Holy knock!!

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2010, 01:29 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Holy knock!!

installed Cosworth 272s on my car.

when i installed them, i also did a timing belt change since i were in there already. i lined up the crank, oil pump, and both cam gears, installed the timing belt, tensioned it (using Mitu's pain-in-the-*** tensioning method), and turned the car over QUITE a few times by hand. everything still lined up (didn't rotate it enough to get the oil pump to line up again, but the belt didn't jump, so should be fine.
lifters were bled. everything torqued to spec.
is there anything i needed to do with the mivec gear? i assumed what oil would spill out would refill as the car runs.

drove the car. logged 18ish counts of knock. what in hell??? at one point it's up to 38 counts! here are the logs:

http://home.comcast.net/~drivetilidie/log1knock.csv
http://home.comcast.net/~drivetilidie/log2knock.csv

problem seems to be between 3000 and 4500rpm depending on if i am boosting or not.

i never touched the knock sensor.
i'm stumped. disappointed (this has been a month-long install, as i don't have much time to spend on the car).

P.S. no tuning has been done. this is all on the tune from stock cams, cone filter, and 3" TBE. only change made is the cams.

Last edited by kaj; Jun 12, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Links to the logs aren't working. Says "coming soon"
Old May 30, 2010, 02:31 PM
kaj

haha. really? okay. lemme try again. comcast is giving me issues. stand by
Old May 30, 2010, 02:37 PM
kaj

i think the links are fixed. user error. haha. right click, save as.
Old May 30, 2010, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

This is very interesting, you seem to have exactly the same problem as I had/have, and we have the same cams. I ended up having the knock sensor replaced, and the big knock counts went away, however I still get weird knock counts every now and then and we are still having trouble tuning the timing correctly. Here's one of my older logs before I replaced the knock sensor that looks very similar to yours:

And after replacing the knock sensor:

This has me very interested, I'll ask both my tuner & mechanic to check out this thread, as my cams might be installed wrong as well!
Old May 30, 2010, 05:04 PM
kaj

Edit double post.

Last edited by kaj; Jun 12, 2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 05:06 PM
kaj

PS: where ARE our knock sensors? LOL
Old May 30, 2010, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

It's on the back of the block, under the intake manifold. You can just barely touch it if you take out the battery and reach around the block, but with all the wires and piping back there it's a real ***** to get to. The shop that did the replacement put the car on their lift and went in from under the car, which is only slightly easier, from what the mechanic told me after he did it.

Here's a pic of where the knock sensor is located.

Old May 30, 2010, 07:55 PM
kaj

man. that's gonna be a pain in the ***. haha. pretty much remove by feel, huh?
Old May 30, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

I guess you can actually see it if you can get under the car, but if you're going to try going around where the battery is, good luck. I have a pretty long a slim arm, and I could JUST barely touch it. There was no way I was going to be able to fit any kind of tool to screw it out. I don't know exactly how they did it at the garage though.

I wouldn't replace the sensor yet though, I'll check with my tuner/mechanic and see what they think. I'm bringing the car in hopefully this week anyway for a new head gasket, so we'll have a good chance to check the cams at the same time.
Old May 30, 2010, 09:15 PM
kaj

i have access to a lift. so, i can get under the car if i need to. but i've never had a problem with the sensor before.. weird that it would happen now.

i'll wait to hear your tuner's idea. i've checked everything.

Last edited by kaj; Jun 12, 2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:47 PM
kaj

update:

i found out the cam trigger sensors are different. so i pulled them and, sure enough, they have different part numbers.

so.. i googled one of the part numbers. it came up at the VIII exh sensor.. so, it stands to reason the other is intake. i installed them as such and cut my knock counts in HALF. i now average 4-7 counts with two instances of up to 18. much better than 38.
so.. getting there.
this is all with no adjustment to the knock settings in ECUflash, no other tuning from before the cams.

wish me luck!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is possible that some of your knock could be real. Whenever you change cams, they will need re-tuning. Overlap differences, valve lift, ramp rates and other changes in the cams change the engine's VE, among other things, which require different timing and fuel changes.

When you retard ignition timing 5 degs, does it go away? I see that you've got most of the knock issue worked out, the rest might just be real knock. Don't change knock sensor settings until you know for sure what the knock issue really is. If it's in the tune, tune the engine for what it needs to run safely.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 09:58 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by iTune
It is possible that some of your knock could be real. Whenever you change cams, they will need re-tuning. Overlap differences, valve lift, ramp rates and other changes in the cams change the engine's VE, among other things, which require different timing and fuel changes.

When you retard ignition timing 5 degs, does it go away? I see that you've got most of the knock issue worked out, the rest might just be real knock. Don't change knock sensor settings until you know for sure what the knock issue really is. If it's in the tune, tune the engine for what it needs to run safely.
we've done 0 tuning, so far. my tuner (see my sig) is working on a new ROM. the timing change is easy and i can try myself. i work 12 or 24hr days, so my time with the car is limited. i'll try tonight, though. i'll knock back 5 degrees across the board to see what happens.

my tune was semi aggressive on the stock cams 'cause it could be. so, no doubt i need adjustments now. i figure between that and some different "noises" the knock sensor may be picking up....

i just hope it all goes away. i missing driving the s**t out of my car.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
i missing driving the s**t out of my car.
Me too! Except I haven't even ever had a chance to drive the s**t out of it, since I just bought it :S

Quick Reply: Holy knock!!