasing a ecu fix to help control/alter the issue. of course wasnt it set to 4-5k factory anyways? so thats still enough to do damage....

i only ever made the mistake of dumping a clutch one time in my evo and it felt like the engine fell out....

but even slipping it, im not trying to go for anymore 7k launches. im sure the rear axles were not happy one bit.
Old May 6, 2010, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
i dont have any proof. Its just i believe it was back in 2004? when i was in a nabr channel on irc and a few of them guys had evo's back then, i couldnt afford to own a evo tho at that time, and they were talking about how mitsubishi was complaining of all the issues occuring with the evos. like the freeze plugs flying off the waterpumps and other stupid stuff that shouldnt have been occuring. they said they had about 2 evos a week come in with clutches slipping with under 1,000 miles on the cars. and they were talking about how they were chatting to the mitsubishi employees about it and they said they were releasing a ecu fix to help control/alter the issue. of course wasnt it set to 4-5k factory anyways? so thats still enough to do damage....

i only ever made the mistake of dumping a clutch one time in my evo and it felt like the engine fell out....

but even slipping it, im not trying to go for anymore 7k launches. im sure the rear axles were not happy one bit.
Fair enough. The earlier post about the clutch switch is the only thing I could think about. With the stationary rev limiter most folks that have had intermittment problems in the past have had it due to a faulty/failing clutch switch. In your earlier post I think you mentioned that you don't have to clutch in to have this work. But actually you do . If you just keep the car stationary with no clutch in, and rev you hit the regular limiter. Clutch in is when you hit the stationary limiter.
Old May 6, 2010, 11:23 PM
Former Sponsor

no you dont. i just did it 24 hrs ago in my driveway without the clutch. the only thing that uses a clutch switch is no lift to shift. - This isnt dsmlink/ecmlink
Old May 7, 2010, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

I know 2-step is just slang, but i bet its just that your car was moving...

Quick Reply: stationary rev limiter