Notices
ECU Flash

Idle Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by charlie.tunah
Im using 96530706. The very first time this ever happened was when I switched from the 96940011 to the 96530006 rom.

here is my first post about the issue in '08. Just been running the map-maf patch ever since and its been fine. Im really trying not to load that patch back on the car. I know its just masking the real problem. And I plan to go SD once I get V7 MAF running properly, so Im trying to eliminate any "extra" stuff.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...g-my-maps.html

fwiw, Im attempting to use as many "stock" settings (minus timing/fuel obviously) as I can in the phenem rom. The maps in that post are far from what it looks like now.

sal, sorry for the hijack. There really should be an stalling "mega-merge" in the stickies.

Try 9417. It is a US ROM and need a lot less tweaking to make it idle correctly.

Also 9417 can be used on an 05 car, as I have tested it on an 05 car.

So give it a try, see if it works better for you. (but if you have messed with your BISS screw to try to fix 9653, you may need to readjust it when going to 9417. If you didnt adjust it, then you dont need to mess with it while using 9417)
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ will do. thanks man. The only concern I have is support for SD on that rom as it doesnt currently look like there is a working SD option due to problems...

any truth to the "mushiness" as reported in the v7 thread?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

I have spent 7 months tryign to fix this, too lazy to list the things i have tried.

in short all of them.

from BISS to SD conversion... car still stalls on decel when clutch goes in ..... it started when i drastically changed the fly wheel mass ( QM 7.25" twin clutch) from stock clutch..
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor

^^ will do. thanks man. The only concern I have is support for SD on that rom as it doesnt currently look like there is a working SD option due to problems...

any truth to the "mushiness" as reported in the v7 thread?
Yeah, as of now, theres no 9417 V7 SD ROM. And dont know if there will be (but there should be)

The "mushiness" thing is a personal opinion IMHO. I didnt experience it when testing 9471 V7 and 9653 V7.

But there may be some truth to it, as 9653 may/probably has less code then 9417 (since it lacks emissions stuff), which in turn would make it so the ECU can do calculations quicker and give it a more "crisp" feeling, kinda like a standalone does.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Cant get the 9417 rom to start. I think I need the immob hex xml addition. But just for the heck of it, I loaded up my original 96940011 rom that I bought the car with. And put it through the same test Ive been doing to test settings on the 9653 rom. (back and forth in the driveway) The issue is NOWHERE near as bad. RPM drops to about 800-850 and come back somewhat quickly. That is with stock maf scaling, idle, etc. And its now got an ETS intake which I know doesnt like stock scaling. Almost positive it will run decent with some tuning.

What I dont get is why so many folks report no issues with the 9653 rom. Ive always have had them. Id really like to run it so its basically a lateral conversion to SD.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im dealing with the same problem i was thinking its the injectors?? its driving me crazy!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cant get the 9417 rom to start. I think I need the immob hex xml addition. But just for the heck of it, I loaded up my original 96940011 rom that I bought the car with. And put it through the same test Ive been doing to test settings on the 9653 rom. (back and forth in the driveway) The issue is NOWHERE near as bad. RPM drops to about 800-850 and come back somewhat quickly. That is with stock maf scaling, idle, etc. And its now got an ETS intake which I know doesnt like stock scaling. Almost positive it will run decent with some tuning.

What I dont get is why so many folks report no issues with the 9653 rom. Ive always have had them. Id really like to run it so its basically a lateral conversion to SD.
I think the only guys that arent having issues w/ that rom, are the guys that bought the car w/ a 9653 ecu. Im sure Some1 will correct me if Im wrong...
edit: the starting issue is most likely the immob. hex.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Is it just that once you go SD, these idling issues are gone? Like I said prior, when I was running the early map-maf patch, everything was fine.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 04:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah, mostly you didnt have the immob hex right. Its year dependant. If your using the 9417 V7 .xml that Appauldd put together, then immob hex should be there and it will tell you what to enter for what year.

Yeah, some issues can be cured by using a US ROM on a US car.

And there was actually a lot of complaints against 9653, which is the reason me, appauldd and others pushed to have a 9417 V7 made.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 02:53 AM
Evolved Member

wow. his xml is much more defined than the one in the tephra link. I figured the hex xml is all it was, just figured all we needed would be there in the download. Im gonna mess with it some today and see what I come up with. Also, take that craptastic greddy dv off of the car lol.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 03:34 AM
Evolved Member

Im still having issues with it. But havent replaced the bov back to the IX yet. Today I plan to change it and do a boost leak test. It pretty much does it when the bov flutters at low rpm, WB shows rich, car stumbles down to 500 rpm.

I installed appauldd's 9417 rom, changed immob, copied fuel/timing, copied iscv (initial steps (WAY higher), stepper table, etc) stuff from my old stock rom, raised idle, adjusted BISS to ~900 rpm (I know a bit high), tuned MAF (LTFTs are within +/-1.5%). And FWIW, I also attempted it with stock values for everything and it stalled out everytime. With my "tuned" settings, it would drop to 500-600 and come back.

I am noticing a wierd issue Ive never had with any other rom...About every 10-15 seconds @ idle, it will go rich, idle drops, stumbles and comes back. Never seen that on the stock rom or the 9653 rom.

Are these also symptoms of some mechanical things? EGR? Ignition? MAF? O2? Ive got 85k on the clock.

And just to make sure I ask the question...When tuning the MAF, is relying on the fuel trims enough or do I need to run open loop and scale until I see what I want on the WB? Im pretty sure Ive seen the latter referenced around here, and just wandering if my "tuned" maf scaling is rust rubbish.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

And just to make sure I ask the question...When tuning the MAF, is relying on the fuel trims enough or do I need to run open loop and scale until I see what I want on the WB? Im pretty sure Ive seen the latter referenced around here, and just wandering if my "tuned" maf scaling is rust rubbish.
Changed back to the IX bov, cleaned maf, cleaned air filter. I did a boost leak test w/ TB open and w/ TB closed. I unhooked the pcv and it leaked a little. Took it off, cleaned in T-body cleaner and moved much more freely afterwards. Still have a leak coming from the motor out the valve cover(turbo seal or valve stem seals, rings?) But it takes a while to air down, no other visible or audible leaks @ 25 psi. Issue is still there after warming up. My car doesnt idle very good with the 9417 rom, almost sounds cammed lol. And Ive copied everything pertinent and tried default values. Going back to the 9653 rom in hopes of find a mechanical problem.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Charlie.tunah....what intake are you running?? Are you running cams too? What are your fuel trims? Did you mess with the MAF scaling? What is your idle RPM settings? Did you adjust the ISCV settings?

In short.....send me a copy of your rom along with a complete mod list. Also include a log of your car at idle.

Same screen name as here at g mail dot com.

I will get your car running well for you.

Paul

Last edited by Appauldd; Jul 18, 2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 18, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

email sent. thanks man.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Charlie....I sent you an email. Try what I suggested and get back to me.

The lesson here is not to make too many changes at once AND.....before you attempt to "tune" anything, you must make sure your LTFTs are spot on.

Quick Reply: Idle Control Problems